Did you Actually get a RTX3080/90? How?

It wasn't directed at anyone specifically, just an observation that the state of the market is completely cooked and the way it gets there most of the time is the complacency of the consumer. The 80 class cards and above should always offer less 'bang for the buck' as the higher you go in a product stack, the lower the value proposition normally becomes. However, I see people justifying ridiculous price creep with the "well it's faster so it should cost more". This is not how PC hardware and the majority of consumer electronics work.

Normally, we upgrade our devices due to something faster being available to purchase after a certain amount of time owning the old or current device. I've rarely, if ever, replaced a PC part due to failure, yet I've upgraded my PC countless times. This shows a want, rather than a need, to replace my current hardware. If we replaced devices simply because they stopped working, we'd hardly ever buy new things compared to the current rate of upgrade cycles. Therefore it's on the manufactures of these devices/products to offer a compelling reason to buy new things when we don't really need them.

If we continue to excuse the price increases we've seen across the Turing and now Ampere generations with the product stack shift, overall increase in MSRP, the fallacy of only the "founders edition" being more expensive than AIB partner cards, the insane existence of the 3090 at $1500, etc. we are creating a world where it's OK to pay 50% more than last generation for the same product segment for 50% more performance. The cycle will never end if this happens and we'll be paying tens of thousands of dollars for GPU's before we know it.

It sounds stupid but that's the logical conclusion to the argument being made by many to support what we've seen over the past 2 - 3 years. Inflation should only be responsible for a very small amount of the increase and should be consistently aligning with financial markets. Even then, the cost of production of each card, not accounting for recent shortages of silicon and other materials required for PC hardware, should be going DOWN since the amount of units sold is MASSIVE compared to 10 years ago. Yes R&D plays a significant role in cost but what magical leaps have we seen recently in anything PC hardware related compared to when 3D accelerators were literally changing the game when introduced 15+ years ago? Hardly anything.

The constant +30% each generation is getting SO boring. As is the predictability of performance in a given product stack. 5%, +5%, +5% +5% for each tier by time the stack has been completely fleshed out.
If a 3090 "only" cost $ 1500, it would be a bargain at today's prices: here in Germany, looking at the market leaders website alternate.de a 3090 costs € 2600-2800.
I paid €936 for my 3080 in November 2020, and felt I'd paid over the odds at the time, but bought it anyway because I wanted to improve my VR performance, and wasn't prepared to wait.
Now I realise I got a bargain ( relatively speaking), when I see that 3080 cards now cost €1600-1800. And the shipping costs extra at alternate.de, despite these prices. It's a crazy world we live in....

Last edited:
It wasn't directed at anyone specifically, just an observation that the state of the market is completely cooked and the way it gets there most of the time is the complacency of the consumer. The 80 class cards and above should always offer less 'bang for the buck' as the higher you go in a product stack, the lower the value proposition normally becomes. However, I see people justifying ridiculous price creep with the "well it's faster so it should cost more". This is not how PC hardware and the majority of consumer electronics work.

Normally, we upgrade our devices due to something faster being available to purchase after a certain amount of time owning the old or current device. I've rarely, if ever, replaced a PC part due to failure, yet I've upgraded my PC countless times. This shows a want, rather than a need, to replace my current hardware. If we replaced devices simply because they stopped working, we'd hardly ever buy new things compared to the current rate of upgrade cycles. Therefore it's on the manufactures of these devices/products to offer a compelling reason to buy new things when we don't really need them.

If we continue to excuse the price increases we've seen across the Turing and now Ampere generations with the product stack shift, overall increase in MSRP, the fallacy of only the "founders edition" being more expensive than AIB partner cards, the insane existence of the 3090 at $1500, etc. we are creating a world where it's OK to pay 50% more than last generation for the same product segment for 50% more performance. The cycle will never end if this happens and we'll be paying tens of thousands of dollars for GPU's before we know it.

It sounds stupid but that's the logical conclusion to the argument being made by many to support what we've seen over the past 2 - 3 years. Inflation should only be responsible for a very small amount of the increase and should be consistently aligning with financial markets. Even then, the cost of production of each card, not accounting for recent shortages of silicon and other materials required for PC hardware, should be going DOWN since the amount of units sold is MASSIVE compared to 10 years ago. Yes R&D plays a significant role in cost but what magical leaps have we seen recently in anything PC hardware related compared to when 3D accelerators were literally changing the game when introduced 15+ years ago? Hardly anything.

The constant +30% each generation is getting SO boring. As is the predictability of performance in a given product stack. 5%, +5%, +5% +5% for each tier by time the stack has been completely fleshed out.
Absolutely!
I only paid that much because since the moment I upgraded my monitor, my 1070 was borderline okayish.
Witcher 3 at 50 fps with gsync, acc at medium settings that looked worse than ac.
Every modern game was low-medium...

I thought about getting a used 1080ti but couldn't find one for less than 400€.
Not worth it...
20xx series were just not a good deal no matter which card.

So I waited and waited and waited and well, I wanted a 3060ti.
The 60ti being the "new 70" due to the increased prices.

But I could only manage to get a msi ventus which was too loud for my taste.
And I managed to get a tuf 70, which is really silent and now the lately arrived 80.

If I would have had a 2060 super or 1080ti, I would still run it.

I really hate what's happening to the market and people are paying it.

Sadly 2 friends and I were really desperate about an upgrade to the point where we stopped playing games we wanted to play because our GPUs were not good enough anymore.

So I'm partly to blame for Nvidia still doing what they're doing but I highly doubt that everyone who bought a 20xx or 30xx card is that frustrated with their current situation.

Although every 1440p triple or vr simracer can't have enough gpu performance :p

Now I realise I got a bargain ( relatively speaking), when I see that 3080 cards now cost €1600-1800. And the shipping costs extra at alternate.de, despite these prices. It's a crazy world we live in....
Don't know if I'd call it a bargain but it's certainly cheaper than current prices.
I'm at 39 in a cue for a gigabyte 3080 but it looks like there's a real chance the orders will get cancelled because the prices are going up on the shop.
I have zero intention of paying these higher prices. Even if they offer me the chance to pay one of the new cards the price has gone up €300 at least. That just feels like rewarding them for not meeting their own promises.

Managed to get a 3080 FE from Scan last week. £660 delivered. Can't quite believe it still.

What worked was a Ctrl Alt Stock discord channel alerts. 3070s and 3080s dropped the same time at about 9am on Thursday morning.

I think Scan have better anti-bot systems than others so the cards don't disappear instantly. I actually entered my billing address wrongly causing payment to fail initially and was still able to fix my mistake and buy. Was probably 2-3mins from adding to my basket to actually completing payment. I was really expecting 'your basket is empty' to pop-up at every stage, but thankfully it never did.

Hope this info helps people in the UK.

Prices have gone up steadily in Canada. I've watched it go from $1000 3070s / $1500 3080s to $2000 3070s / $3000 3080s.

Knowing that it will come down eventually there's no way I'm paying that price now.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.