Tracks Deutschlandring

Are you sure that was me? My track has always followed the real-life route, as closely as possible. I know that someone else started to make the old Hohnstein Bergrennen for AC a while ago - maybe it was him rather than me.
Ah, could be. I'm old and forgetful.
You definitely promised Nazi flying saucers though.

I got another house modelled and in position this afternoon. This house is actually there in real life, on the RHS of Kurve 10, the last bend before the back straight (it was named Kurve 10 as part of the original hill-climb course up the hairpins from Hohnstein.

QrzmoBV.jpg

cEEXrog.jpg

f1ozwoM.jpg

The map of the original hill-climb (starting at the bridge at the end of the valley):
RKyFUE0.jpg

And some photos of the hill-climb, taken back in the 1930s:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanmarjoram/sets/72157629488420492/detail/

Only now is it that I actually did a little googling and you won’t believe it - I have actually been around these parts many years ago!

Also I wasn’t aware that it is actually THE Hocksteinschänke you have modelled!

Here is their web-page with some historical info and a few pictures (including the naming and even the historical writing they used to have (changed now):
http://www.hocksteinschaenke.de/Geschichte

Now that I know that there is no fantasy about it, I’d be wanting a stop by for some good food and drink even more ;-)
I am stoked that you are making a track I have actually driven on (without knowing any of it’s significance back then) and I am sure to put some wheels on when i have a chance to head back to the place next time I visit the fatherland.

Btw - the entire area (Sächsische Schweiz - literally translated as Saxony Switzerland for it’s mountainous region, hiking, forrests and tourism) is quite a nice place to visit.

I'd be interested to see how much detail you're putting into the geometry of these buildings versus normal maps and texture.

The answer is 'as little as possible' :roflmao: At this point these buildings are mostly diffuse texture, with no normal maps and very little detail in the mesh. I might decide to add recessed windows further down the line, but for now the texture seems to do a good enough job of deceiving the eye. I find that UV mapping and AO baking these kind of objects well worth the time, as well as softening the lines where ever necessary (like the slight droop along the roof line). Anything to make it look a bit more natural and less clinical.

219 triangles:
vPBwlxq.jpg

nbD7N8k.jpg

The answer is 'as little as possible' :roflmao: At this point these buildings are mostly diffuse texture, with no normal maps and very little detail in the mesh. I might decide to add recessed windows further down the line, but for now the texture seems to do a good enough job of deceiving the eye. I find that UV mapping and AO baking these kind of objects well worth the time, as well as softening the lines where ever necessary (like the slight droop along the roof line). Anything to make it look a bit more natural and less clinical.

219 triangles:
vPBwlxq.jpg

nbD7N8k.jpg

I can confirm that your textures do a good enough job of fooling the eye. There's a lot less geometry than I thought there would be based on the pictures.

WW

Given how few triangles it is that looks pretty good, but for some of the slower cars (eyes) recessed windows might just add that tiny bit of additional depth to make it worth it. Just saying :whistling:

Thanks again for all your work, I love these vintage road courses very much and yours are top notch.

One of these days I surely will find the time to learn how to use Blender and do one myself. Like that's gonna happen...

Yes, I think you are probably right. It might be worth seeing how the 'night mod' thing works out, as I guess windows or other illuminating objects will need separate materials. It's easier to add the modelled windows than remove them, though :thumbsup:

You really should have a go at learning Blender :) The feeling you get driving around a track that you made is simply brilliant! :inlove: Start off small and learn the basics - you really won't regret it :)

Well, I decided to make my New Year's Resolution a few days early. I have promised myself to finish this track off and release it in the new year. It's been hanging around on my HD for far too long, 75% complete :redface: I realised I had three times as many WIP tracks as I have completed ones, and each new one that takes my interest pushes back the release of anything else. I lack so much discipline :(

hUE45jY.jpg

gYxCryJ.jpg

N8Q1NTD.jpg

tZIdfXJ.jpg

AHiLGRb.jpg

Zn0ciNq.jpg

All the houses are in place now, as are all the telegraph poles and wires. Next big job is the fencing around the 10km circuit, and then the foliage. The close-up trees need to be remodelled to improve the lighting but that's a pretty easy job to do, plus I need to add20-30,000 imposter trees to fill out the landscape. After that it will just be a case of adding the additional TSOs and then the ground AO for them all.

If I can focus [:rolleyes:] I think I can get this ready in the spring, hopefully :unsure:

Last edited:
Got about 10% of the fences done today, and using the techniques (and some of the textures) I used from Feldbergring means it's going quicker than I anticipated :)

z2e4BHs.jpg

mSWSNC9.jpg

f7sjc0F.jpg

HCimcxR.jpg

I had forgotten how much fun this track was - half really fast racing circuit / half technical hill climb.
Driving against the AI racing around Turn 3, the super-wide, 8° banked 130° curve doing 4 or 5 cars abreast as you all funnel down into an 8m wide tight bend... :inlove:

lteabFx.jpg

KEFECVM.jpg

Got about 10% of the fences done today, and using the techniques (and some of the textures) I used from Feldbergring means it's going quicker than I anticipated :)

z2e4BHs.jpg

mSWSNC9.jpg

f7sjc0F.jpg

HCimcxR.jpg

I had forgotten how much fun this track was - half really fast racing circuit / half technical hill climb.
Driving against the AI racing around Turn 3, the super-wide, 8° banked 130° curve doing 4 or 5 cars abreast as you all funnel down into an 8m wide tight bend... :inlove:

lteabFx.jpg

KEFECVM.jpg
Why do you think I've been nagging you to finish it?
:)

z2e4BHs.jpg

mSWSNC9.jpg

f7sjc0F.jpg

HCimcxR.jpg

lteabFx.jpg

KEFECVM.jpg
The master is back. You are right regarding the difference in track type. I love weaving up the hill through the forest section. The version I have is already quite good. I am sad that once this is released Thomson and Feldberg won’t see the light of day...... Keep up the great work mate.

Yes, you're correct, there is an area of water at the end of the valley, right before you start the climb back up the hairpins:

Screenshot_ks_porsche_718_spyder_rs_deutschlandring_20-3-117-5-2-20.jpg

Animated water would look great there, once I have added the small wooden landing stage, fishing boat, reeds, ducks... :)

It's a very different track to Feldbergring, which is no bad thing, I guess. What it does have in common, though, is that it is most definitely a track of several distinct sections (hill climb, flat out crazy-fast and medium speed technical), and that it is a track set in very natural surroundings - my favourite type of track :inlove:

Yep, I like it a similar amount to Feldberg in terms of layout enjoyment. I'm guessing other people like the track also as the WIP video I made of it last year has way more views than most of my replays :roflmao:

I'd better start relearning the layout in anticipation!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back