DAKAR 18 Update Coming Soon.jpg
A major new content update for DAKAR 18 is heading this way, with the DAKAR Series set to join the title on January 31st.

Having steadily improved the game across all platforms, Bigmoon Studios have today confirmed that in just seven days time the simulation will be in receipt of its first major content update - adding the DAKAR Series to the title and with it a wide selection of new terrain and cross country events in which to compete.

DAKAR isn't all about the yearly DAKAR Rally itself, think of that event as more like the off road version of the Le Mans 24 Hours or Daytona 500 - the teams and drivers / riders also have a selection of other, slightly smaller and less high profile, races in which to hone their skills throughout the racing season.

In a bid to ensure DAKAR 18 remains fresh and offers players the opportunity to continue exploring the admittedly graphically impressive landscapes within the game, Bigmoon Studios have long since confirmed that new stages and series will be added to the software, and now we know the release data - January 31st!

Stay tuned for more information as and when it becomes available!

DAKAR 18 is available now.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

They will both be released simultaneously for all owners of the game.

Even though Inca is a small race with 3 shorter stages. Ruta 40 is a longer race with more and longer stages that appear to be quite complex. We will have to wait a week to see just what is in store for us, but there have been direct and deliberate hints that further surprises will be released as a part of this addon.

Last edited:
Well surprisingly I’m moderately impressed with Dakar 18, picked it up super cheap with DLC, and I know I’m joining late to the party but in its latest state it’s playable and works pretty well from what I’ve seen so far.

I’m sure there are many issues but I’m impressed with the sheer scale of the task the devs have taken on. The stages are massive, not since the likes of the old RAC rally games have we had, to my knowledge, truly epic rally stages. Not many car games I can think of that allow driving and out of car driver movement, for example to rescue another competitor. Not that many games would need that but it’s that different approach that I like. The graphics and framerate are better than I expected from the reviews too.

It’s definitely not a game for everyone, its as much a thinking/navigation game as racing. I’m enjoying the challenge of the map book and compass headings on normal mode. Easy difficulty is a bit too easy imo but that next objective marker is something games have these days.

I’ve encountered some issues too. The co-driver/Nav sometimes stops talking at crucial points - reload the checkpoint and he (mostly) miraculously returns. Wheel FFB is basic - only 360 DOR is aligned and the feedback in the wheel is not quite as good as Forza Horizon 4 but it’s definitely useable.

Maybe I’m easily pleased but having played rallying games for many years I think this has potential. Sure it’s a rough diamond - only buy it knowing some patience is required to enjoy it - but at its core It’s different, in many ways a unique experience and the devs have taken some risks and I like that. Worth picking up in the £15-20 range if you are looking for something different imo.

It’s definitely not a game for everyone, its as much a thinking/navigation game as racing. I’m enjoying the challenge of the map book and compass headings on normal mode. Easy difficulty is a bit too easy imo but that next objective marker is something games have these days.

I’ve encountered some issues too. The co-driver/Nav sometimes stops talking at crucial points - reload the checkpoint and he (mostly) miraculously returns. Wheel FFB is basic - only 360 DOR is aligned and the feedback in the wheel is not quite as good as Forza Horizon 4 but it’s definitely useable.

Couple things, if he says, for example, "1K right to CAP 270." and you go 2K, odds are you missed it, do not wait till 10Ks out and he tells you.

If it is not a waypoint, make the turn where you believe it is and continue and almost always you will find the waypoint when you get there.

Also, there are now a few teams of human pilot and human navigator. To get in on this, download the Dakar 18 Roadbook App on phone or tablet, and find a partner. This is more fun than you can imagine. If you want you can see some videos on my channels, click my icon to find them.

If you need a hand, or want some MP or just want to talk to the real fans of this game, and /or the DEVs join Discord Dakar 18 channel and don't be shy.

Good luck out there in the Dunes.

If you want you can see some videos on my channels, click my icon to find them.

If you need a hand, or want some MP or just want to talk to the real fans of this game, and /or the DEVs join Discord Dakar 18 channel and don't be shy.

Good luck out there in the Dunes.

Thanks that’s a big help, I’ll check out your YouTube and join the Discord. I’m enjoying the learning process in the game, it’s a real challenge and 39 minute stages are good with me.

I'm having fun with Dakar 18 so I'll add this video here in case there are others like me who were dissuaded by the negative reviews. I didn't really know how the game played but after a few stages I'm getting the hang of the navigation system.

For me it's both a fun experience, different and a concentration challenge. There is plenty of value here once the initial navigation learning curve is understood.

Just wait till you see the real variety, the difference between Peru Bolivia and Argentina, I am very happy you are enjoying this... for me it was an amazing experience my first time through

Short video of just how wrong it can get in Dakar 18. Cheshie Cheshire is navigating for me in the Mitsubishi Montero, I go over a dune too fast and on the other side is a big surprise.

Stage 12, Argentina's most unforgiving Stage of the Dakar. Rock climbs and chasms await our intrepid heroes as they approach the end of the Community Championship. The Polaris is said to be all suspension, but the suspension may as well be toothpicks on these unrelenting surfaces.

We have sacrificed some latency for greatly enhanced video quality, and now can capture both our webcams from thousands of miles apart. Don't miss a single breathtaking moment as we stream live on https://www.twitch.tv/solynew at 2PM EST or 8PM CET.

Here is a 90 second highlight from yesterday's Legend Difficulty practice session on Stage 5.

The Desafío Ruta 40 Rally and Desafío Inca Rally of the DAKAR Series have been released as free DLC for DAKAR 18.

Bigmoon Studios have deployed a new and free content update to DAKAR 18 today, adding both the Desafio Inca and Desafio Ruta rally locations to the simulation. Available now across console and PC versions of the title, these new content additions bring to DAKAR 18 over 12,000 km² of additional stages within the Peru and Argentina regions.

Containing eight new stages across the two events (five for Desafio Ruta 40 and three for Desafio Inca Rally), the update has been released as free additional content, and should be available to download upon your next restart of the Steam client, or from the respective PlayStation and Xbox store.

Dakar Series - Desafío Ruta 40:
The “Desafío Ruta 40 Rally” is part of the world-famous “Dakar Series”, a number of cross-country rallies and is the first event of this series to be added to Dakar 18. The race took place between August 27 and 31 2018 in Argentina. As with the main game the team at Bigmoon Entertainment focused all their effort on simulating this challenge to make it as realistic as possible. It will enhance the already existing world of the main game by additional 12.000 km² including five new stages around the beautiful country side of Argentina. To make sure players do not get lost in the challenging world, the DLC includes brand new road books – again based on the original materials handed out to the drivers during the event.

Dakar Series - Desafío Inca Rally:
The “Desafío Inca” is part of the world-famous “Dakar Series”, a number of cross-country rallies and is the second event of this series to be added to Dakar 18. The race took place between September 13rd and 16th 2018 in Peru. As with the main game the team at Bigmoon Entertainment focused all their effort on simulating this challenge to make it as realistic as possible. This DLC will celebrate this year's Dakar Rally being 100% Peru and will bring 3 new stages around the magnificent Ica desert. As usual, this new challenge includes brand new road books – again based on the original materials handed out to the drivers during the event.

DAKAR 18 is available for £39.99 on Steam now.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

One of the new features not discussed at all, is the restriction on maximum speed for trucks. The ASO has a maximum speed limit for trucks of 140KPH and any violation is penalized as well as fined. The game did not reflect this in the past and truck races were notorious for pilots pulling away from the competition over the stages and finishing way ahead.

Reports of the violations being penalized as early as stage 1 are coming back to the surprise of pilots. Further it is reported that the AI is smarter and more effective on legend difficulty, and is much harder to beat.
Last year, Mathias Bellino was paralyzed while running the Desafio Ruta 40 as a work up to the Dakar. It was his life's dream to race in the Dakar, and his dream will remain unrealized.

Bigmoon, in a tribute to Mathias Bellino, included him in the content in the motorcycle category.

See you in the dunes. I will be there trying to dig my car out of the fesh fesh.

Great, I'm looking forward to trying these new events.

There is the core of something special with this game. Sure the Roadbook has a steep initial learning curve compared to other rally games. It is so easy to overshoot, miss a reference point or get slightly off CAP but that is part of the challenge. Legendary difficulty where one car wipe ends the rally will be a huge challenge - rocks can leap out from anywhere in this game!

What I absolutely applaud is the courage of the developers to make a game with epic stages that can take over an hour to drive on truly magnificent maps. Sure the car handling could be better - especially under braking - but it's more than playable. The change in vibration levels through the wheel on sand to broken bumpy tarmac is a real stand out effect. It looks like they are going to keep improving the game so it's all good.

As of right now, only the Desafío Ruta 40 DLC is on Steam. I saw it mentioned somewhere it'll only be free for a little while, then become paid, is that still the case? The Isle of Man TT game did that with their DLC. Just wondering if anything has changed?

As far as I know Ruta 40 and Inca were never meant to be paid DLC. I am not a member of Deep Silver or Bigmoon and may be wrong.

BTW there was a glitch with Steam that somehow goofed the release of Desfaio Inca, and I understand it is being worked on and corrected since late yesterday. So maybe we will see that race added today. For certain, I heard just moments ago that there will be a release of notes in the few hours.

You know when game studios are on the ropes and desperate they start giving away free DLC so more people buy the core game which is what 30-40 euros ?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.