really want this game, just don't think i can look past the lack of phisics...gutted:( please bigmoon can't you do something with the physics to give the cars more weight and bounce

Last edited:
Thanks for all the videos you posted, it convinced me enough to buy it (and saved 5 bucks with this Steam Lunar new year sale thingy). It's definitely a lot more challenging (in a good way) than a lot of those rookie videos let on...The FFB is better than I thought it would be...It's not the best but it's good enough. Gotta work on understanding the road book because I definitely got lost a few times, but yea it seems like lots of fun so far :thumbsup:

Get on over to Discord, we have a lot of good folk over there who can help you through the learning curve. Please do not discouraged if Stage 2 defeats you on Competitor a few times. In the real dakar 2018 something half the competitors failed to complete stage 2, in the game it is about the same. We will be there for you.

really want this game, just don't think i can look past the lack of phisics...gutted:( please bigmoon can't you do something with the physics to give the cars more weight and bounce

They are working on it and have promised a completely new physics package for 19. I heard rumors that they had a strong physics package and then they tried to add it to the massive world something like 6 months before release, and the two were totally incompatible. I honestly do not know if this is true, but it kinda makes sense, physics for a narrow track as opposed to physics for the whole wide world... just seems to make sense to me. Hope to see you in the dunes... maybe not stuck in the sand.

Thanks, RD: Finally picked up the game after reading about the many updates, and new DLC. Steam also gave me an unexpected $5.00 off as part of their updated achievement system. Say whatever you like about the title, but the open world of Dakar 18 certainly makes for a refreshingly different--and fun--driving challenge. Soaring over sand dunes, waiting for the impact before mashing the accelerator, all while keeping a steady bearing, is simply wonderful. And hurtling 11/10ths through a dry riverbed, slewing past rocks, will put a smile on your face.

Get on over to Discord, we have a lot of good folk over there who can help you through the learning curve. Please do not discouraged if Stage 2 defeats you on Competitor a few times. In the real dakar 2018 something half the competitors failed to complete stage 2, in the game it is about the same. We will be there for you.

I actually spent some time last night running stage 1 several times so I could get a handle on the roadbook and eventually got 1st place...then came on today and ran stage 2, restarted twice after the first 3 minutes, but after that I made it through the entire stage in one go in about 45 mins (competitor difficulty, I'd do Legend if it was available from the start)...that was really exciting...my poor Montero got quite a beating! When you're nearly 30 minutes into a stage and you think you missed a waypoint, you're worried about getting lost and nothing but towering sand dunes around you, it's quite nerve-racking trying to get your bearings...not to mention retracing your steps over a blind hill, hoping someone else doesn't plow right into you! Been using H-Pattern + Clutch and it works fairly well; had many mis-shifts from shifting too fast, forgetting this is a jeep, not a F1 car!

The physics isn't at the top of the class, but it still feels pretty good and I'm hoping improvements will follow in Dakar 19; it's not as arcade as people assume from just watching a video (I was in the same camp before yesterday)...still on sale for 16 more hours on Steam at 40% off (30% + 10% Lunar sale if you have tokens), grab it for less while you can. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I actually spent some time last night running stage 1 several times so I could get a handle on the roadbook and eventually got 1st place...

Don't worry about position too much on your first run there somewhere around 10-14 hours of intense driving to the finish line. The Dakar Pilots IRL say, "Everyone will get lost, everyone will break down, and everyone will crash. The victor repairs the car, survives the crash, and gets lost less than everybody else."

Listen when you hear the co-pilot say, for example, "500 left to (anything)" When you got 1k and it isn't there you need to start finding your problem. Do not wait for the AI to say we're going the wrong way because he won't notice for 2 or three minutes and then it will be helpless. This is key, if it is not a waypoint, make the turn as if he said no and it is very likely you will catch the next waypoint, (not always).

Good luck in the Dunes, I drove the Mitsi my first time through as well. Say hello to Stage 4 for me, everyone calls it the Meatgrinder. For good reason.

Oh. I started out set with clutch and H-shift. I think maybe you can play with dead zone on clutch so it will not miss so much. You know we never drive it to max in a car...

Reactions: BP
[ReShade] B1 Technicolor
This MOD uses the "B1 Technicolor.ini" from Martin Fiala presented in this thread: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...technicolor-colors.163882/page-2#post-2903467

This "B1 Technicolor MOD" brings the ORIGINAL Colors of the "B1 Technicolor Shaders" from Automobilista to this Game.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/reshade-b1-technicolor-for-dakar-18.25249/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation:
Decompress ZIP-File to "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Dakar 18\Dakar18Game\Binaries\Win64" and you are ready to rock!
Uninstallation:
Delete this in the folder "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Dakar 18\Dakar18Game\Binaries\Win64":
Deinstallation.jpg

If you want to open the Ingame Reshade-Menu press "Home/Pos1".

Updating Reshade
From time to time you will get a message that there
is a new reshade version. If you want the latest update
of Reshade, just:

1. Download Reshade installer at https://reshade.me/
2. Run ReShade_Setup_x.x.x.exe
3. Hold CTRL Key and press “Select game”
The installer will just unpack all the Reshade files in the same folder as
ReShade_Setup_x.x.x.exe is located.
4. Copy the ReShade64.dll
5. Goto folder "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Dakar 18\Dakar18Game\Binaries\Win64"
6. Delete dxgi.dll
7. Paste in the copied ReShade64.dll
8. Rename Reshade64.dll into dxgi.dll

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at bits of the twitch stream it didn't get me interested as it for sure looked very simplified. But after looking at the two videos linked by @Solyne it got me interested (who is not in dakar) so I went for it on the sale. For less than 30 euro and I can refund it within 2h if I get very disappointed.

Of course I expect the physics to be on an ok-ish level, believable so to say, but it will not need to be on "put your favorite sim here"-level as I'm not looking for another race simulator to drive "put you favorite race car here" as I already have a few options of doing that.

So, now I have 2h to get my DD wheel, buttons and pedals to work and try this out :)

Last edited:
Looking at bits of the twitch stream it didn't get me interested as it for sure looked very simplified. But after looking at the two videos linked by @Solyne it got me interested (who is not in dakar) so I went for it on the sale. For less than 30 euro and I can refund it within 2h if I get very disappointed.

Of course I expect the physics to be on an ok-ish level, believable so to say, but it will not need to be on "put your favorite sim here"-level as I'm not looking for another race simulator to drive "put you favorite race car here" as I already have a few options of doing that.

So, now I have 2h to get my DD wheel, buttons and pedals to work and try this out :)

I hope you have a good experience with it.

We are doing a short 5 week beta test of the software for running Dakar 18 championships. Register now, for 5 weeks of Ruta 50. Registration for the Beta closes in 2 days. You may drive as many classes as you wish, so if you want to do truck car and bike, go ahead and sign up for it. We will run this on competitor difficulty as a warm up and easy championship. There are two sets of rules as you will note, and when you sign up you choose which set you will be regulated under. Here is the address for the beta. http://beta.rallyraideleague.com/

I have been part of an open beta for PC users on the new Online Rankings System. It is pretty well done. The rankings are sorted by stage, vehicle class, level of difficulty, and general final times for the Dakar, Ruta 40, and Inca. For those aware of the Rally Raid e-League it may be that the our Challenger rules system will also be incorporated as well.

There was a major addition to the controller matrix included at first to add a few of the rare control systems. I do not know if this will make the cut.

We are also beta testing a version of this that works with your Roadbook App on your phone or tablet, and it looks very good and is expected to be released simultaneously.

In order to use the ranking system in game, you have to scroll down in game menu find the rankings thingie and say yes, make sure your nationality is selected and that's all there is to it. The ranking system will work for New Profiles only from that time on.

While no official announcement has yet been made, I was personally asked to spread the word that this is coming and will be ready on 19 March.

The release will be made across all platforms simultaneously.

Hope to see you in dunes... not while I am digging my car out though

Played this when it first came out but never wanted to stump up the money so have held off buying it due to how bad initial release was, bought it for £12 off of CD keys yesterday and it's actually quite enjoyable now

The Beta was run by the developers on Discords and was open to all steam users and the PC platform only as a test prior to release. As for treasure hunt, I must apologize I know very little about this part of the game.

There is a physics tweak in this version, it seems to require more finesse to keep from destroying your suspension and transmission on jumping.

There was a major fix on quads in the last update that seems to have greatly pleased many riders, there may actually be some tweak to that update in this version but it is just a tweak.

If you have steam and are on the PC platform you can try the Beta now if you wish, by opening the properties tab of the game and selecting the Beta Development. There is no password or anything required. There will be an update after you select this.

Hi,

The quads were improved in last official patch. But in the beta branch the quads and bikes seem to feel heavier. Thanks to it quads feel more stable and dont fly that high. Anyway people playing quads with wheels complain about their instability. I think the reason for it is that quads are very unstable at high speeds in real life and they require fast countersteering in case of a instability. I play with XB1 gamepad and I find new quads physics very enjoyable and very demanding.

Thanks for the hint, will try the update next weekend if it is not yet officially out until then.

Update 12 made the quads unplayable for me. You don't fall of a quad when you touch the accelerator slightly when you are going 5 degrees uphill. My issues are not during cornering. Before update 12, they were much better. Try stage 1 of the Inca Route DLC in order to see what I mean with "unplayable". I play with a T 300 RS wheel with T3PA pedals.

UPDATE: patch # 13 was released today. Unfortunately, no changes with regards of quads or treasure hunt.

Last edited:
Oh yeah Trebor, it is much different. You will find a large group of folks that play this regular on Discord, so if you need anything jump over there and say hi, and just ask.

Welcome to Dakar 18...

Wow, I do not fall off nearly as much as I used to, but I never drive the quad with wheel and pedals, I use my xbox controller for them. With the xbox controller you can lean forward and back in your jumps and add that weight distribution you cannot do with wheel. I seriously think this might be why you fall when accelerating. We use 50% steering sensitivity or less and linearity -1 and acceleration sensitivity around 60% when driving quads with xbox controller

Thanks, I didn't knew that you can lean for- and backwards in this game. The rider should lean forward when you accelerate uphill. My wheel has enough unused buttons, maybe I can remap it. Will check it out this weekend and report back.

Oh yeah Trebor, it is much different. You will find a large group of folks that play this regular on Discord, so if you need anything jump over there and say hi, and just ask.

Welcome to Dakar 18...

I actually quite like it just need to learn how to read the navigation properly and stop getting lost :roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back