I checked the options menu twice and I didn't see anything about buttons or an axis for leaning for- and backwards.
Can you make a screenshot please whichs shows the mapping for this?
Btw: riding a bike in the game works fine with a wheel.

Sadly they never created a "mapped" button for this. It is the left stick on the xbox controller, you steer left and right with it and pull back to or push forward. if you do this in third person you cn see it happen plainly., whern in first person you can feel the difference.

Okay well here's how to do it. Download the Dakar 18 roadbook app on your phone or tablet, and open it up. choose a stage, and a note and press and hold that note a second and it will open text that reads the note to you. Also if you select the Y I think it is at the top left of the app it will open an index of all the symbols and abbreviations.

Next, never drive in rookie, looking at the little ball on the top does not let you learn to read or drive.

Then shut off the HUD altogether in competitor difficulty and drive that way, in no time at all you will begin to understand how to listen to the co-driver, or how to read the notes.

Do not despair... the RL drivers say, everyone will get lost, everyone will crash and everyone will break down. Just learn to do it less than everybody else.

Good to know. On the wheel, you just have a button that equals "clicking" the stick.
The rider should automatically do the leaning when the game detects a wheel or keyboard instead of gamepad with sticks.

I tried driving bikes with wheel and it never worked out., Quad is very hard even with xbox controller. you really need to drive like your life depends on it. Bike with the xbox controller is great fun Very fast... in both cases just trying to read the roadbook with all the shaking is quite challenging on some stages.

DAKAR 18 Updated.jpg

Bigmoon Studios have updated DAKAR 18 to now include world player rankings within the title.

Having started off life in rather difficult circumstances, Bigmoon Studios have remained hard at work on DAKAR 18 as they look to bring the simulation up to a level that the no doubt loyal fanbase believes an event such as the DAKAR Rally deserves.

Although certainly improved over the launch product, work does still remain for the young Portuguese studio to fully maximise the potential of DAKAR 18, and it appears that the studio are still hard at work on the project some months after the game first hit the paying public back on September 25th last year.

Continuing the updates that have admittedly slowed down recently, Bigmoon have now added the ability for players to share their times with all the other competitors to compete worldwide for the best position in each class category: Cars, Bikes, Quads, Trucks and SxS.

Alongside the inclusion of world rankings, other features of the new update include:

New Features:
  • NEW: Added Online Rankings features in the game. When the player completes each stage, and has the online ranking registry active in the game Options, stage times will be registered and displayed to other players.
  • NEW: Added “ONLINE RANKING” to the Explore Menu. Player will be able to list a global ranking comparing the best time, per category and difficulty level.
  • NEW: Added the option “USE ONLINE RANKING” to participate in the online ranking chart.

General Bugs fixed:
  • FIXED: Game now saves the progress after a Neutralization.
  • FIXED: Achievements with progressions are now saved to allow a progression after an interruption.
  • FIXED: Option to return to Menu when in Bivouac.
  • FIXED: Bike Roadbook is now working even if the player turns off the HUD in the options.
  • FIXED: Roadbook notes correctly updated even if RoadBook On/Off option is activated during a stage.
  • FIXED: AI penalties are now correctly calculated when player arrives last in a Stage.

DAKAR 18 is available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 now.

Check out the DAKAR 18 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this massive off road racing title with your fellow sim racing fans.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Well, despite the flaws the game had, and that no one wants to buy an unfinished game (bought this Day One, because Dakar), the devs have been constantly updating and supporting the game. I hope that for a 2019 edition they will keep all the improvements they already have, plus new features (also, more classic content would be welcome).
Let's see what the future have for this game.

P.S.: Sorry if I messed some words guys, English isn't my mother language :unsure:

Well, everyone knows my opinion about Dakar 18, but here are a few things to consider.

This is the only officially licensed Rally Raid Game in existence, licensed by the ASO.

It is not fast food, you cannot go out there and run a few laps and learn the track, there is no such thing here. No matter who you are, you will need to take the time to learn the navigation, and time to learn to keep your vehicle in one piece.

This is perhaps the largest off road open world environment every created for a racing game. It is entirely possible to get so lost you wind up watching the sunset a hundred miles from your destination... I know, it has happened to me.

The Producers of this game take great pride in their work, and perhaps everyone knows the troubles they had at the start. But by now everyone knows how diligently the Developers have worked to make improvements and bring it along.

I have completed this title on Legend Difficulty. It is brutal beyond compare, the vehicles are clearly good, and the FFB is very good as well.

The world of Dakar 18 is enormous, and the average stage takes an hour to run, approximately 1/6 as long as real life Dakar. The weather is magnificent, from the blowing sands over the dunes in Peru to powerful storms of Bolivia and the mists of Argentina, you can almost taste it. You can preset your weather for single stages, and the effects are to die for. Driving the dunes in pouring rain, watching the sunrise in Bolivia, and driving through the changing weather that you created is remarkable.

The varying texture of the sand, and each of the hundreds of types can be felt through the wheel, and heard through your speakers, some so slick and soft you slide down off the hill you are trying to climb sideways, some like marbles outside the racing lane, and many in between. The varying road surfaces are a beauty to behold, some so rough but straight and generally flat, so there you are white knuckles trying to hold the car on line at top speed when your keyboard bounces off the desk and your medicine is falling off the shelf. When you hit the water you feel the resistance, every bump rips the wheel against you hands.

The terrain is staggering, the artwork immaculate. I have never seen the ocean lapping at the shores so realistically in any MMO RPG or even fishing game. The trees and shrubs are lifelike, the rock formations so realistic and the landscape majestic. If forced to stop to dig out you can hear the birds calling, the wind blowing, and your co-driver snapping at you to be on your way.

As for the race, the Dakar 18 rally takes between 10-14 hours. All of it off road in varying terrain, varying danger, every waypoint is another trap. There are rock climbs, mud holes, silt, fesh fesh, mud, water that can drown your car, and jumps so severe they destroy your suspension.

Dakar 18 is not what many call a racing sim, but that is because they have not driven it. I have driven everything since World Circuit on my first PC back in the early 90's, and every simulator I could find of every type from 1965 until World Circuit. Dakar 18 is young, new, and entirely different from anything you have every driven before. The learning curve for navigation is difficult, the learning curve for surviving the race is brutal, and the physical work of driving it is punishing.

The Dakar Rally is far different from anything you have ever driven in a computer sim. You must find your way where there is no track. The game is has very good replay ability, with 5 categories of vehicles, and three difficulty levels and 14 gorgeous stages one never tires of the same old thing. The addition of Ruta 40 and Desafio Inca brings the total number up to 22 stages.

Dakar 18 is well worth the effort to drive, and is well worth the money.

I agree on the most part. This is my GOTY 2018, as it is something I have devoted so much time to.
I think acknowledging the shortcomings too would be a good idea - lack of competitors in the game (more teams/vehicles), having all classes racing on the same course in game like in RL Dakar, Average car physics and atrocious motorcycle physics.

However like I said, I played Dirt 2.0 for about 4 days before I gravitated straight back to Dakar as it interests & engages me far more.

Members of the development team have posted on Discord and Facebook about the Dakar Saudi Arabia launch press conference. Looks like some of them went. So it looks like development is going ahead on 20 as well as 19.

I have no idea how this is happening given what must be tiny sales figures judging by Steam users and how easy it is to place in the Leader boards. Just finishing is enough to be in the top ten in many cases.

I got to say I am happy that they appear to be sticking with it. I tried it out for a few hours over the free Steam weekend, but $27.50 still seemed a bit of a gamble, despite me enjoying the time I gave it. But when I saw it on CDkeys for $13 and change, I thought it worth the punt.

I have to say, the more I play it, the more I like and appreciate it. A steal at that price. The more I play the more I see the positives, and the more the negatives are forgotten, ignored, or just over shadowed. Its quite the sense of achievement when you start to figure out the navigation, and are ten or so hours in to a single race. I hope they stick with the current inability to reduce time right down, I like being forced in to these epic length stages. Yes the graphics for a Unreal game are not that great, the physics are dodgy, but I felt so immersed in a stage with rain, thunder and lightning. It created a great sense of claustrophobia.

All in all, a little gem, looking forward to what they do with the next iterations.

https://www.facebook.com/dakarthegame/photos/a.1509922995757801/2173768999373194/?type=3&theater

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.