YES, there is for sure. Check out this video at 2:40, the Kamaz struggling in the mud
this is no sand dunes, real car buried in the sand
gaming video shows that the sand dunes is hard coating as it was in the old game
-Камаза-на-Дакаре-2014-524x350.jpg

Last edited:
Much of the challenge of a successful DAKAR Rally is navigating the harsh terrain, something Bigmoon Studios have worked hard to recreate.

DAKAR 18 will be the first official representation of the legendary DAKAR Rally in a very long time, certainly the first attempt at producing a realistic attempt at recreating the event, and the very first full game from young development team Bigmoon Studios.

We've had plenty of preview images from the impressive scenery in the game already, and we've had quite a bit of information about the sheer scale of the title, Bigmoon promising players an epic 15,000 km² of playable terrain once DAKAR 18 launches on console and PC later this year, but what we've heard little about so far is the navigation system set to play such an important role in the gameplay mechanics - one of the most critical elements of the event for crews to get right should they wish to continue - until now!

DAKAR 18 Roadmap 1.jpg

Bigmoon have confirmed that DAKAR 18 will feature roadbook maps as per the real rally, with players expected to learn and understand the various routes prior to setting of into the massive stages as they race more against the clock and terrain than against fellow competitors. Of course this will be very much a new experience for many players, and should be quite the challenge to master, hence the reason Bigmoon have released arguably one of the least entertaining sim racing videos I've ever seen, in an effort to guide players through the basics of navigation in DAKAR 18.

As I say, it's pretty dull, but useful, so that's ok...

DAKAR 18 Roadmap 2.jpg

DAKAR 18 is scheduled to release September 11th 2018 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the brand new Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to mastering the art of navigation in DAKAR 18? What do you think of the game previews and footage / information revealed so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
They must change the attitude of the navigator, as having an aggressive voice will become very annoying very quickly and most people including myself will turn it off. If I had a navigator that sounded that way(I wouldn’t) I would very quickly pull over, ask him to check the tyres and once he’s outside, drive off without him!

That's such a weird video to choose as a following to all the previous action-packed, almost arcadish footage we have seen previously. I thought the remark about the most boring simracing video ever was a bit of a joke, but nope, not really.

I honestly still don't understand who this game is supposed to be for. From what we've seen of the driving part, it really looked very simplistic. But then again it also seems packed with various features you'd likely not expect in a simplistic fun racing game... So yeah, I'm just puzzled.

Then again, weird presentation choices seem to be in style currently. Do they post their development announcements on Linkedin by any chance? :p

I don't understand the negativity and snarky attitude towards this game. I didn't find the video boring at all - quite the opposite, it made me excited to start exploring the roads after building them up so much. I would even say that the majority of trailers for racing games are much more boring, since they are nothing but the same familiar cars and circuits everyone's seen a million times with some "epic" music on top.

@rbt52 I might be snarky, because I honestly am puzzled (and not exactly thrilled) by how the game is presented (I mean honestly, releasing a four minute tutorial video cut straight out of the game that's nothing but text and talking as part of your pre-release campaign is pretty weird, and I'm saying that as someone that actually likes the prospect of the navigation part of the game as well, provided the game has more substance than *just* that) and by what we're seeing, but I'll still give it a fair chance when it's released (or as soon as I can afford it). Which, I'd say, is still more than many people commenting on the game are actually willing to do. Let me be a bit snarky until then.

I think this game has a lot of potential...even if it doesn't have an "rF2 level" physics engine, if the developers can get it to feel right, then it's fine...plus the nagivational aspects of it certainly look fascinating, which I think should add a bit of "sim" aspect to the game, albeit not what most people here on (sim)RaceDepartment have in mind when they hear that 3-letter word. :p

I was on the fence before, but this video pushed me into the "buy if first wave of reviews seem optimistic" category (too bad that's around the time my vacation ends). The only thing that gives me pause is if there will be proper wheel implementation (I see PS4/Xbox controllers featured in the pic) and triple screen support.

Does anyone know if there will be an in car or whatever view? Not a total killer but it certainly would be nice. Thanks and looks different.

Behold (and this was WIP footage from May 2018):

Last edited:
They must change the attitude of the navigator, as having an aggressive voice will become very annoying very quickly and most people including myself will turn it off. If I had a navigator that sounded that way(I wouldn’t) I would very quickly pull over, ask him to check the tyres and once he’s outside, drive off without him!
oh boy , so true!

this will make me want to turn him off :(
hmmm

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Standard game content