The physics and even character animation look terrible, they can't even release a clip longer than 12 seconds it seems.
They don't look like humans but more like some kind of robots when climbing into the cockpit, same as walking man those dudes must be tight after being glued to their seats for so long :roflmao:
What's with the stiff physics, vehicles also look like they're glued to the ground, or gravity settings could be off :roflmao::roflmao:

Looks good but at the same time look's like... One of the dullest game's what i have ever seen. But still potential for MadMax2, just put the leather clothe's, Interseptor and a lot of scrap all over the landscape.

• Deleted member 197115

Judging by videos alone Gravel looks and drives better.

Still no moving/shaking steering wheel while going over massive bumps and uneven terrain.

I agree to an extent...there should be a little more movement in the wheel but not as much as some people think there should be.

Alot of the movement in the wheel is not due to the suspensions reacting to the terrain....its the driver reacting to sense of grip and keeping the vehicle balanced. When you see an offroad cockpit view of a driver in straight line sawing at the wheel between 9 & 3 its usually due to loose surface conditions and the front tires being slightly submerged in sand/mud/snow.

Offroad suspensions are much different than your typical track suspensions and if setup properly are soft, fairly smooth and suck up alot of the bumps at high speeds.

Typical offroad suspension will run coil over suspension with reservoir shocks some times x2, hydrolic speedbumps which works as a 2nd or 3rd shock and heavy duty steering stabilizers up to x2, much longer suspension travel and aired down tires really soaks up the terrain.

From my experience, asides from fighting for grip the only time the wheel on my jeep (profile pic) moves dramatically when reacting to terrain is during rock crawling at slow speeds or extremely rocky terrain which you couldn't carry any speed over without damaging the vehicle.

But I agree watching the videos the lack of animation movement puts question to the games physics.

Instead of pretty pics id be really interested in some info on the tech there using in regards to the brakes, transmission, tire and damage model as they really take a beating in rally.

Edit: Really curious if they will have wind physics? One of the hardest things to do when driving a heavy lifted vehicle is managing the crosswinds....or maybe that's just a Jeep thing ? Lol

Last edited:
Dakar 18 latest preview summary? Why, that's easy: yet more useless, low quality, 5 second long square aspect ratio clips of nothing in particular.

Sorry for my direct words but this looks like crap.
Wreckfest has 100% more accurate offroad physics like this useless game.
Or even the old Off-Road Drive has more realistic physics.
Just to judge due to shown videos....

Btw. This must be ultra boring just to hopping around in this never ending sandy maps....

at this early stage - pre-alpha - you cannot say much, certianly not judged by these short demos and a little character animation. However you can see that the devs are working on an game that is less arcade and more simcade. To what level, sure hard to tell.

Lets wait and see what they come up with next, but any strong feelings either way are far too premature.

at this early stage - pre-alpha - you cannot say much, certianly not judged by these short demos and a little character animation. However you can see that the devs are working on an game that is less arcade and more simcade. To what level, sure hard to tell.

Lets wait and see what they come up with next, but any strong feelings either way are far too premature.
Pre alpha? The game is scheduled to release in q3 2018, not 2030.

Hopefully it will have VR for a truly immersive experience.

I will be shocked if it does have VR.

According to the Website , it will be out in 2019 !!! Screenshot below..
dakar18.jpg

I cant see anywhere in the screen shot it says 2019. But even so i'd rather wait for the game to come out polished as much as it can be than rushed and half baked where it might not sell well and never have a sequel. Some people seem to be overly negative about about how boring it will be seemly just driving around sandy maps, that might be true if there isn't much physics or doesn't have a slew of components that can get damaged on a vehicle. Take the game 'Fuel' that came out a few years ago, huge off-road open world and that did get a bit boring after awhile because there was no real challenge apart from races.
But Dakar 18 isn't rally driving where a course is layout out with slow and fast corners (go play Dirt Rally for that) this game is about endurance racing on an open world map, looking after your vehicle so it can finish, as well as navigating and that would be a lot of fun. So the more realism with the physics and thus cause and effect with things that can break or weaken or overheat or whatnot from your driving will make this game fun, trying to find balance of speed vs keeping the car in one piece. And throw in some randomness like chances of blowing a tire, wiring shorts and you lose battery power (no digital display info or gps until fixed) etc and all the while avoiding potholes and rocks and trying to driving over the smoother terrain or least worst terrain (i hope the terrain surface will be varied enough) would take lots of concentration in some places and others maybe less so but a break for the driver not to concentrate as hard. And i do hope the driver avatar needs some care too- which could affect driving ability if you don't. So no i don't think this will be a boring game if "done right". Imagine doing a 4 hour race online and even coming in 5th place would feel like a win if its hard to finish a race.

Info from the facebook page:
* Unfortunately we did not received the confirmation/authorization from IVECO in time for the development. So IVECO is not included on DAKAR18, hopefully that will be included later on Dakar 19.
* The co-pilot will tell us what we should do.
* After we release Dakar 18 and despite we will move then our focus to Dakar 19, we will keep updating Dakar 18.
* We want to confirm that we are developing our own sand and mud simulation.
* You'll be able to get stuck. And you'll be able to repair certain components.
* VR is on our plans. We still don't know when the vr will be available though.
* All vehicles consume fuel. This might limit your ability to get lost, particularly with the bikes, as happens in real life.

Also, physics and handling in these short we have been seeing clips are said to be alpha stage.

* After we release Dakar 18 and despite we will move then our focus to Dakar 19, we will keep updating Dakar 18.
Also, physics and handling in these short we have been seeing clips are said to be alpha stage.

So, in other words, Dakar 19 is likely the game we should be interested in.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back