I hope it will have wheel support straight out of the box. We could switch between using a controller when we get out of the vehicle (was glad to see you can do that) or if you don't have a controller then perhaps map the walk to the dpad on controller and use wheel to turn the character around idk doesn't have to be default that way, but to make it possible to remap keys to your desired setup.

I'm ok with average graphics, the fun is in physics and gameplay if done right. Graphics can get updated down the road (excuse the pun). Speaking of flat terrain, I don't mind if we get some stretches where we drive in a straight line, but expect to have other varied terrain. In real life if you have a lot of windy roads for two hours non stop, im sure you would be glad to have flat open terrain for an hour or so after that. I think variety is the key, not just in visuals but challenge also. I want to see many obstacles that could do damage so even if its flat, there could be a dip that's almost hidden until you approach it, rocks and whatnot that could give you a flat if you aren't careful. I hope also the view distance will be good, or at least having a slider so we can adjust to what our PC can handle. Night and Day cycle will be immersive too, hopefully we can adjust the speed of this as well.

Often i hear rally players count Richard Burns Rally (although ive never played it) as the best rally game even though it came out in 2004. And i guess the main reason would be the physics and handling, the graphics would look very dated now. But i'm sure some hardcore rally sim racers still play it. But it just goes to show how getting physics right, can be very immersive and a game people keep playing.

So i really hope Dakar 18 gets really close to having great physics and some realism in the little details as well, this will be what i think will give this title and its sequels a long life. However if this gets watered down because publishers want their profits early or to try and appeal to the mass market then this game might not make it to the finish line in terms of sticking around in years to come like the Dirt Rally series has done. And I don't mind if some features get delayed and will get added later, id rather that then those features getting cut completely.

Anyway enough of my rambling.

I hope there will be early enough when the game is in a decent playable state to give feedback and suggestions and perhaps help shape the game of course find bugs.

Good wheel support. I know handling and physics is probably the top of the list for most and for me too, but also small details can be immersive, such as build up of mud and dust on the car could be done in a semi-random pattern as well as cosmetic damage stone chips being random etc. Heat mirages, specks on the windscreen eg. random placed insect splatters and dirt, vapors from heat from car and ambient sounds of the interior of the car, eg. there might be more vibrating noises in various parts of the vehicle over time when wear and tear kick in. Winding down window to have the sound of air passing in and by verses when its closed etc. Chance of wipers not working, headlight bulb goes etc.

Im glad we can walk around outside, that is a big immersive factor right there! wind speed/direction and sound of wind when outside would be immersive too. Perhaps the wind could be random and at times can affect fuel consumption if you are driving head on into the wind.

I know some of these aren't important things to have, but little details can stand out and be immersive, sometimes we remember games from the past that had little immersive details and that's what we remember. But in saying that i would be happy with none of those things if adding those kind of things would affect physics and handling in terms of time and development in this game. I guess little touches like that could come in a sequel where the handling and the physics is already good.

AI that gets lost / runs different lines. I know it's probably hard to implement but I think this is a must-have for a Dakar game. Otherwise we'll just be able to tailgate an AI to all the checkpoints and / or get the fastest route.

AI that gets lost / runs different lines. I know it's probably hard to implement but I think this is a must-have for a Dakar game. Otherwise we'll just be able to tailgate an AI to all the checkpoints and / or get the fastest route.

Ok, from the Dakar 18 Reddit page they've kinda confirmed this, they say the AI will make more or less mistakes depending on the difficulty level you choose, nothing about different lines or anything but I guess that falls under difficulty too. Also devs have confirmed you can request help from passing AI if you get stuck.

A Stage02_Pisco_Peru.jpg B Stage05_Marcona_Arequipa.jpg C Stage01_Lima_Pisco_2.jpg D Stage11.jpg E Stage04_Marcona.jpg F Stage13.jpg
We have a quick catch up over the latest image and video preview reveals from the upcoming official DAKAR Rally video game - DAKAR 18.

Pretty exciting in real life but never seriously attempted to be recreated in the sim world, Big Moon Studios have surely taken on a sizeable challenge with the upcoming DAKAR 18 racing simulation, securing the official licence to recreate one of the toughest off road racing events in the world, and all whilst developing a video game from start to finish for the very first time..!

So with a release still on course for later this year, let's take a look at the preview footage released these past few days...

Further video previews can be seen below:

Quad Bike Onboard
Out of Car and Walking Around

Keep an eye out on the RaceDepartment YouTube channel for more preview images when they become available HERE.

DAKAR 18 is scheduled to release 2018 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the brand new Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to DAKAR 18? What do you think of the images / footage revealed so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Still no moving/shaking steering wheel while going over massive bumps and uneven terrain. Seeing characters stepping into a car in a robotic way is not persuading anyone around here, lol. Give us some physics/FFB vids that look natural. They said its a "sim" after all.

WAIT A MINUTE! I thought the last video WAS from GTA5 because someone said so, LOL! :D

BTW @Paul Jeffrey why are we asked if we like what we see with MotoGP 18, but we arent allowed to post anything on that news? :)

BTW @Paul Jeffrey why are we asked if we like what we see with MotoGP 18, but we arent allowed to post anything on that news? :)

Hey Alex,

Sorry looks like the MotoGP 18 sub forum isn't open to replies at present, so I've moved the article to MotoGP 17 and now replies are open again! Sorry about that, and thanks for the head up :)

@Bram Hengeveld - Can you have a look at the MotoGP18 sub forum privileges please buddy? Ta

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.