porsche-919-evo-1-jpg.245915

After hearing about the blistering lap from a little 4 cylinder made by Porsche at the famous Spa circuit in Belgium, I think we might see a trend with setting the fastest lap times.

This car was made as a tribute to the withdrawal from the World Endurance Championship (WEC) by making a turbocharged 4 cylinder electric hybrid. Now with no rules to follow, as they are not part of a governing body to tell them what they can and cannot do, they built a car that I would classify as an "unlimited class" car. The car they made was an evolution of their LMP1 919 competition car, with parts and technology they weren't allowed to use when driving in the WEC series. With all of this, they went out and set a faster lap time than a 2017 Formula One car, that was set by Lewis Hamilton.

Now, this got me thinking, could it be possible to run an unlimited class run by the FIA to see which manufacturer could be the fastest around certain tracks around the world. There is something similar to what I am thinking of, the land speed records. The land speed records are operated by the FIA to make sure that all speed records are done the same way so that there is fairness in setting one. The rules for this are (but not limited to): The car must have 4 wheels, the car must travel to one point and turn around and come back, the average time will be the record. The car must turn around in less than 1 hour, and the car must be piloted by a human being. Other than those rules, you can do whatever you what to make that car go as fast as possible. With these rules, the car can be powered by whatever they want and be shaped in the most unimaginable way. This is the type of unlimited class I would like to see.

Now, if we run an unlimited class for race tracks there would be more rules that the manufactures would have to follow. I think some of the rules should be similar to hill climb rules. For example, the car has to have power go to the wheels, the car can’t exceed a certain width or length. There are a lot more rules to hill climbing but I don’t want to bore you.

In conclusion, have a class that is “bring what you can” and see how fast you can go around a series of race tracks across the world. That would be something. This would promote making development in electric cars quicker, or make a gasoline engine even more efficient.

One more thing to add, who doesn’t like to see really fast cars?

Bram

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
In conclusion, have a class that is “bring what you can” and see how fast you can go around a series of race tracks across the world. That would be something.
You are perfectly describing my view on motorsports. No more silly regulations (with exception of safety rules of course) dumbing everything down. Instead use the full resources of R&D to achieve the fastest driving cars on track. Love this idea!

The first problem is that car speeds would rise so much that only practical places for races in safety point of view would be airfields. Also spectators would need to be moved farther at least in sections where there are turns.

Second problem is that unlimited series would attract very few manufacturers in the first place and as the costs would be astronomical, they most likely would also leave the series easily. We already have one example of lightly regulated series in the history, that is Can Am in the late 60s and early 70s and it didn't end well.

Unlimited series is an interesting thought experiment, but not realistic option in practice.

I think an unlimited series wound be best as a sort of proving ground. Let manufacturers bring fancy things to a race track to demonstrate to the FIA whether something might be feasible for inclusion in formula one, formula e, etc. No need to made it a true race with multiple cars on track together, but more of a time trial like hill climbs and rallies are operated.

Suppose Mercedes has a great idea for some new parts, they can demonstrate them to the FIA on track in full view of the racing community. That way innovation can be had, can be defined in the rules, and can be implemented by everyone for the sake of improving the racing.

Well,Pikes Peak Hillclimb already has a restriction free class where manufacturers can enter everything they want as long as they pass safety inspection. In general,due to its nature,hillclimb races have always been more "free" than circuit racing and rallying.

Honestly,I think it's difficult to apply an unlimited class in cuircuit racing: bigger manufacturers will sure gain an advantage meaning less competition on track and less opportunities for smaller brands with limited R&D resources.

I also think it's kinda pointless in circuit racing, because the performance of the cars and therefore track position is not gonna be close at all, so why even bother and not just do time attack or point-to-point instead?

A high-profile time attack series? Yeah, sure!

RasmusP

Premium
In my opinion F1 should go back to something like you describe there!
Put a cost maximum in the rules (to something the big F1 teams are spending currently for example) and make it happen.
It actually might get lower budget teams on the podium if they have a team that can think of great things.

Who would you expect to enter in such a championship? Unless you're going to introduce a cost cap, whoever throws in the most money will win - and nobody at that point will, since there's little point in investing an unknown amount of money if somebody else will invest more (and therefore win), and even if you win you will not have won by your engineering ingenuity or what have you, but simply because you've got more money then anyone else. Formula 1 already has this problem to an extent, and they had to introduce cost-cutting measures just to keep the privateers onboard. How are you going to fill a grid of an unlimited class in a world where LMP1 was abandoned and Formula 1 struggles to get by? How do you not get the same problems those classes already have and had? How do you not become the next Le Mans GT1, or the next FIA GT Championship, or what have you?

Last edited:
It all comes down to money. It might work as someone said in a time attack fashion. Spa is probably a good choice, let them have at it. It'll be good for bragging rights.

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

Unlimited class ?!
Principe of a "class" is to regulate, no ? so a class could not be "unlimited"... strange post...
@++

RasmusP

Premium
That's why I'd just like to get F1 to be that free, unlimited (limited by money and safety) pinnacle. It's boring when the cars all look the same. I want 6 wheels and stupid looking wings again. No micro detailed winglets and a front wing that make close driving impossible.
Active aero, active suspension, throw it all in. If they go too fancy it will be unreliable and they won't get the WC.
Safety isn't really a major concern anymore. I can't remember the last time a driver had some serious injury after an impact that might happen by unreliable aero/suspension. If anything bad happened it was due to tyres or pieces coming off...

I so wanna see an "Unlimited" Class time attack cars something where no rules are allowed apart from one, the cars must protect the driver from an accident, I would like to see more of it return as like the old CanAm cars but with more safety....and also no engine regulations I would like to see what engine manufacturers would do when they have no rules regarding what they can do with engines too....that would be insanity!

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.7%
  • €3001-5000