Confessions of an Achievements Hunter

Achievement can be fun, but to many are stupidly easy, like this one is from rFactor 2:
zLaysGw.jpg
The best part of this : 92.2% of the users achieved it.
85.6% of the users managed to do 1 kilometer in practice, 77.7% of the users did 10 kilometers in practice.

7.8% of the users who bought the game didn't bother, or couldn't click on the race button to enter the car.

I just don't get them, they were never a thing when I started gaming and have always felt like a half arsed tack on to make it seem like there's more to do in the game. There's no reason do go out of the way to achieve them and nothing gained from doing it.

I like them for those moments where you're not racing online with real opponents. You can just jump in, fire up the title and see what you can unlock.
AC is good for this. A lot of them are rock hard but then you could say the same for trying to get to the top of the leaderboards in Raceroom which, if you could, would be an achievement in itself.
I played Dead Space on the Xbox and it was great unlocking achievements. The PC version didn't have them and the experience was not quite as fulfilling, although still shat myself playing it... :confused:

RF2 achievements were so basic and added at the last minute once they went over to Steam that they're fairly irrelevant.

Not quite an achievement but something that makes me smile now.

Can't remember which Gran Turismo game it was but I did what I thought was everything and the game was stuck on 99% complete! I spent ages trying to figure out what was causing that 1% loss...never found it! lol

The joys of being a teenager and having way too much spare time... :laugh::)

"Competition usually makes things more enjoyable" is why I play MP mostly. RSR can be fun when noone is about for online racing. Failing that I sometimes do a hill climb in SP or make a skin. I've never yet gone achievement hunting.

I used to achievement hunt on the Xbox 360 with various games, most fun i had was on PGR4 with my friend.

Recently i tried getting an AMS achievement which took me a while.
7f8047c7a48d25cdfb6658bc5e69a30f.png

Kept getting half a mph of all the time. Decided to sacrifice my driver at the end of the straight at Kyalami after getting a tow from another car. I got the achievement but at what cost :(

(Its probably an easy achievement to get. But as per usual I was being an idiot more or less)

Wow I thought I was the only simracer in the world enjoying the Steam achievements, glad to know I'm not!
Every games does it differently:
- F1 2017: does it best, the reason I played this game so much was to unlock the final achievements (reach level 50 online and develop 75% of your car)
- PC2: also has interesting and diverse achievements, some of them push you to discover new things like the "Win Indy 500" achievement, I would never have thought of doing a 200 lap race otherwise (you can let the AI drive but it's less fun).
-AC: I'm frustrated with how they've done it, there are just so many of them it's impossible for most players to complete all.
-RF2: disappointing, just like the game. The achievements don't require skill and are pointless (race at 6am, race at 12am, race at...).

Overall the simcade games do it best, maybe because they don't take themselves too seriously.

View attachment 252717
... Get faster than Jimmy Clark at Monza ...
Now there's an achievement! I was 16 years old when Jim Clark made that qualifying run at Monza. What a wonderful opportunity, to be able to experience that moment in history, albeit virtually. During my attempts it didn't matter if I beat the time or not, every lap that I failed just showed how hard it was to do in 1966 and just how good Jim Clark really was.

For me, the ability to re-live history is the power of Assetto Corsa, The Simulization. The point is, I wasn't there when Jim Clark drove at Monza and likely will never get a chance to drive a real Lotus 49, AC allowed me just a little taste of what it must have been like.

June 18, 1967, Dan Gurney won a historic victory at the Belgian Gran Prix: an American Driver winning a GP in a car he built. A couple weeks later Gurney teamed with AJ Foyt and pulled off an all-American win at Le Mans in the Ford GT Mk. IV. Phil Hill's bittersweet 1961 GP Championship in one of the most beautiful cars ever built, the Ferrari 156. I could go on and on and probably will.

All of these events and much much more so very easily replicated in AC, IF we had the cars.

phil hill Ferrari.jpg

Last edited:
Since I'm a Jim Clark fan what was the actual time and was it with the banking? Is there a place to find actual lap times back then ?
No Banking, 1:28.5.

I don't know finding about lap times. I found a website that had good information a while back ... I'll try to find it again.

Rob Walker covered F1 for Road & Track back in the day ... he and The New York Times were my sources for information. Denis Jenkinson wrote about F1 for Motor Sport and provided interesting reading. If those articles could be found, they would provide much data and back story.

At one time, I had a collection of Road & Track Magazines going back before 1960 ... but about 6 years ago a pipe burst in my basement and turned them all into so much paper mache'. :confused::cry::cry:

As far as I know neither R&T nor Motor Racing ever archived their back issues to DVD. I shake my head sadly at so much history lost.

Last edited:
Since I'm a Jim Clark fan what was the actual time and was it with the banking? Is there a place to find actual lap times back then ?

http://www.statsf1.com/en/1967/italie/qualification.aspx
It was 1967, and Clark clocked an astonishing 1'28"500 at Monza with the Lotus 49, both in qualifying and race. No banking, those weren't used anymore in F1 since 1961. The website I linked you has detailed stats for all races in F1 history.

Argh, ninja'd by @Ted Duncan Jr :D

I don't understand why you can't just set your own goals. I don't pay any attention to the prwpre achievements, but I constantly set my own with different car/track combos. Sometimes, I stick with a single car for a month, just trying to learn it inside and out, constantly trying to get another tenth here or there, or perfect a corner, or see what the highest difficulty is I can win at, or just try to beat my own peropers best.

Canned achievements are fine, I guess, but I don't really think they are necessary or needed.

The only achievements I liked were the ones in GTR2 driving school (get good to unlock series) and the ones on Granturismo 1&2 (when I was a console peasant) to unlock licenses and cars...actual ones are useless in my opinion,no real rewards or game progressions...

For RPG, FPS/indie games yeah sure but that was in the distant past. But in racing games, trophies/achievements never been a thing for me.....

My youngest son like getting these achievements and stuff, but I am too old to even notice the silly little things.:cool:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back