Confessions of an Achievements Hunter

Achievements.jpg

One thing that I really like in games is achievements and trophies. I know, starting right off the bat with an introduction like this is not going to get me much sympathy. Especially since we are in a community that is sim-oriented, rather than revolving around more arcade and casual games. Still, allow me to explain.

The reason why I like achievements and trophies so much is not due to completionism, or because I cannot have fun simply enjoying the game as it is. I like them because they put me in a specific contest. They give me an objective, a goal to aim for. Get faster than Jimmy Clark at Monza, beat the Stig, lap under a certain time in the Nords, win a championship in adverse conditions, learn to master a vehicle. These are all very generic examples to clear up a point. Achievements give you a purpose.

Of course, I know that you are probably going to object me that you do not really need them to actually find purpose in playing a sim. It simply is your passion! Yes, same for me. What I mean is not that your go to sim is an empty shell without trophies to get, or that there is really nothing else to do besides trying to win them. What I mean is that competition usually makes things more enjoyable.

Having a goal set in front of you, hard to get, puts you in a specific mind set. You want to get better. Simple as that. Which means you will practice, you will learn to adapt to a specific contest, you will try to overcome the obstacles between you and your end goal. It can be frustrating, it can be hard, it can be stressful, but in the end it gives you tons of fun. When you succeed, you feel accomplished. Alternatively, if you don’t, then you learn something new. Knowledge comes from failure. Those who always win never learn anything. You have to fail to actually get better.

Assetto-Corsa-Competizione-1.jpg

Achievements are neither essential, nor a fundamental requirement for a sim, however they create predetermined conditions in which you can quickly hop in and test your driving to the limit. They are designed for that. That’s where the fun is. Have a challenge specifically prepared by some malicious developer, and see if you are up to it. Moreover, many times they get you to try combos you would not think of otherwise, getting deeper into the game itself and exploring much of its content.

Everyone does simracing for different reasons. You could be racing to improve your skills and perfect your technique, to join some league and have fun with friends, to get better statistics to get part in races that are more prestigious. To win prizes, to get yourself a reputation. It could also be just to have a fun relaxing race with clean drivers, either human or artificial, after a hard day’s work. Why not? That is the whole point. Every one of us has its specific mentality, and his own idea of fun and challenging.

Now, I do not want this to be an “ode to achievements”. The endpoint is that it is perfectly fine if you don’t find them useful, or just cannot care about them! I just noticed some anger in the community between people who like them and those who do not, so I felt like this is a fire that needs to be put out. If your preferred sim gets trophies or achievements, it’s not the end of the world. Nor is people asking for them to be implemented to blame, if that happens. It’s not that they are diminishing the sim’s value, or making it any worse. It is just people, who share the same passion as you do, but like to experience it from a different perspective. They have a different idea of fun. Our differences do not make us opposites, just different part of a whole. Like faces of a coin. Learning to coexist peacefully is the key. In the end, it is the overall community supporting a game that makes it better throughout its various requests.

PS yes, achievements like “speed up to 100km/h” are indeed stupid! No need to argue about that, lads!

RaceRoom Racing Experience GT3.jpg

Do you like Achievements and Trophies? Do you prefer special events like in Assetto Corsa or online contests like those set by Raceroom Racing Experience and Automobilista? You don’t, and find them in general unnecessary? Why?

See you in the comments section!

Last edited:

Brownninja97

Premium
Through highschool(f*** that was nearly a decade ago now) I was hardcore with achievements, my friends and I were heavily invested with getting the highest amount of achievements, we had a gentlemens agreement to make sure we all get the same games so that it didnt get unfair for those with more money. Weird how engrossed we were, we didnt consider buying games without achievements. We went from all sorts of genres from fps to puzzle to clicker to racing etc etc. But those days are gone, I dont have the time or motivation to carry on doing it for the achievements anymore.

I still do like getting achievements, it doesnt really have value but its just nice to have that little burst of excitement to earn one, i always find myself checking why I actually unlocked it.

I do find that for racing titles though the achievements are a bit stale especially assetto corsa where its bloated to hell and perhaps more difficult then it needs to be.

I do find that for racing titles though the achievements are a bit stale especially assetto corsa where its bloated to hell and perhaps more difficult then it needs to be.

Yes I must agree that in AC the challenge is many times unbalanced, both because too easy or way too hard. But when it actually works, it's so good!

Why i haven't bothered in racing sims i don't know, but hey, why not :).

That's the spirit ;) Why not try something new? Might be good, might be bad, no way of telling if not trying first!

I like achievements too, those that require using a specific vehicle that I wouldn't normally use or a specific scenario. If done correctly and in a clever manner achievements can be a lot of fun. I'm not into the "difficult" ones though, more into the "try something weird/different".

Your avatar made me think that I'm most likely gonna buy MotoGP 18 or Ride 3 when they come out, as I want to get into bike racing a little bit. Do you have any experience with achievements in bike games? How's the situation on that part of the front? :D[/QUOTE]

Interesting reading. The only sims i've so far gone "achievment hunting" on and off, is the truck sims (ETS2 and ATS). Why i haven't bothered in racing sims i don't know, but hey, why not :). It's easy to agree that having a mission to complete a specific task could give some extra motivation.

Apart from Skyrim and Subnautica my only other 100%s are ETS2 and ATS!! :)

Your avatar made me think that I'm most likely gonna buy MotoGP 18 or Ride 3 when they come out, as I want to get into bike racing a little bit. Do you have any experience with achievements in bike games? How's the situation on that part of the front? :D

So far the Achievements in Milestone bikes games are quite easily dooable, only ones I miss are MP as I don't do that. Having a look most are about winning things and doing things, doing stoppy/wheelie sort of thing.

Nothing wrong with achievments but they are mostly usfefull to diferenciate similar skilled drivers.
It reminds me of gran turismo driving school when there was no online multiplayer, it was great to try and achieve the gold.
I just don't care much about random achievements I didnt know they even existed and pop up every single time I finish a quick session. It does bring a feeling of mobile phone game.

The biggest trophy they should have for online is managed a race (non league) without smashing into someone else in turn 1.
It makes sense to not bother qualifying and sitting at the end of the grid, have a cuppa tea and wait for the shenanigans to be over and then start

Achievement can be fun, but to many are stupidly easy, like this one is from rFactor 2:
zLaysGw.jpg

Yeah this is just daft, equally daft was a Pcars one to go around Monaco backwards...I mean wut? I don't mind one's that reward long term useage like number of wins/races/mileage etc.

World of Trucks has an achievement for 1 million km travelled! :o That'll take me a while!!

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 93 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • €3001-5000