Community Question | Your Best Sim Racing Purchase

img20171025170548.jpg

In 2020, the list of accessories one can purchase to enhance the sim racing experience is near endless - but which item has been your absolute best sim racing purchase during your virtual career?

It could be a PC component (or a console ofc!), a bit of hardware, an app, a game or even some content - the scope of the question is as wide as you wish to make it.

We are lucky to live in a day and age where many things are possible, and immersion of our hobby has really moved to a level we thought practically impossible just a short decade ago.

With such a massive list of variables within our chosen (e)sport, which piece of hardware/software has proven the test of time to be your ultimate best sim racing purchase?

View attachment 364243

A year ago, I bought a Logitech MOMO (I know it's not a real sim racing wheel nowadays, but sorry guys I can't afford Fanatec and such wheels).
Anyway, it is used, but it has some kind of FFB moodification I mean stronger and much more intense feedback. It's surprisingly enjoyable,and wroks very nice with AC, F1 series, PC 1-2 etc.

It was about 30$, so I would say that was my best purchase. Regarding to softwares I think AC provided the most intense multiplayer experience.

Happy racing! :)

My Rift S. Not because of the incredible immersion (which it has) but because it has also saved me a few quid in tempering my need to buy more rims and button boxes - I'm happy with a formula style and a round rim. Nearly pulled the trigger on the fanatec Porsche wheel and remembered there wasn't much need being in VR - I'd never get to see how sexy it was.

VR! It's what brought me back after a 13 year hiatus. I always struggled with having a good feel for what the car was doing and where everyone else was around me even with wide screen (and the three screen hacks available in 2007). But the moment I tried the Occulus Rift, everything changed. Being able to change my head position even minutely gives me such a better sense of distance and handling.

in 2006, I tried building a racing arcade business around Live for Speed and Force Dynamics' 6DOF motion platform. Sadly the economics didn't work out.

I still love that platform and would love to try it it with VR, but it's just not something I can afford as a hobby driver.

Even having used owned the 301, I feel that VR is more immersive, as least for me. I suppose my sense of motion is more heavily influenced by eyes than inner ear.

Second most important upgrade were the CSL Elite load cell pedals. I think the key is less those pedals in particular than going from potentiometer to load cell. Before load cell, i had a hard time with being consistent about braking pressure and locking up the wheels.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 133 85.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 48 31.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 55 35.5%