Community Question | Your Best Sim Racing Purchase

What exactly does VR do to help you drive well?

Here goes, its a divisive topic.. because if you have a machine that cannot deliver clean crisp smooth VR, the experience is VERY different.. puke-a-tronically different..

it adds natural view, you can look around corners the way you normally would, and yes I know that on triple screen this is somewhat covered to your peripheral vision, but unless your triple setup is 3 X 40' monitors and you are INSIDE the screens, its still only a close second place.. things like looking into a corner are simulated on screens of course, but are highly unnatural because it looks with the wheel, so when you hit SS's its just weird, like you are drunk. You are INSIDE the game, you cannot look over the monitors, around the monitors, you cannot even see your real steering wheel, you see the cars one.. You cannot even see your wife looking at you disapprovingly wondering why she is married to a grown up child playing car games.. if setup properly in a sim rig, the wheel, the drivers arms, are your wheel and your arms. the immersion is complete. (or as complete as it will get playing like this), the whole car interior exists, its not just a bit of a thing you see when you hit the look left/right buttons.

then of course, the big ticket sale, FOV.. no dicking around to get it right, its already right. the sense of speeds is perfect, exciting even..

All added up, I can practice a track till I cannot squeeze an extra 0.1s out of it, hop in vr and consistently knock 1-2s more off in my first run, and then improve. going back to screens i slow down again. Overtakes can be a LOT closer, depth perspective is a lot better.

its like drugs and sex.. you cant explain to someone how good it is if they have never done it. But. I tried.

Triples, the best "lean" in any game I have, see after hell corner and into the top, now if you could add anopther set of triples above and below these three you would be getting close to VR perhaps.

in VR, the view is static, all the motion is from my actual head. (in game, from my perspective in my brain, the horizon is dead flat, the motion is on the screen mirror). Note that because of how VR mirrors the view the perspective is incorrect in this clip, so do not judge on that.

Caveats: The downsides are that currently VR tech is quite low resolution, compared to 3 x 1440p monitors, and all added up, the cost of a triple stand plus 3 monitors rivals the cost of just VR (the card required to run either is still the same, expensive). The visual experience on triples is still better (with my current tech)
Not all VR is born the same, the tracking from my Oculus is just rubbish, my view keeps drifting off sideways etc. but from my Vive FAR better.. rock solid. Gave the oculus to my kids. Vive is a lot more expensive though.
Wearing a heavy ass helmet on your head can distract from immersion (arguably it can feel like an actual helmet on your head), as it can get hot and sweaty in there, and if you wear glasses can be awkward.
Not all games support VR well, PC2, AMS2 can do VR very well, madness engine is good at it, the vr in ACC and DR2 is spectacular, -IF- you have a machine that can run it at high to ultra settings (4.5ghz+ CPU and 2080ti min spec), but other games with lesser graphics, like AC, KartKraft, are passable if you have graphics mods, then games like RF2 for example are just crap, no matter what you try, i prefer rf2 on screen. (more the pity..)

Last edited:
find a mate that has it.. in my experience it goes one of two ways.. immediate nausea or immediate addiction. as per cavetas above, even a good VR headset can cause this if the machine/game its running on is not right. delays in motions, screen "watering" and tearing, and incorrect IPD/World scaling can all cause this. (edit: No matter what kind of game or what setting I try, my wife suffers near instant nausea in all of them). A perfect example in my case is Google Earth VR.. in its default setting I am fine, it has a little option to set world scale to actual, and flying down the side of the grand canyon, then looking up at those massive cliff faces causes nausea for me.. having never jumped off the side of the grand canyon, then looking up IRL, cannot say if the real thing wouldnt also cause instant nausea (or death).. YMMV

I may get the next generation of VR.

Right now, I'm looking at a lot of money for a wheelbase, wheel, pedals, and possible 34-35" 21x9 monitor. The WB will have to get attached to my very heavy/solid PC computer desk, unfortunately (room is small). The Fanatec ClubSport 2.5 has a desk clamp. The Simucube 2 Sport has the least DD torque at 17Nm of all the Simucube models... maybe my desk can handle that, with a desk clamp if one is available.(probably not)

Last edited:
pt1.jpg
the pt 1 rocked my world after that the oculus rift did .
cant wait for a dd steering wheel .

I may get the next generation of VR.

Right now, I'm looking at a lot of money for a wheelbase, wheel, pedals, and possible 34-35" 21x9 monitor. The WB will have to get attached to my very heavy/solid PC computer desk, unfortunately (room is small). The Fanatec ClubSport 2.5 has a desk clamp. The Simucube 2 Sport has the least DD torque at 17Nm of all the Simucube models... maybe my desk can handle that, with a desk clamp if one is available.(probably not)

Fanatec DD wheels are FFB adjustable from zero up to their max, I also believe other DD wheels have the same capabilities. Bottom line if you can afford a DD, get one you can always dial it down for now (up later if you get a rig). Others can chime in as they wish as to the value of a DD running at reduced FFB, but still delivering good car/road feel.

P.S. the CS Table Clamp v2 also works with the podium base.

Thanks.

I've contacted Simucube about whether they have a desk clamp for the Simucube 2 Sport model. I wonder if the desk clamp available for the Fanatec ClubSport wheelbase has the same pattern of mounting holes as the Simucube... (a snowflake in hell?)...

Simucube email just now...

Granite Devices Sales <sales@granitedevices.com>
2:28 PM (41 minutes ago)
"We do not supply Simucube 2's with the desktop mounting bracket. Our
resellers are supplying those, sometimes free-of-charge, to their customers.

I do not know if there is a clamp-style bracket available. Simucube 2
products are designed for rigid mounting to a racing rig.

--Mika Takala
Granite Devices Inc.
Tampere, Finland"

I'm trying their re-sellers now...

Just heard from SC2 USA distributor I guess he is... He doesn't have a desk clamp now, but may in several months... He included the link to the SC2 servo motor bracket that is available... with that, I would need to drill holes in my desk to mount it (above my pay grade).

My life has been lived w/ the very best tool in our home over the years that can be used for any repair/modification of anything.... It's called a TELEPHONE...

Here is his email reply:
"We dont have any motor mounts available at the moment, I hope to be able to offer them in webshop before the summer.

But, please check for this option here, looks they have in stock too:
https://sim-lab.eu/product/direct-drive-motor-mount-original-version/
Best regards,
Tomo Meglic
www.SimRacingBay.com"

Last edited:
In 2020, the list of accessories one can purchase to enhance the sim racing experience is near endless - but which item has been your absolute best sim racing purchase during your virtual career?

It could be a PC component (or a console ofc!), a bit of hardware, an app, a game or even some content - the scope of the question is as wide as you wish to make it.

We are lucky to live in a day and age where many things are possible, and immersion of our hobby has really moved to a level we thought practically impossible just a short decade ago.

With such a massive list of variables within our chosen (e)sport, which piece of hardware/software has proven the test of time to be your ultimate best sim racing purchase?

View attachment 364243
[/QUOTE CSL Elite and new gaming PC. Trying to get a cockpit but it’s been tough.

1.Samsung Odyssey. Driving using a screen has never been the same since I went into VR
2. All the rest. I love my Aiologs Sequential shifter. My IR Blackbox V2 (from SRT) is also a gem. What an amazing button box
Wheel_20200515-LQ.jpg

The Rotax Max Mod for rFactor 1. Before this mod, I thought decent karting is not possible in rFactor. This mod changed everything. It took some time for me to realize it was not the mod, but the Realfeel and Leo FFB ini files which came with it. After learning to set up these ini files for other mods, driving with rFactor 1 became a whole new experience for me.

For me its a combo of two.... My 49 inch ultrawide monitor and Trackir
I'd be interested to hear your experience. I've got the Samsung 49", gets set up next week when PC arrives. And was thinking of Trackir or Tobii.
Do you know what the difference is??

I'd be interested to hear your experience. I've got the Samsung 49", gets set up next week when PC arrives. And was thinking of Trackir or Tobii.

Damn I seen this late lol... Sorry

I can't give you any user experience between eye and head tracking. But I can tell you, eye tracking is as simple as holding your head still, but moving your eyes around. That sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Maybe on small displays that could work great though.

Been using Trackir a few years now. Started out with it on an LG 34 inch ultrawide monitor 21:9. I thought that was amazing. But still found my head pointed off screen a bit while my eyes looked the other direction. It wasn't that bad though on that size of a monitor. Hardly noticeable cause 34 inches is pretty wide.
Heres a video of me with that monitor via trackir in a RD R3E club race

Since upgrading to this massive Acer 49 inch super ultrawide curved Monitor @32:9, using trackir feels very natural with trackir. You REALLY have pan your head around this size of monitor for gaming or desktop tasks thereby, making effective use of trackir to see more.
I can now turn my head with my eyes and head still focused on screen. To check side mirrors, I have to turn my head to the far side of the screen and my eyes follow. That feels so damn natural its scary lol.
Heres a video of me using the trackir on that massive monitor

Can't stand it when people criticize trackir so negatively. They are easily over looking one simple fact... The larger your display, the better and more natural your trackir experience with be.
Obviously, using trackir on a standard 16:9 32 inch display or lower, will result in headaches, strained neck, eye strain, overall discomfort and could even cause distractions while racing. The larger the display... The use of tripples or projection screen... Eliminates all those issues and you simple turn your head and move your eyes in a natural motion.
For racing purposes, trackir is really easy to setup within the software. When I started out, I disabled all axis but left yaw enabled. And configured that to my liking. Got used it for a few weeks, then added small amount of pitch just to add some immersion of feeling like being in the cockpit and to check cockpit centre rearview mirror. These ultrawide monitors are only as high as a 27 inch display. So not much pitch needed. Adding roll causes distraction for me while driving. So left that one disabled.
Trackir really is dumb easy to setup. Even upgrading to a new larger monitor, I've only adjusted the yaw axis by 1 or 2 clicks pending on game. Before that, never once needed to fiddle around with trackir software. I setup trackir software day one when I first got it back in mid 2016... That's it!
I hope you enjoy your new monitor and hopefully you get into trackir. If you find the cost of trackir too high, you can make your own for dirt cheap. For me personally, I've done my fair bit of research and heavily decided on purchasing the trackir.

I used EdTracker wireless with my 100" 16:9 front projection and later with my 32:9 49" Samsung. So a third contender on the market worth checking out. It can be used in a dark room, which was my main issue with optical systems.
Worked fine in terms of tracking, but felt unnecessary for the ultra wide screen and messed up my cornering lines to an extent. In the end I also didn't like the car dash moving around on screen when I move the head. So I stopped using it.

Back in the day, using a G25 wheel on my PS3 instead of a pad started the journey.
Then upgrading that wheel to a Fanatec Porsche GT2
Making the home PC a gaming machine with my first dedicated GPU after seeing rF1 and GTR2 in action.

But out of all that stuff that initially got me in to sim racing, my best purchase has to be my Fanatec CSW v1 with CSR Elite pedals. They have lasted so long and with some repairs already carried out, will hopefully last me even longer.

My own designed and built 8020 rig. Going from a wheelstand pro and a living room seat to a purpose built racing rig with Sparco racing seat is a very close second as its changed things with regards to comfort and immersion.

144hz triple monitors are joint second to the rig. Mind = Blown after setting those puppies up. But they would be nothing without the rig, a decent PC and the wheel and pedals

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 305 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%