Community Question | Your Best Sim Racing Purchase

I have the same excellent wheel rim but I can’t see it! Such a shame
Edit, I don’t know how to use the forum anymore, post below... picture...

Last edited:
img20171025170548.jpg
I did not realize it was Christmas! Santa loves you.

VR! It's what brought me back after a 13 year hiatus. I always struggled with having a good feel for what the car was doing and where everyone else was around me even with wide screen (and the three screen hacks available in 2007). But the moment I tried the Occulus Rift, everything changed. Being able to change my head position even minutely gives me such a better sense of distance and handling.

in 2006, I tried building a racing arcade business around Live for Speed and Force Dynamics' 6DOF motion platform. Sadly the economics didn't work out.

I still love that platform and would love to try it it with VR, but it's just not something I can afford as a hobby driver.

Even having used owned the 301, I feel that VR is more immersive, as least for me. I suppose my sense of motion is more heavily influenced by eyes than inner ear.

Second most important upgrade were the CSL Elite load cell pedals. I think the key is less those pedals in particular than going from potentiometer to load cell. Before load cell, i had a hard time with being consistent about braking pressure and locking up the wheels.

My God, was that a parody video, or is that how much movement is typical? It looked to me like that the guy was riding a bull at the rodeo....

Thread title... best sim car racing purchase... My next one... ( I had a wheel/pedals @10-12 yrs ago). We lost them in our last move, and never got involved with it since.

Now, I think getting ready to jump in w/ both feet... just hesitating a bit as I sort out costs for it all with Covid-19 complicating things.

In 2020, the list of accessories one can purchase to enhance the sim racing experience is near endless - but which item has been your absolute best sim racing purchase during your virtual career?

It could be a PC component (or a console ofc!), a bit of hardware, an app, a game or even some content - the scope of the question is as wide as you wish to make it.

We are lucky to live in a day and age where many things are possible, and immersion of our hobby has really moved to a level we thought practically impossible just a short decade ago.

With such a massive list of variables within our chosen (e)sport, which piece of hardware/software has proven the test of time to be your ultimate best sim racing purchase?

View attachment 364243
Hello, what is your sreen ?

Logi Momo red wheel and pedals.

Got me started in simracing.

My first pc when I was 33 years old,my first racing game was Nascar Heat on that format,I was gobsmacked by the graphics,the game was quite good for it’s time but then I explored Papyrus Nascar and GPL.

Also purchasing Geoff Crammond’s F1GP on the Amiga,blew me away,drove with a digital joystick,Quickshot Pro if I remember.

Last edited:
First Oculus Rift.
Second belt driven wheel - not ready for the DD leap.

PS - VR is not a full time must, still use my screen and continue to buy non VR racers.

Last edited:
Going from g27 to csw 2.5.
Feeling the weight shift nuances when starting to brake and when going back on the throttle changed the driving experience from "doing correct inputs" to "driving by instincts".
The loadcell csl pedals were a nice upgrade too but when I tried my old g27 pedals with the new wheel I could brake better and accelerate more controlled too.
Simply due to feeling the pedal inputs in the ffb!

Was thinking about to quit simracing but then decided to give it another try with the better wheel and it's awesome again since then :)

I must confess that the pedals, which came with the G 27, are pretty good for it's price class.

Last edited:
Simucube and DD wheel. Going from a Fanatec to that felt much more significant than I expected it to. It also forced me to get more familiar with fine tuning and tweaking things, which has helped me gain a better understanding of force feedback and in general and how those settings affect real world feel.

I would also say VR, but I had that before I got into sim racing.

The best bit of simracing kit I've purchased, and believe that every sim enthusiast should have in their lives is...

View attachment 368920
No more struggling with a lost mouse, dropped mouse, unable to track on your legs mouse. Perfect for cockpit use. Sure it's fugly as hell, but then so are French Bulldogs and it seems every other dog owner has one round my neck of the woods.

EDIT: It's a Logitech K400 Plus in case anybody wants to know.
But I'm left handed, IEE!

Simucube and DD wheel. Going from a Fanatec to that felt much more significant than I expected it to. It also forced me to get more familiar with fine tuning and tweaking things, which has helped me gain a better understanding of force feedback and in general and how those settings affect real world feel.

I would also say VR, but I had that before I got into sim racing.

When you say going from a Fanatec, do you mean a Fanatec DD or a Fanatec belt drive.

I'm currently going through options for a DD wheel (well I have been for a year or so) and Fanatec was at the top of my list for a DD wheel.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.