Can Verstappen Still Score Big in Monaco From Back of the Grid?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Verstappen FP3 Crash.jpg

Thanks to his FP3 accident this morning, Max Verstappen will start the Monaco Grand Prix from last on the grid - but can the Flying Dutchman still score good points on Sunday?

We know Verstappen has the talent, we know Red Bull are probably the fastest car this weekend at Monaco and we know the Dutchman lacks nothing in the bravery department, but with overtaking so difficult around the streets of Monte Carlo, can Verstappen save something from the weekend and score a solid result in the race on Sunday?

R

ronniej

• ronniej

Verstappen, Monte Carlo, back of the grid? My faith is not strong, spidey senses are not tingly, the force is not with us, etc. etc.

wombat999

Premium
And a 5 point grid penalty for the next round!
Horner is NOT happy, 6 consecutive 'Incidents' is not a good look.
Provided Verstappen drives sensibly for once he might sneak into the top 10.
:giggle:

Last edited:

123rem

@Simberia
Can see him getting frustrated and over cooking it. From where he starts, he needs to keep a cool head, hope for the best and settle for whatever he gets, but I can't see him doing that.

Race will be won on safety cars and pit stops I suspect.

As good as he is, Verstappen is inexperienced. He makes stupid mistakes still. A proper stretch in the lower formulas would have helped him, but money talks.

RMR1

@Simberia
MV is the one driver ruining F1and paving the way for the NFS crowd. Ban him I say.
Let him rot in lower classes until he got the inspiration spark of knowing how to drive a top tier open wheeler against others.

Above all I think his accident was a big loss for the F1 spectacle both today in quali and for the race. I was so looking forward to seeing which Red Bull, for a change, would be on pole and the tense start and race that would surely have lead to tomorrow.

Max is an exciting racer but he seems to have let the red mist descend this year. I think he will be too aggressive and cause an accident in an attempted overtake, if that is he survives Grosjean's inevitable dodgems.

I hope it's a clean race and Danny Ric gets his deserved win and it isn't a race dictated by badly timed safety cars.

123rem

@Simberia
MV is the one driver ruining F1and paving the way for the NFS crowd. Ban him I say.
Let him rot in lower classes until he got the inspiration spark of knowing how to drive a top tier open wheeler against others.

I presume this is sarcasm, but it makes no sense. No one good enough "rots in the lower classes", that is where they gain all they need to succeed in Formula 1. Hamilton and M.Verstappen are stereotypical examples of drivers promoted ahead of ability. Hamilton has under-achieved in the best car for the last 11 seasons and Verstappen still drives like an F3 amateur, making fundamental errors and poor judgement.

Money talks.

RMR1

@Simberia
All cheese heads naturally feel offended here. Taken.
But MV is objectively a bad driver, cope with it.

RMR1

@Simberia
I presume this is sarcasm, but it makes no sense. No one good enough "rots in the lower classes", that is where they gain all they need to succeed in Formula 1. Hamilton and M.Verstappen are stereotypical examples of drivers promoted ahead of ability. Hamilton has under-achieved in the best car for the last 11 seasons and Verstappen still drives like an F3 amateur, making fundamental errors and poor judgement.

Money talks.
:O_o:
Where did Hamilton underperform?
Comparing the hot cheese head to a 4 times world champion is a bit weird.
And I find “Die Luise” one of the worst WC of all time...

It's actually the moment for Max to shine.

>Monaco
>Back of the grid
>Free tyre choice/strategy choice

Now if he can put his supposed talent to use and do it without punting people off and without SC/red flag and still manage top 10, then, and then only will he have shown he does have that talent his fanboy club is so convinced of.

In any case, I'll be following him tomorrow with great interest.

Bram

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
With a pitstop directly after lap 1 and then praying for a safety car and finish the race without further pitstops.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • €3001-5000