BREAKING: Daniel Ricciardo to Renault

Consider Renault's F1 history.
3) Two constructor's and driver's championships as Renault, along with four driver's championships as engine suppliers during the last N/A formula.
12 constructor's championships (2nd world rank) and 11 driver's championships in total.
168 victories (3rd)
213 pole positions (3rd)
171 best laps (2nd)
452 podiums (2nd)
581 grand prix (3rd)

Results from the past are no garantee for the future. :whistling:

Too bad RIC moves over to Renault, would loved to see him one more year with VER in the RBR Honda.

I think the Renault engine will still fail against the Mercedes and Ferrari power. Since the current engine was introduced Renault was always under powered compared to the Mercedes and Ferrari.
I think next season Honda will bypass Renault. Last couple of races I have seen more Renault engines fail compared to the ones from Honda.:cautious:

Results from the past are no garantee for the future. :whistling:
Right! People will stick to any excuse to defend something they like lol, if past results meant anything McLaren and Williams would be on Mercedes level now

Truth is the only team that have a minimal chance to fight for something against Ferrari and Mercedes under current rules is Red Bull. And IMO it's far easier for Honda building only the engine to improve than Renault building the whole car, especially because Red Bull has a much better engineering team than anything Honda has worked with in recent years.

why is everyone saying honda is weak? they have been performing fine with torro rosso

just because alonso and mclaren used them as a scape goat last year doesn't make them crap, 3 years ago yes they were crap,

why is everyone saying honda is weak? they have been performing fine with torro rosso

just because alonso and mclaren used them as a scape goat last year doesn't make them crap, 3 years ago yes they were crap,

Honda engine seems to be good (not super fast), perhaps McLaren didn't know how to use them. Coupled by the fact they are in last place among Renault users tells me their overall package could be crap regardless of engine. I think Renault as a team is solidly in 4th place and fighting well with Haas, which is basically a Ferrari B team.
Renault engine reliability in the Renault car has been reasonable, and I feel like the Honda deal to red bull really pissed them off. Not surprised they only gave red bull half their requested parts in Germany to make them suffer a little more. Was it not one of those parts that failed VER in Hungary?

He had to try something. Also the Max favouritism in RBR must have been a factor.

Renault have done a number on Horner and Marko recently, well played.

Getting half the pay of Max was a bit rude from Red Bull.

Good luck Danny and hopefully this team sticks by you.

Right! People will stick to any excuse to defend something they like lol, if past results meant anything McLaren and Williams would be on Mercedes level now
There is no excuse there are facts.
By the way comparing Mclaren and Williams to Renault is a pure joke.

Don't automatically call Sainz for that red bull seat. Both Force India drivers might be out of a job soon, and either Toro Rosso driver could be promoted. Plenty of talent waiting to be signed, and any of them could make such a surprise move.
Good point as it was heavily rumoured that Ocon was heading to Renault the last two weekends- where is he going to go now?

I’ve seen an overview (see link below) of how many parts of the Honda engines already have been replaced several times in both Torro Rosso cars this season.
https://maxf1.net/en/2018-f1-power-unit-elements-usage/
Yes, they made quite a big step in performance, but reliability? I am not so sure about that! For a team like Torro Rosso getting grid penalties and stil score some points may be good enough, but for a top team like Red Bull? I don’t think so! They want to win the WC for constructors and drivers and that won’t happen with a Honda engine, or a miracle must happen! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Everyone seems to think the Honda engine is worse than it is- it’s reliability has been better than the Renault and it is generally accepted the power is close to that of Renault( backed up by Torro Rosso’s performances). I never trusted Mclaren to say the engine was bad as it was, ever since 2014 when every Mercedes engine car was miles ahead of the field( Mercedes and Williams, who remember are nowhere without the merdeces advantage now) except Mclaren.

Everyone seems to think the Honda engine is worse than it is- it’s reliability has been better than the Renault and it is generally accepted the power is close to that of Renault( backed up by Torro Rosso’s performances). I never trusted Mclaren to say the engine was bad as it was, ever since 2014 when every Mercedes engine car was miles ahead of the field( Mercedes and Williams, who remember are nowhere without the merdeces advantage now) except Mclaren.
Have you checked the link in my post above? The facts are different if you look at how many power unit elements Torro Rossa and Honda have already used in half a season.

It'll be interesting hearing verstappen crying about gp2 engine while Danny RIC ploughs past on the straights. Maybe red bull can bring some kind of fight to McLaren, Williams and Toro Rosso, but I do not think they will be title contenders next year.

I think Dan's move is a calculated, informed step forward, I wish him the best in 2019.

Works teams are always refining, reworking & updating their engine components etc, what if Renault during testing have found more grunt, but have decided to keep the new engine specs under wraps till 2019, sure it goes against the normal thinking of a competitive F1 team, but Renault probably realise that this season is to far gone to warrant massive changes and have decided to concentrate on their 2019 assault as a priority, hence going after Danny Ric.

Signing Dan may well of been based on what they have in place for next season, and Dan may have been privy to that info during talks, after all when you want to catch a big fish you need to dangle the right bait. Sure Renault may not have any ace up their sleeve for 2019, but signing the best overtaker in the field with the 2019 front wings producing less dirty air there's a good chance Dans skill will make up the short fall on power. But I think there's more to this than any of us can begin to speculate on.

Couldn't agree more.
And for all the 'experts' doubting Honda and Renault's ability, 'Mercedes' arrived in 1993 powering Sauber with the Ilmor designed V10 previously run by Leyton House-March, moving to Mclaren in 1995, finally delivering driver and constructor titles in 1998 and 1999. Point being, disregarding the development (or not) prior to the McLaren years, 'Mercedes' needed five years to reach championship status. If Renault focus 110% on running their own team (and screw the FIA) and only their own team then they just might prove Daniel's decision prescient.
Real racing this weekend BTW, MotoGP from Brno!

Those were different times. Power units have become much more complicated and Renault has proven they are not able to build a power unit with the same reliability and HP as Mercedes and Ferrari, so why would they suddenly be able to make that step? And Mercedes and Ferrari are also still improving their power units. As for Honda, with the current engine regulations they started a year later. Also here, with the current engine regulations, they won’t close the gap.

Following that logic, it was impossible for Ferrari to build a better engine than Mercedes. And yet they obviously did this year. Power units have always been Renault's strong point. It is just a matter of time and allocating the right resources (and they have plenty in this area).

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.8%