BREAKING: Daniel Ricciardo to Renault

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DjrG1F4WwAEmEAU.jpg

Renault Sport F1 have secured arguably the shock deal of the season, completing a move today to sign highly rated Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo.

Ricciardo, 29, has long been at the centre of speculation as to his future in Formula One post 2018 and has surprised many today with the announcement that a new deal to leave the Milton Keynes based team at the end of the season, striking out of the Red Bull fold with a shock deal to join Renault for 2019, partnering up with German driver Nico Hulkenberg in what should prove to be one of the strongest line-ups on the F1 grid.

"It was probably one of the most difficult decisions to take in my career so far," said Ricciardo. "But I thought that it was time for me to take on a fresh and new challenge.

"I realise that there is a lot ahead in order to allow Renault to reach their target of competing at the highest level but I have been impressed by their progression in only two years, and I know that each time Renault has been in the sport they eventually won. I hope to be able to help them in this journey and contribute on and off track."

Renault's F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul said: "Daniel's signing underscores our determination to accelerate our progress towards the forefront of the sport. It is also a recognition of the work accomplished over the past two and a half seasons.

"Daniel's undoubted talent and charisma are a huge bonus and statement for the team. We will have to repay his faith in us by delivering the best car possible. We welcome him to our growing team in 2019 with a great deal of pride, but also humility."
So the, who do you think will take that spare Red Bull seat next season?

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think the announcement is a good move for Ricciardo? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited by a moderator:
His name now changed to Daniel Alonso too
RIP career
why ? Renault is moving up in the field since last year, i don't see them going down from now on

About the reliability, i am sure that he will have less trouble than in redbull, people tend to forget (or maybe don't know) that Redbull REFUSED to get an upgraded part (at least mgu-k if i remember correctly) brought by renault (it was near monaco gp) that part was less prone to heating issue...
but yeah that's redbull's mentality, when they win, this is thanks to their chassis, when they lose, this is because of Renault :)

so happy to see my favorite pilot driving for Renault

He had to try something. Also the Max favouritism in RBR must have been a factor.

Renault have done a number on Horner and Marko recently, well played.

Seems like a silly decision on the face of it, but in terms of racing for a factory team - which will ultimately give him the best chance at a championship - it's a very smart move. He's in F1 for many more years, and so are Renault, and they're only getting better.

Right now somewhere in Surrey, near Woking, one can hear a loud banging noise... It's some unshaved Spanish guy trying to break free from a cell where his employer locked him after hearing the news.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back