BREAKING: Daniel Ricciardo to Renault

I think people are underestimating Renault - I think they are making a very serious effort at becoming championship contenders and have a proven track record of getting it done.

Sure, much the same could be said for Honda, but Honda seems to be swimming in circles while Renault has been making steady improvement. Obviously, I think your first choice would be Mercedes/Ferrari factory teams, but if one of those 4 seats aren't up, I'm personally headed straight to the Renault tent (now that RB has committed to Honda).

Daniel does not deserve to have his races ruined because his team valuates youth more than actual quality. I hope Renault can improve their pace from now on. Hulkenberg needs a winning car as well, after all those years. Gasly should take Daniel's place now, and I guess Sainz, Ocon and Perez are in trouble.

I wonder how much of this had to do with RedBull forcing him to apologize to the factory for the crash with Verstappen in Azerbaijan? Gotta feeling that didn't sit too well with him.

I also agree, I'm not sure Honda is up to the task yet. Renault reliability hasn't been good, but at least they have some power.

oH WOW! So who saw that coming? Sorry, I thought he might wanna try Honda at first, but that explains his Bull:poop: attitude at Austria. That qualifying, I thought he was saying goodbye to RedBull, but no idea where he will go so... Anyways, I have no opinions to share. I will surely watch him and see where we will pull him out after 2 years. I hope not from a :poop: pile. So who says F1 is not interesting anymore huh? This news just made my day. Thanks and cheers RD!

He obviously feels that this gives him his best chance in the long term.

I think Red Bull Honda will initially struggle, for at least the first year together.

However I personally feel Renault will not be winning races for at least another two years or maybe when the new engine regulations start.

The top three teams have such a huge advantage over everyone at the moment, you have to be in those seats to have any chance of winning. Take away the Renault engines from Red Bull and I feel that we'll end up with two teams out at the front next year.

My only fear is Renault as a works team last time, didn't get the success they wanted and pulled the plug. So far Renault seem to be here for the long term but if they don't get results soon I can see them walking.

I admire Daniel for his decision and wish him all the best but it will be tough for him at the beginning at least.

Don't automatically call Sainz for that red bull seat. Both Force India drivers might be out of a job soon, and either Toro Rosso driver could be promoted. Plenty of talent waiting to be signed, and any of them could make such a surprise move.

Wow, I must say that I am shocked that dan has gone to Renault, not sure what to make of it to be honest. I think sooner or later he was destined to play second fiddle to verstappen at RB if he stayed ala Webber, even if he was to be faster or better placed than verstappen. RB have made numerous comments that he is their future going forward so in one way it may be Dan's way of saying stick that where the sun don't shine RB. I think they will favour max for the rest of the year now. Renault have a history of coming into F1 for a few years as a works team and then disappearing and they have not been front runners for a long time so I don't know how dan will feel about tooling around in the mid field, I hope they are paying him a massive amount to run around in the pack. Pretty soon Renault are gonna have the worst engine in F1, if they don't already. It is possible we have seen Dan's last victory in F1.

Hopefully Daniel Kivyat can return to Red Bull now then :)

No, DR is probably looking ahead a year or two; massive changes are coming to the engines. Could be a good move, come 2020.
MV & DR are not really working well for the team too, no big surprise.

What the?
Didn't see that one coming.
I wish Daniel well.
He may know something the rest of us do not. In either case, only he is able to see all that
went into this decision.
Renault may already have a winning powerplant on the dyno.
Who's to say otherwise.

Sainz will then probably take the seat at Red Bull, since Renault just "borrowed" him from the Red Bull family, he still has a contract with them.
I think Sainz will move to McLaren, besides Alonso and Gasly will move to Red Bull.

About the Ricciardo move... difficult to predict but I don’t expect Renault to be a WC contender the next few years, but the same probably applies to Red Bull because of the Honda engine.

Surprising move. Hopefully not only for the wrong reason (money). But from his perspective I certainly understand his move. Sometimes you have to make a move to get somewhere or something done. And getting more and more in the shadow of your teammate isn’t doing your carreer any favor. Certainly when you have the ambition to go for a WDC.

And indeed as some mentioned, with the change of the engine regulations it will be a tombola again. Hope the best for him. And hopefully he’s able to perform at least on the same level as the Hulk. A thing that is pretty killing for Sainz’ future in F1.

We’ll see what the future brings. I wish him all the best and hope for him and the Hulk Renault can get a decent position at the front of the field.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.