BREAKING: Daniel Ricciardo to Renault

It basically dosent matter what he does, he's boned either way.
He swappes out a great chassis with a rubbish engine, with a decent chassis with a rubbish engine in the hope Renault gets their act together, but frankly, I dont see that happening anytime soon. At the moment they lack so much pace they're being lapped. It takes years and years to get back that performance. The only positive is its a manufacturer, not a customer team.
It could either be a great Hamilton'esque move or a crap Alonso'esque move. When Hamilton moved, he headed to a manufacturer with a strong engine already and unlimited resources to improve the chassis. Renault does not have a great engine or chassis, but neither has Honda, so he's focked either way as I see it. Or in it for the very long run with Renault, but he's not young anymore in terms of racing age. Its a gamble for sure.

It basically dosent matter what he does, he's boned either way.
He swappes out a great chassis with a rubbish engine, with a decent chassis with a rubbish engine in the hope Renault gets their act together, but frankly, I dont see that happening anytime soon. At the moment they lack so much pace they're being lapped. It takes years and years to get back that performance. The only positive is its a manufacturer, not a customer team.
It could either be a great Hamilton'esque move or a crap Alonso'esque move. When Hamilton moved, he headed to a manufacturer with a strong engine already and unlimited resources to improve the chassis. Renault does not have a great engine or chassis, but neither has Honda, so he's focked either way as I see it. Or in it for the very long run with Renault, but he's not young anymore in terms of racing age. Its a gamble for sure.
Staying at RedBull is an even bigger gamble: in addition to the Honda unpredictability, Mateschitz can call it a day at any time (F1 is just a marketing toy for him) and Newey may stop when he wants. Remember there were rumors sending Newey to Renault a few weeks ago; they were dismissed but who knows what he intends for 2020 or later.

Wow, didn't expect that one. Ok, he was in for another year of limbo at Red Bull and then in 2020 maybe Ferrari or Mercedes. Probably Red Bull could not accept a 1 year renewal. But.. getting off the limelight is always dangerous, what if his replacement at Red Bull does well and suddenly Ricciardo is not the next best thing for the top teams? I am so sad he's not at Ferrari already.. what a waste.

EDIT: I am laughing hard thinking of this: Alonso calls Red Bull: "Can I have that seat?" "Hmm no, Honda boss says you're a jerk. Bye."

Mental really that Bottas is in at Merc when they could of had Dan....but as we know Bottas is a wingman like Nico was supposed to be, but Nico didn't want that.
Dan in the other Merc would of been great, but Lewis would not of allowed it.

Renault have the history and the money that if they wanted to they can put in a proper effort. As soon as this unfair advantage Merc have had is squashed who knows who will be the next best team?
Gasly to Red Bull?

Hey guys,

Sorry for the rushed article :) Spotted the news 2 minutes before heading into a team meeting.. quickly jumped on the net, tried and failed to remember my RD password, eventually logged in, told the team to hold on for a minute while I "sort some paperwork", then knocked this out quickly.

Needless to say once the meeting started, 10 minutes late, someone asked me what I had on my PC screen.. which is a hard sell, when the point of the meeting was to get the team to work harder :roflmao:

We know that Red Bull need a cool or young driver for the brand, so a driver like say for example Nico Roseburg would not fit, nor a Bottas type or even Alonso type, they can't have old or dull drivers, Gasly fits the bill for sure but would he be a clash with Max?
Would Max be upset with another young gun?

Its not easy for Red Bull so Sainz might be the best option for them. He fits.

He was like , honda?! no thanks :D (i still fear that honda will put us all in shame lol)

I think some years later we will talk about this day, i hope it will be in a positive way...
I was thinking about their overall progress from 2016 , as a Renault fan i hate to say that they didn't progress well enough (just by looking at numbers and points you can think they are progressing with a good pace) as i think all of their gains from 2016 to 2018 was just because of their drivers, at least 80% of it , in 2016 : Kmag and that Alert boi were just running in loops, lapped by everyone, in 2017 hulk was doing good but renault was a one man team back then! and in 2018 they have a good pair of drivers so they are doing good.
in term of PU i don't think they are progressing well enough , i mean i don't see any room for improvements like i see in honda (maybe after the PU rules shake up they could do a good work) but about chassis and Aero they have a lot of room for improvements .

honda aren't that bad, a few seasons ago maybe but the last season was mclaren just using them as a scape goat

I think it's a brave move from RIC going to Renault. I hope this will be the final push for the Renault squad to improve next year.

Totally dig seeing Daniel in Renault yellow and black.

Staying at RedBull is an even bigger gamble: in addition to the Honda unpredictability, Mateschitz can call it a day at any time (F1 is just a marketing toy for him) and Newey may stop when he wants. Remember there were rumors sending Newey to Renault a few weeks ago; they were dismissed but who knows what he intends for 2020 or later.

WOW that Newey rumor mate! Never heard that but really interesting! Also TorroRoso's James Key move to McLaren. Looks like a different F1 in 2019. Looks though Renault's getting the most boost, if only they can bring in the performance. I wonder where RedBull will be next year. I wish it's year end already! I don't wanna watch the next 9 races anymore! Can we Fast Forward to 2019 now?! :mad:

Totally dig seeing Daniel in Renault yellow and black.
2.png

I wonder Why:whistling:

He wont have been cheap, so I wonder if the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi-Dacia-Renault Samsung-Lada-Alpine-Infiniti-Venucia-Datsun board have decided it's time to play with the big boys £££.

I seem to remember something when they first returned as a manufacturer that they had to meet certain targets to prove it was worthwhile. Maybe the purse strings are off.

Ricciardo must have been given a good sell, it was only last week RBR and him were just dotting the I's and crossing the T's on a new contract.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.