BMW M8 GTE Coming to iRacing This March

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing BMW M8 GTE 3.jpg

iRacing have released images of the upcoming new BMW M8 GTE that is set to hit the sim very soon indeed..

Expected as part of the major March build release update, the wonderfully purposeful looking BMW M8 GTE is set to become yet another welcome edition to the endurance racing car set within the online racing simulation that is iRacing.

Joining such brands as Ford, Porsche and Ferrari in the GTE ranks of the simulation, the new and admittedly beautiful M8 is a nice change of pace from the more recent content additions to the title, and continues to expand a very nicely growing collection of GTE and GT3 machines within the simulation.

So while we await the March update, why not check these beauties out...

iRacing BMW M8 GTE 1.jpg
iRacing BMW M8 GTE 2.jpg

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

iRacing ain’t for everyone and I like it that way. The pay model keeps a lot of the less serious folks out and this sim keeps improving. Looking forward to the bmw and the continuous improvements they keep making every release.

There are collisions in the fast lane of pits, but not in the stopped lane for obvious reasons, also there is not a single series in iRacing where there is more than 7 cars that currently run in the real life equivelent, not sure why or what scenario that limit would be an issue
There is no reason for lack of colision, let alone obvious reason. This is just poor excuse. May as well turn off colision everywhere, if devs dont trust people to pit why would you trust them at 300kph, no way :D
The car limit is a issue if they plan to get some DPi and renew their GT3 grid... that's my favourite series so would be right now the main reason to get into iR. Even now the GT grid alone goes above their limit. Not cool. I love the variety from sports cars series. When I see iR official car list for races like Daytona 24h... they are just bad.
I'm talking as someone really interested in iR.

Last edited:
There is no reason for lack of colision, let alone obvious reason. This is just poor excuse. May as well turn off colision everywhere, if devs dont trust people to pit why would you trust them at 300kph, no way :D
The car limit is a issue if they plan to get some DPi and renew their GT3 grid... that's my favourite series so would be right now the main reason to get into iR. Even now the GT grid alone goes above their limit. Not cool. I love the variety from sports cars series. When I see iR official car list for races like Daytona 24h... they are just bad.
Someone mentioned earlier that they just got back into iR recently and got killed so will stick to rF2. I've been on iR for a year now and its amazing but a lot of the racers aren't. A lot more racers are not ready for keeping it responsible in the pits than those that are. iRacing is more idiot avoidance (70%) than competing with good racers (30%), and this is on a good day it can and will get worse at times. It's just an opinion like yours so i think iR should just create one extra server in each series for ultra realism where contact in pits is turned on and see how popular it is. I'd love to be proven wrong.

The car limit is a big negative, agreed. That being said i've done roughly 6-8 endurance races in rF2 and 10+ in iR over the last 18 months, all 6+ hours, half of the rF2 races had big warping issues which caused incidents ruining our races. Never happened in iR. They were all streamed on my YT channel if you want to see the evidence yourself. I'll take less cars and 100% stable any day of the week.

Someone mentioned earlier that they just got back into iR recently and got killed so will stick to rF2. I've been on iR for a year now and its amazing but a lot of the racers aren't. A lot more racers are not ready for keeping it responsible in the pits than those that are. iRacing is more idiot avoidance (70%) than competing with good racers (30%), and this is on a good day it can and will get worse at times. It's just an opinion like yours so i think iR should just create one extra server in each series for ultra realism where contact in pits is turned on and see how popular it is. I'd love to be proven wrong.

The car limit is a big negative, agreed. That being said i've done roughly 6-8 endurance races in rF2 and 10+ in iR over the last 18 months, all 6+ hours, half of the rF2 races had big warping issues which caused incidents ruining our races. Never happened in iR. They were all streamed on my YT channel if you want to see the evidence yourself. I'll take less cars and 100% stable any day of the week.

You are assuming the amount of cars is what cause the bugs in rF2 but you got no proof of that and everything investigated till now shows there is no relation to that especially because the same stupid bugs that never get fixed happens with everyone running the same model too, rF2 has other bugs but amount of cars is not one of them.

The first part of your comment is rather funny. I drive other sims with colision in pits and have 0 issues (I organized GT3 leagues using FCY for accidents and had a lot of guys pitting under yellow and grids of 30 cars with no problem), then in iR with the so promoted superior experience this becomes a issue, what the heck...

Yeah i like to celebrate on that because yay i'll have 4x GTE + 2x GT3 +DPI to choose from in imsa , not even one of the new GT3 like ferrari some of us have bought , at that time Ferrari 488 GT3 was in IMSA (this is why, again , some of us have bought it) until porsche RSR arrived , so they removed ferrari 488 GT3 to be able to have a extra GTE , so we have only AMG GT3 and Audi GT3 in imsa . (fyi my complain is not just because i have bought ferrari and now it's gone from imsa and i wanna cry lol, i have the other GT cars too)
adding only one extra slot to the 7car limit is still a laughable limitation especially if it is again to add a extra GTE (to sell a new car and maybe again remove it from one of its series like imsa to add a - lets say lmp2- in the future, like they ditched ferrari from imsa and send it to only 2 series that one of them is a fixed-setup Ferrari GT3-only and another is a GT3-only race after a little time after a good number of purchases, sure i have to celebrate with the research results:D) not adding a GT3 back to imsa

*i'm not trying to be rude , just my english is not good enough ,so maybe some of my choices (words or even grammar lol) seem bad
Ask for a refund if you feel hard done, iRacing support are very useful and will give out a refund if you bought the ferrari specifically for IMSA. The new limit is not just for a new GTE its for the whole service for future cars being added, there are huge issues around adding more cars, its not as simple as adding objects and models like it is in project cars 2.

The reason is to stop people literally parking and blocking other peoples pit boxes, surely thats obvious enough. If youre just here to take a dump on iRacing then cancel your sub and leave, we dont want that in our community, or at least make a valid point. Other than the ferrari GT3 iRacing has every car they have that fits into the series in the series.

The reason is to stop people literally parking and blocking other peoples pit boxes, surely thats obvious enough. If youre just here to take a dump on iRacing then cancel your sub and leave, we dont want that in our community, or at least make a valid point. Other than the ferrari GT3 iRacing has every car they have that fits into the series in the series.
I'm sorry if I offended your fragile feelings. No, not here to take a dump on anything, as I said I'm actually interested in iR, my posts are simply to find out if some stuff will be changed, if that offends you add me to your ignore list, thanks in advance.

I often wonder where these complaints about bad drivers in Iracing come from. Yes, if you’re in the bottom splits/rookie races the driving might not be good. So get out of them quick. If you’re taken out then report the driver if you can and if it’s protestable, though often it is a racing incident. Also…always ask yourself if you have done everything to prevent an accident: did you leave enough room etc.

Personally I have made good experiences in Iracing since I joined 2013. It’s not always perfect but if I want clean, exciting races most of the time then that’s my sim to go. Cannot report about being wrecked all the time.

However…back to topic :D
Screen_Shot_2018-06-21_at_9.02.41_AM.png

I dont have a sim to call mine, sorry, these products are just products to me. Reason why I'm looking at iR :) but some stupid stuff like car limit and lack of colision in pits is making me think twice
One of the reasons iRacing has a playerbase like it does is because you can essentially run it on a toaster. The engine can run as many cars as you want as proven by a picture the devs posted of every prototype in the game in a single grid. Unfortunately no everyone who plays iRacing has a PC powerful enough to handle that.

Ask for a refund if you feel hard done, iRacing support are very useful and will give out a refund if you bought the ferrari specifically for IMSA. The new limit is not just for a new GTE its for the whole service for future cars being added, there are huge issues around adding more cars, its not as simple as adding objects and models like it is in project cars 2.
Yes i know they are great and useful and they have helped me so much in case of technical problems and payment difficulties but in this case i have asked already and they said "no! it's too late , but we will have a new competition for this car(they meant fixed ferrari serie). "
why it was late? because at first it was available to race in imsa in that season and i was using it in imsa, it was a little before next season that they announced the porsche rsr and said they have to remove the ferrari gt3 in the next season to put porsche rsr in it instead, this is why it was late although i have asked for refund the exact date they said they want to remove it.
yes i know it's not that simple like the PC 2 but also i know they have way more time to improve it , if they make it work with an extra slot in a few month time, it's not logical to at least test one more in case of future? it's just a Honest criticism not an attack on a sim and i don't think in a civilized community it shouldn't be considered as an attack on their favorite thing and there shouldn't be any need to discrediting it or make it looks invalid.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I offended your fragile feelings. No, not here to take a dump on anything, as I said I'm actually interested in iR, my posts are simply to find out if some stuff will be changed, if that offends you add me to your ignore list, thanks in advance.

IRacing has really been making big strides with a number of big features to improve their simulation. I really do think it is a very good example of continuous Improvement with one exception, it takes a long time. I suppose because they are never starting from scratch with their software base that these implementations are actually a bit trickier compared to something like kunos putting out a completely new title. However you cut it, if you see that iRacing is focused on releasing a new feature you should know that it's coming, it will likely come out with high quality but it will also take a long time for it to release.

So if there is some feature you are dying for and it has been announced they are working on it, I would recommend waiting to subscribe until it is actually released. There have been a number of people on the forums complaining about things like AI being the reason they resubscribed and yet those things keep getting delayed. I am not sure if delayed is the accurate word because iRacing rarely says we are releasing this in the next build and then it fails to release. What happens is they mention they are working on something, then six months later they mention we're making great progress, then three months after that someone says well it's possible it could be in a build by the end of the year. At that point, everyone who is excited about that feature is expecting it by the end of the year. So when it comes out 6 or 9 months later, that is, into the next year then people are disappointed.

For those who might be on the fence and aren't up to speed with some of the key features that, LOL, may be released this year.... here is a short list: NTM v7, AI, new comprehensive damage model.

Your posts are not here to find out if stuff will be changed, I'm not offended either I just dislike people being intollerable and toxic in our community, if you are genuinly looking for this change then go on the iRacing forums and ask the devs.

Yes i know they are great and useful and they have helped me so much in case of technical problems and payment difficulties but in this case i have asked already and they said "no! it's too late , but we will have a new competition for this car(they meant fixed ferrari serie). "
why it was late? because at first it was available to race in imsa in that season and i was using it in imsa, it was a little before next season that they announced the porsche rsr and said they have to remove the ferrari gt3 in the next season to put porsche rsr in it instead, this is why it was late although i have asked for refund the exact date they said they want to remove it.
yes i know it's not that simple like the PC 2 but also i know they have way more time to improve it , if they make it work with an extra slot in a few month time, it's not logical to at least test one more in case of future? it's just a Honest criticism not an attack on a sim and i don't think in a civilized community it shouldn't be considered as an attack on their favorite thing and there shouldn't be any need to discrediting it or make it looks invalid.
The ferrari is in VRS GT, VRS Endurance and Ferrari Challenge so theres still plenty for that car if you really want to race it but it being removed from IMSA is a bit rubbish, though I do understand the reasoning behind it. Yeah I agree the more slots the better to an extent, however after speaking to devs and testers I know how difficult it is to keep the sim playable for people with less powerful PCs and to make the addition of an extra slot.

One of the reasons iRacing has a playerbase like it does is because you can essentially run it on a toaster. The engine can run as many cars as you want as proven by a picture the devs posted of every prototype in the game in a single grid. Unfortunately no everyone who plays iRacing has a PC powerful enough to handle that.

Strange that GPL could run 7 different cars way back in 1998 and ISIMotor2 sims had no specific limit in 2005. Somehow our Pentiums and Athlons coped.

I doubt we'll see GT4 come to iRacing, especially since GT3 is more popular and they're pretty similar overall, there's no real place for it in iRacing and it'll just lead to more clutter in whatever class it'll go to. Believe me I'd love to see something like the KTM X-Bow GT4 or the McLaren 570S GT4 in game but there's simply no place for it in iRacing at the moment.

I, for once, think GT4 would be a great addition to iRacing. If implemented as a single class category they would be able to have 7 models running M4 GT4, R8 LMS GT4, AMG GT4, Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR, Sin SR1 GT4, Mustang RTR GT4, Camaro GT4.R). Also it would be a great step before one could try GT3 and GTE races, with a very natural progression towards the upper tiers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back