Automobilista 2 | First Post Version 1 Patch Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios can never be accused of being slow out the blocks, and again the Brazilian team have been quick to address some post update issues with their first V1 release of AMS 2 - Patch 1 is now live.

Deployed quickly following yesterday's full V1 release update, the new hot fix update is a minor initial reaction to some of the key issues that have arisen since the simulation moved out of Steam Early Access status.

V1.0.0.1 Update Notes:
  • Fixed loading screen crash when joining in-progress multiplayer sessions.
  • Adjusted FFB clipping, aero & default steering ratio for Stock 2020 & corrected minor wheelbase/track width discrepancies.
  • Adjusted Ginetta G55 & G58 max FFB force to reduce clipping.
  • Bumped up SuperV8 engine output slightly to bring it closer to latest engine specs
  • Bathurst: Updated road & trackside ads textures, fixed triangulation glitch in the main road at the pitwall area.
  • Added missing Cascais loading screen.
  • Fix DRS trackside board issues at Interlagos, Kansai, Spielberg.
  • Corrected windshield water wiping animation for the Ultima GTR Road version.

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

Want help getting the best out of the simulation? Start a thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community help you out!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

We have actually been very open, if not so specific about what we are doing with AMS2, and deliberate about having focused and continuing to focus on developing the core of what we believe makes a good racing sim - the physics, the sounds, the FFB, the AI, the simulation features, and assembling a large and diverse selection of cars and tracks built to reasonably consistent standards. That is still an ongoing process but is fundamentally AMS2´s USP at this point - no other sim offers this level of diversity, with this level of production consistency, with so many core simulation features in place.

Everything else - the offline championships, the career mode, the multiplayer ranking system, the organized online structure - are gameplay features that rely on that core being solid and developed into a cohesive whole to actually become enganging features - you seem to realise yourself how that takes time, and that if that core isn´t there, all the rest is a bunch of somewhat shallow features that amount to little more than gimmicks packed into a game that doesn´t quite delivers what it aims to.

We´re very aware about what AMS2 achieves and doesn´t at this point, who is it intended for - if you are the type of sim racer that enjoys this sort of racing buffet where you can snack on pretty much any type of racing, for a fun quick race against the AI or against friends, you´ve got it already; If you want something that goes beyond that, delivering a single player campaign which brings context and another level of engagement with the content, or multiplayer features and competitions that engages the player on a competitive level, then AMS2 does not offer that - yet.

The mistake you and others seem to be making is assuming those features will never be there, or that they are required for the sim to be released - that may be the case for it to earn your purchase, but as a sim racer myself I´d have killed for something like AMS2 if I weren´t developing it myself ;) and we have just enough people that feel similarly to make the game a worthwhile release at this point.

This is where we begin - we´ll do our best to attract other subsets of sim racers from here, well aware that Rome wasn´t built in a day :)

Got me on board, this and the original Assetto is all a man (or woman) could need in life.

Hopefully RD will use this sim' for their official racing events etc... and also I'm guessing you'll be trying to tap into esport stuff in the future. Look what it's done for rfactor 2 - since lockdown even the casual market are beginning to hear about it so in my opinion AMS2 has everything to go for.

The only thing I would add is, I think you'll be sending Nordschelife in our direction in the future but it would be quite awesome to have a Brazilian/South American comparable version of that - surely in Brazil there must be some awesome driving roads - taking onboard that the Assetto modding community produce stuff like this and quite a few people love them, I think Reiza could offer something a bit extra and unique to go with the wide diversity of motorsport genres you cover already. But yep, I get it tracks is what AMS2 is about, just saying.. And, is a LAN still on the agenda. I'm not expecting an answer as you're busy guys but thought I'll ask anyway. Thanks

Last edited:
A bit curious what RD's Paul Jeffery thinks about the sim now. I remember he wasn't feeling that positive, when the Closed Beta started. Maybe a review/impressions article of sorts, when the time is right

Surprised that J. Broadbent hasn't made a video about 1.0, as he was so eager to jump the gun with Beta. Maybe he needs time to judge it, as there is lot of content. Kinda would be preferable actually, that he takes his time and puts more effort into the video this time, for a more well-rounded look. The guy has half a million subs, coverage by him has lot of influence

Surprised that J. Broadbent hasn't made a video about 1.0, as he was so eager to jump the gun with Beta. Maybe he needs time to judge it, as there is lot of content. Kinda would be preferable actually, that he takes his time and puts more effort into the video this time, for a more well-rounded look. The guy has half a million subs, coverage by him has lot of influence

Well he has spent a bit of time racing in a Codemaster game, so you'd think this might get his attention.

We have actually been very open, if not so specific about what we are doing with AMS2

Now, I was not trying to imply you weren't - if anything, one USP about AMS2 has to be how you (especially you personally) handle the user communication.

For example, I'm pretty sure that most other studios would not have reacted to my pretty speculative, somewhat provocative post above in any way, and definitely not in such a well-reasoned way.

However, specifics might be what I'm - personally - lacking at this point. Because I get what you're saying, I get that you want to perfect your base game, and I truly do think that you're not far from a flawless racing experience.

It's just ... within the last months, you have kept us eager by revealing content you're planning to add, and were very open at that front. That was always at the forefront - so, I didn't think that additional features were much of a priority (except for championship mode). There's not even a placeholder greyed-out screen for career mode, like there was for Time Trial, etc.

I did assume that things like career mode were, if anything, a distant afterthought in your plans, and nothing to put emphasis on, like in most sim games, and your sole focus was to make it what's described above - a game that's great to drive, and very versatile, but has little to offer above that.

And even though most of these concerns were put to rest by what I'll quote next, I'll still say this: Whatever customer pull you might gain from the unique variety of vehicles in your game (which I admittedly somewhat undersold in my original post), even the promise of features to come is a much stronger attractor than the promise of content.

If you want something that goes beyond that, delivering a single player campaign which brings context and another level of engagement with the content, or multiplayer features and competitions that engages the player on a competitive level, then AMS2 does not offer that - yet.

The mistake you and others seem to be making is assuming those features will never be there, or that they are required for the sim to be released - that may be the case for it to earn your purchase, but as a sim racer myself I´d have killed for something like AMS2 if I weren´t developing it myself ;) and we have just enough people that feel similarly to make the game a worthwhile release at this point.

This is where we begin - we´ll do our best to attract other subsets of sim racers from here, well aware that Rome wasn´t built in a day :)

The reverse SMS approach, I guess. These guys were always very precise about what they wanted to do, and then tended to actually do a bit less than previously promised. Project CARS 2's main flaw were the big dreams that amounted to very little because of the rough core - I do see that.

So, thanks for the clarifications above - and yet, I can't really help myself. Is there, say, a fleshed out career mode planned out somewhere in your desk you're just waiting to begin programming once the base is ready for it (which, I know, might be another several month)? Is there a list of features you'd be able to point towards and say "these will set us apart from others (even more)" you wish to add as soon as possible?

Honestly, I did feel like there wasn't, that your main focus from 1.0 onwards was adding content and polishing what's there. Still not completely sure I was wrong, but very much assured.

Last edited:
The things we have already confirmed (admitedly scattered over various Dev Updates rather than outlined in a single website as it should ideally be - something else we are working on) are full championships for the series we simulate (rather more thoroughly than the couple of samples we have in this release), and a custom championship feature similar to the Season Tool we had in AMS1, with which users will be able to assemble their own championships. The timeline for these features is 2-3 months. Once these are in place, piercing together a few career options should follow in relatively short order as we do have the content to do interesting things there.

On the multiplayer side, we are commited to offering a rating system based on the legacy system SMS originally developed for PCars2 - the schedule for this is not quite defined now as we´re evaluating anti-cheat options to better preserve the integrity of the system. We are also gearing up for various E-Sports initiatives, with the first official Brazilian E-Stock Car race having already taken place last night with several of the real series drivers.

Where the game goes from the point these features are in is a bit more open ended - we have ideas and things we could potentially do, but what comes to be will largely be driven by the user base and how well the game is actually delivering on these various fronts. The one definitive thing is that development of AMS2 will not stop or slow down any time soon :)

Once these are in place, piercing together a few career options should follow in relatively short order as we do have the content to do interesting things there.
That is very promising to hear, and an approximated time frame of 5-10 months (at least that's what I gathered from your post) is actually much sooner than I'd hoped for. So - surprise us. :) You guys have a knack for fun content, and I hope it's just as reliable when building a career mode.

Where the game goes from the point these features are in is a bit more open ended - we have ideas and things we could potentially do, but what comes to be will largely be driven by the user base and how well the game is actually delivering on these various fronts.
User base driven features are quite an interesting thing. Could be driven by what game modes are most commonly used and therefore reasonable to enhance, but could also be something like "here's a list of things we could do - vote for what you want the most".
Let's wait and see... :whistling:

The one definitive thing is that development of AMS2 will not stop or slow down any time soon :)
And isn't that an exciting prospect. Having seen the amount of things you managed to implement and accomplish within comparatively few months in the Early Access phase, I am very much excited to see where you take this, especially after the confirmation that there's much more looming on the horizon than "just" new cars and tracks and polishing.

This is also something that makes this game feel very much alive: The fact that you just know certain you will be playing an even better game in just a few weeks. I loved this feeling during EA, and I will continue to enjoy it going forward.

Sometimes racing games really do blur the lines with reality and that was the case last night. These laps against the 100% 80 aggro AI were just brilliant, the AI can and will race door to door, fight back fairly and make life generally difficult. Squabbling over 21-19 place is rarely so enjoyable. It was 10laps of pure intoxicating racing, I even had an elevated heart rate and a bit of a sweet on by the end just like 10 real quick laps at Donnington, made all the better by the sense of elevation change in VR.

The Ginetta G55 GT4 is superb in AMS2, the steering feel is informative and it's an intuitive car to drive. The car just starting to slide neutrally onto the outer kerb at Redgate (1st corner) is spot on. I still think it's these real cars that us mere mortals could drive quickly for real that AMS2 does best. The gear change sounds are visceral too, the whump of the downshifts have real weight to them. The engine noise is spot on too though there really should be a lot louder transmission whine inside the cockpit.

The AI lap times are fully comparable with the real-world G55 Supercup too. I could have done with tweaking the setup slightly as I generally had a little too much understeer, more grip than the AI in McLean's but tricky oversteer through Coppice.

Above all, for me, AMS2 delivers the feel of being on track at Donnington Park with other similarly skilled drivers.

All we need now is the integration of the music and a car radio failure and we'll be on top :p

In particular, I'm waiting for damage management and potentially the addition of safety car, which is mentioned on the Reiza forums.

If the two cohabit marvellously, it would change the race situations and it would be a giant step forward compared to most simulations.

If you're also looking for foreign voices or translations, I'm sure you can get them for free with the different gaming communities.

The things we have already confirmed (admitedly scattered over various Dev Updates rather than outlined in a single website as it should ideally be - something else we are working on) are full championships for the series we simulate (rather more thoroughly than the couple of samples we have in this release), and a custom championship feature similar to the Season Tool we had in AMS1, with which users will be able to assemble their own championships. The timeline for these features is 2-3 months. Once these are in place, piercing together a few career options should follow in relatively short order as we do have the content to do interesting things there.

On the multiplayer side, we are commited to offering a rating system based on the legacy system SMS originally developed for PCars2 - the schedule for this is not quite defined now as we´re evaluating anti-cheat options to better preserve the integrity of the system. We are also gearing up for various E-Sports initiatives, with the first official Brazilian E-Stock Car race having already taken place last night with several of the real series drivers.

Where the game goes from the point these features are in is a bit more open ended - we have ideas and things we could potentially do, but what comes to be will largely be driven by the user base and how well the game is actually delivering on these various fronts. The one definitive thing is that development of AMS2 will not stop or slow down any time soon :)
More info than we usually get when asking questions on a forum. Thanks Renato. The direction you're moving in also sounds good to me.

BTW does anyone know if we're getting the stadium trucks back in AMS2? Love those as they add a different racing experience that is really fun between the standard racing. :)

Sometimes racing games really do blur the lines with reality and that was the case last night. These laps against the 100% 80 aggro AI were just brilliant, the AI can and will race door to door, fight back fairly and make life generally difficult. Squabbling over 21-19 place is rarely so enjoyable. It was 10laps of pure intoxicating racing, I even had an elevated heart rate and a bit of a sweet on by the end just like 10 real quick laps at Donnington, made all the better by the sense of elevation change in VR.

The Ginetta G55 GT4 is superb in AMS2, the steering feel is informative and it's an intuitive car to drive. The car just starting to slide neutrally onto the outer kerb at Redgate (1st corner) is spot on. I still think it's these real cars that us mere mortals could drive quickly for real that AMS2 does best. The gear change sounds are visceral too, the whump of the downshifts have real weight to them. The engine noise is spot on too though there really should be a lot louder transmission whine inside the cockpit.

The AI lap times are fully comparable with the real-world G55 Supercup too. I could have done with tweaking the setup slightly as I generally had a little too much understeer, more grip than the AI in McLean's but tricky oversteer through Coppice.

Above all, for me, AMS2 delivers the feel of being on track at Donnington Park with other similarly skilled drivers.

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear. I have watched your video representing 'pure intoxicating racing' and I am very glad you have posted it as it clearly, objectively represents one of the current issues with AMS2. In reality your video represents cars chaining around the circuit, while once a lap, at exactly the same corner (McLeans), you attempt an overtake. I'm afraid very little else happens. You may consider this 'intoxicating', but I and many other people I'm afraid will shiver at your glowing description of a tour de force experience.

In reality the AI tend to be, regrettably, as dull as dishwater. There is intermittent pleasure in racing them but its hardly compelling and having briefly rebooted PC2 I can confirm they are less dynamic and in many ways have gone backwards. Further, should anyone wish to check the lap times having completed a race, you will find that up to 15 cars are within 0.5 seconds of each other. No wonder the race experience is so stagnant. This leave player a very small window of operation against the AI and that is a problem, and further the robotic nature of consistent lines and lap times adds extra punishment to player mistakes (and we all make mistakes - particularly in a sim which has generic vehicle behaviour of wash out understeer on corner entry followed by snap oversteer on throttle application across far too much of the content irrespective of vehicle, tyre or down force). The result of this means you literally need a note book for recording AI settings circuit to circuit, series to series for a consistent experience. Worse, when it comes to racing historic F1 content, which never presented an entire field lapping within 1.2 seconds of each other let alone a top ten within 0.3, it's immersion breaking and frankly asinine.

I am sure there will be further improvements, but it serves no one to suggest that this is an killer baseline. AI don't overtake when categorically faster - have tested, caused two races to develop by being 2 seconds slower and no AI would overtake other than as the result of player error (also clearly illustrated in you video). It's arguably the worst AI of any current sim. Yes it goes round, it doesn't bump you too much (which is a blessing given contact currently contains all the kinetic energy of a moth on a trampoline), but it barely races, rarely surprises, often falls victim to the traditional faults we have all become accustom to, slow starts, group confusion at the first sign of trouble, faux grip and counter productive extreme caution/over zealousness. We've had nearly two decades of this, I was for one was hoping for something better. I realise these are difficult challenges and balances, but It desperately needs improving (in particular considering that, from my personal experience, online racing has been even worse - haven't had a genuinely enjoyable online race in two dozen attempts). The thought of jumping into the offline championship mode currently on offer for a 60 min race fills me with dread. No way. I look forward to that offering more customisation.

To be more positive and make a suggestion, as a previously posted and @Renato Simioni the game would hugely benefit from an AI editor once AI behaviours have been further developed. This would create two tangible benefits

1) giving player agency to set the AI up as benefited their user case from sprint race to full GP (see issues above). Adjustable parameters for field spread, driver names, driver traits, speed, breakdown probability etc (assuming some of the principles remain the same from the original ISI motor). Iracing is leading the field with this, and it rocks.

2) Done right it would open up a soft modding / skinning community to keep the game alive for many years. There were lots of bruising discussion surrounding mods for AMS2. Frankly I am happy to buy content, the extra work done of tracks for AMS1 was really welcome, but car mods I could take or leave. The thing that really brought AMS to life and added hours of extra play were skin packs and talent files. That resulted in a killer combination of Reiza physics but historically accurate content. It meant that historical F1 could behave thus, with some being way off the pace, and it was a joy. It would be the same in AMS2.

In the meantime, can we all take a reality check and say good work, it is a good base. Considering everything that has been happening across the globe, and especially in Brazil I am full of admiration, but there are aspects, in this case specifically in relation to the AI and the general racing experience that are nowhere near where they should be. Hopefully, not even close yet.

Last edited:
Oh dear, oh dear oh dear. I have watched your video representing 'pure intoxicating racing' and I am very glad you have posted it as it clearly, objectively represents one of the current issues with AMS2. In reality your video represents cars chaining around the circuit, while once a lap, at exactly the same corner (McLeans), you attempt an overtake. I'm afraid very little else happens. You may consider this 'intoxicating', but I and many other people I'm afraid will shiver at your glowing description of a tour de force experience.

Wow...what an aggressive and frankly over the top reply. I could easily respond in kind but there has already been enough pointless arguing in the AMS2 threads attempting to derail them. That is your view and perception, you've decided that is what the video shows when nothing could be further from the truth. Why not spew bile all over someone else enjoyment though eh, that's fun isn't it?

Identical cars, running the same lap times makes overtaking difficult. This is true in the real world too. Multiple overtakes would be totally unrealistic. I've run with the same few cars (same and different models) and drivers many many times on real tracks including Donnington Park and it's just as thrilling a test of skill as blasting past slower traffic. Learning where the car in front is slower and attempting to exploit that is part of racecraft. If you watched the recent F1 esports races for example at Interlagos the same T1 overtake was used many times, it's where overtaking was most likely, this is nothing unusual. It appears to be your perception is that running with similarly paced cars, often side by side in several corners is unrealistic.

I've tried all the current racing games vs the AI at various points, some do a reasonable job in some cars on some tracks. I tried the much-vaunted iRacing attempt at AI and that also varies wildly by car and track. If you enjoy iRacing good for you. I've already posted comments in this thread about everyone's different perceptions and increased tribalism.

There are many better ways to make your point. Maybe you can show us your video of your ideal AI in action?

Wow...what an aggressive and frankly over the top reply. I could easily respond in kind but there has already been enough pointless arguing in the AMS2 threads attempting to derail them. That is your view and perception, you've decided that is what the video shows when nothing could be further from the truth. Why not spew bile all over someone else enjoyment though eh, that's fun isn't it?

Identical cars, running the same lap times makes overtaking difficult. This is true in the real world too. Multiple overtakes would be totally unrealistic. I've run with the same few cars (same and different models) and drivers many many times on real tracks including Donnington Park and it's just as thrilling a test of skill as blasting past slower traffic. Learning where the car in front is slower and attempting to exploit that is part of racecraft. If you watched the recent F1 esports races for example at Interlagos the same T1 overtake was used many times, it's where overtaking was most likely, this is nothing unusual. It appears to be your perception is that running with similarly paced cars, often side by side in several corners is unrealistic.

I've tried all the current racing games vs the AI at various points, some do a reasonable job in some cars on some tracks. I tried the much-vaunted iRacing attempt at AI and that also varies wildly by car and track. If you enjoy iRacing good for you. I've already posted comments in this thread about everyone's different perceptions and increased tribalism.

There are many better ways to make your point. Maybe you can show us your video of your ideal AI in action?

You might benefit from re-watching the video you posted objectively. Nothing I have highlighted is untrue. FYI human vs AI from a game 20 years old ....

I have to agree with MarkR on this one. In the real world racing is a procession of cars following each other around track, with perhaps one or two areas where overtakes are attempted. Very few series involve constant overtaking. To be honest, posting a video of an F1 game showing constant overtakes shows how unrealistic that game is, because that doesn't happen in the real F1. :p

It seems you need to decide what you want, either a realistic depiction of racing, or an arcade game full of intense action. Personally, I want realism from AMS 2. That's not to say intense action is bad. That's the reason I've occasionally dipped into arcade racers and sim-cades. It's fun. But AMS 2 is a sim so I want AI that drivers realistically, not like an arcade game.

I have to agree with MarkR on this one. In the real world racing is a procession of cars following each other around track, with perhaps one or two areas where overtakes are attempted. Very few series involve constant overtaking. To be honest, posting a video of an F1 game showing constant overtakes shows how unrealistic that game is, because that doesn't happen in the real F1. :p

It seems you need to decide what you want, either a realistic depiction of racing, or an arcade game full of intense action. Personally, I want realism from AMS 2. That's not to say intense action is bad. That's the reason I've occasionally dipped into arcade racers and sim-cades. It's fun. But AMS 2 is a sim so I want AI that drivers realistically, not like an arcade game.

The constant overtakes you mock are multi lap battle with a single A1, you know, the A1 using the slipstream, you using the slipsteam. Sorry if that is too arcade for your tastes. God forbid people who buy games wanting to race should be weighed down by such tedium, if only they realised the fun was in sitting behind a vehicle lap after lap or hotlapping while salivating at the FFB. You make sure you guard that gate closely, no fun a day keeps the arcade away.

I must have been dreaming about all those times F1 cars were falsely placed on a grid vs real car pace and we had a Verstappen or Hamilton come from 17th to a podium, or conversely someone falling through the field, or outperforming their own car. Amazing people get such joy and talk about those drives for years, as opposed to starting 12th and finishing 11th. Why is fun always the first victim of a certain perception of realism?

My point is clear, cars lapping within 0.3 of each other, in every series, lap after lap. What does that simulate? Why would that define something as arcade and something as sim? Why would you want that as your only option?

PS I think you are under a misconception here, that I may crave a sim in which one comes from 19th to 1st overtaking with wilful abandon. Wrong. I simply ask for a race to be a dynamic event, as they are in real life.

Last edited:
The AI in AMS2 is still a long way short of other Sims, the "train like" procession may be a reality in some series but certainly not all, it's currently an issue in this Sim and has been since Beta - they maintain a perfect gap between each other (car/track dependant) and it's stagnant racing.

As posted a thousand times before I have full faith in Renato to get the best from the AI and they are indeed a work in progress, but as they stand in v1.0 they are far below other Sims & Reality.

The AI in AMS2 is still a long way short of other Sims, the "train like" procession may be a reality in some series but certainly not all, it's currently an issue in this Sim and has been since Beta - they maintain a perfect gap between each other (car/track dependant) and it's stagnant racing.

As posted a thousand times before I have full faith in Renato to get the best from the AI and they are indeed a work in progress, but as they stand in v1.0 they are far below other Sims & Reality.

Agreed. The point I am making, the point I have observed, along with some possible reasons why and a potential solution to giving different series some identity above and beyond the extra work Reiza will no doubt put in.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back