Automobilista 2 | First Post Version 1 Patch Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios can never be accused of being slow out the blocks, and again the Brazilian team have been quick to address some post update issues with their first V1 release of AMS 2 - Patch 1 is now live.

Deployed quickly following yesterday's full V1 release update, the new hot fix update is a minor initial reaction to some of the key issues that have arisen since the simulation moved out of Steam Early Access status.

V1.0.0.1 Update Notes:
  • Fixed loading screen crash when joining in-progress multiplayer sessions.
  • Adjusted FFB clipping, aero & default steering ratio for Stock 2020 & corrected minor wheelbase/track width discrepancies.
  • Adjusted Ginetta G55 & G58 max FFB force to reduce clipping.
  • Bumped up SuperV8 engine output slightly to bring it closer to latest engine specs
  • Bathurst: Updated road & trackside ads textures, fixed triangulation glitch in the main road at the pitwall area.
  • Added missing Cascais loading screen.
  • Fix DRS trackside board issues at Interlagos, Kansai, Spielberg.
  • Corrected windshield water wiping animation for the Ultima GTR Road version.

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

Want help getting the best out of the simulation? Start a thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community help you out!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

It seems you need to decide what you want, either a realistic depiction of racing, or an arcade game full of intense action.
Both. Things don't need to be perfectly realistic, they need to feel as if they could be. The F1 games' AI for example, does almost feel realistic. Their only flaw is their tendency to go side-by-side for an amount of time that's simply not happening in real life. They lack the ability to do one-action moves, which means to be able to pull off a move where the opponent has to concede the position immediately.

However, other than that, they are a challenge to race with, and their behaviour in relation to other cars, especially when going for a move, is excellent.

This is the main area where the current AI on AMS2 falls flat in my opinion. They are too hesitant to go for it if they are faster, and they are not able to react to late changes of direction in any proper way. PCARS2 AI was the same.

Why shouldn't there be small battle groups? These do happen, even in F1, just watch the last lap of France's 2019 race (which is otherwise infamous for its boredom). And, really, if we can improve reality a bit by making every race on the game a potential banger, is that really "worse" than mainly simulating stagnant progressions (which are very much not standard procedure, because if they were, no one would watch any races.)?

I presume that the goal is for AMS2 to have the best AI of any known racing game. That is not the case at the moment, I think we might at least agree on that, regardless of how we generally feel about their state.

In order to achieve that, areas they need to work on are:

1) Varying performances throughout races. Some AI might like high fuel more than lower fuel, some might be the other way around. Some AI are quicker in the rain, some slower, and so on. That way, the races would become less stale once the field is settled after lap 1.

2) Defending. They are pretty hesitant to go off the racing line, if at all, once the player or another AI car draws near. It does not feel like they truly fight for position.

3) Positioning. Ties into defending, but by this I mean what I already outlined above. They should be able to detect a change of line by the other player or AI driver, and react accordingly. In general, they should not be hesitant to go to the outer edges of the circuit in order to do a move. Working on this would also improve the first lap trains we're seeing at the moment.

4) Consistency. The most obvious issue. 100% AI might be two seconds slower or two seconds faster than you, depending where you race on. That's huge. A while ago, I suggested for Reiza to give us approximated lap times in order to work around this issue - so we could do a few laps, look at our lap time, and then look at the approximated AI laptime for each difficulty.
This would be, however, a workaround, so I'm not sure whether they would even consider something like this.

5) Personality. This ties into 1). One AI driver might be more prone to go for divebombs or push you off the track when he's in front. I'd say that this is the most difficult part, however - haven't really consciously noticed this in any game - and it's also the least important.

Sometimes racing games really do blur the lines with reality and that was the case last night. These laps against the 100% 80 aggro AI were just brilliant, the AI can and will race door to door, fight back fairly and make life generally difficult. Squabbling over 21-19 place is rarely so enjoyable. It was 10laps of pure intoxicating racing, I even had an elevated heart rate and a bit of a sweet on by the end just like 10 real quick laps at Donnington, made all the better by the sense of elevation change in VR.

I just gave this Combo a go with Default setup, same Settings (AI) - my thoughts;

• Race Start was a bit "after you" "no after you I insist!", no battling just a nice clean file up behind one another
  • Train Like procession on opening Laps
  • Lap 3 onwards they started battle between themselves much more which was good
  • Far too slow through a couple of corners (sorry don't now the names)
  • Too fast down the Hill (Esses)
  • No pressure from other AI behind me, they seemed to keep a set distance and were afraid to even attempt an overtake
  • Had a decent battle with 1 AI but drop off from him was far too much when I passed
  • Overall; Fairly decent experience (far from "Brilliant" IMO), that Race on a scale from 1-10 I'll give it a 5.
So from that there's obvious issues but fun to be had, the AI have come a long way since the first Beta there's no denying that - but as it currently stands I can have a much better experience in other Sims with similar powered cars so therefore - IMO - there's still a long way to go, as earlier though I'm looking forward to what comes along :)

Ok, I was not "mocking" anything. I was stating my opinion. I did not insult you or suggest anything negative about you. Since you seem to be intent on turning this simple discussion into a petty argument with anyone who does not share your personal views, I'm done with it.

Some people... :rolleyes:

I didn't take you to be personally insulting to me haha. I simply responded to your assertion that overtaking or lack of = arcade or sim which I believe to be false. Every racing discipline I've ever watched has it's own identity, some very little overtaking as you correctly state, others lots more. All prone to dynamic extremes with that character. AMS2 has regrettably little overtaking across all disciplines, and no dynamic extremes as of V1.0. I can't conclude it has that part of the simulation (the racing) currently correct.

AMS2 ride-along with the AI in a multiclass race between the fast P1, F3, GT4 and Copa Uno to give a decent spread of lap times and speed. These are always fun videos to make and this was no different, it's great to see what the AI (100% ability 80 aggression) get up to on their own! I haven't made one of these for a while since the AC AI first learned to overtake I think.

0:00 F3 on lap 2

1.12 F3 overtaking Copa Uno cars through the Craner Curves

1.40 Ginetta G55 GT4 making its way through traffic. A couple of interesting points to note. At around 1.50 I wondered why the GT4 hesitated to overtake the Copa Uno in front, it seems the AI cars have good awareness of faster cars with higher closing speeds because a P1 appears just a couple of seconds later. The GT4 then makes its overtake. The same happens at 2.15ish.

2.54 in the P1 AI car for some serious closing speeds and overtakes.

3.34 back in the F3 car to the end of the race.

It's certainly not perfect and there were some bumps in the early laps but overall, the AI does a great job of cutting their way through the field.

Footage captured in Oculus VR, in case you wonder how I can look in mirrors etc.

Hi guys, so far so pleased with ASM2, feels pretty good and runs very smooth. But, since the update, I have this one issue: on Bathurst, no matter which settings (cars, time, weather etc.) I choose, there is this strange gfx bug I noticed: randomly appearing blue lines on street's textures. I add some screens to visualize it to you guys, these "lines" are all over the place on Bathurst. They're not to be seen on any other track. Any ideas or is it just related to the wip status of the track!?
Some system specs of mine: Nvidia GTX 1070Ti 8GB (recent driver), gfx and performance settings nearly maxed out - again, perfectly smooth in G-Sync compatible mode.

IMG_20200703_182118.jpgIMG_20200703_182138.jpg

I'm loving AMS2 so far. It doesn't seem finished, granted, maybe 70% of the way there, but the basics are really solid. Reiza are always really great at listening to their customers, so I'm hoping they can iron out a lot of stuff really easily.

There's huge variation in quality among tracks and cars. Some of the cars look worse than rfactor, but some look amazing. Likewise the tracks. Some consistency would be appreciated.

I prefer it over AMS1, graphics matter to me a lot. Ibarra at dawn is almost photorealistic, it is breathtakingly good.

I am so impressed with it so far, and this is my second time buying it. I got a beta version refunded. I am so glad I gave it another go. The racing experience is the best out there.

You might benefit from re-watching the video you posted objectively. Nothing I have highlighted is untrue. FYI human vs AI from a game 20 years old ....

You believe you were objective, that truly is hilarious. All you are stating is that your perspective on what is realistic is so very different from mine.

As for the old F1 game running a mod and unknown settings I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make? You want the first and second place cars to switch positions multiple times? Then it's racing? Doesn't happen that often in the real world though does it? Not even at Le Mans with the huge straights. We saw in the recent F1 esports events that the F1 cars could easily make repeated overtakes using tow effect, (plus these days ERS and DRS of course). F1 2020 is out in a few days and it looks fabulous, I'll certainly see if the latest AI can play like that.

I prefer the AMS approach where identical cars have even performance. The tow effect is there. I catch and am able to get alongside the AI several times with the tow, but it isn't enough to make the move stick, you seem to have objectively missed that.

You've reminded me of a great day out I had a few years back in my S2000 on track, about the same vintage as your F1 video too. Just 240 bhp in the Honda vs the 240+ in the supercharged Clio RS. Not a single overtake in it other than blasting past slower traffic. Looking back with your "no overtakes mean it's boring objectivity" I have no idea how I stayed awake at the wheel.

You clearly want a very different game to me and that is fine, there has never been more choice. What I don't understand is why you felt the need to make your aggressive comments toward me - as far as I know, we've never met or even interacted before on here. By all means, share your view 'objectively' about the game, not much point in attacking another person who shares the same hobby and can do absolutely nothing to help you though is there?

Has anyone seen mention of any external telemetry solutions being confirmed to work with the v1.0 release? If so, could you kindly state which one if you happen to know or remember? I intentionally held off trying anything for telemetry during EA just in case something in the release version changed.

Unrelated Comment:
I haven’t exactly scoured threads on the release version in extreme detail. However, it occurred to me this morning that I don’t think I’ve seen a single comment on the 1.0 release complaining about the brakes. Quite a change from where we were during the first 2/3 or so of the EA period.

I give you an example from a game, along with NR2003 widely considered to have had the best AI ever, you don't like it. Fine, but we can't set the bar at only things in your knowledge bracket. And I am not making the case for sims being an overtaking fest, simply that they shouldn't be devoid of overtaking and those that are are inevitably less enjoyable. And that's part of a bigger conversation about relative AI speeds, which AMS2 has wrong as I go on to illustrate.

I prefer the AMS approach where identical cars have even performance. The tow effect is there. I catch and am able to get alongside the AI several times with the tow, but it isn't enough to make the move stick, you seem to have objectively missed that.

I too enjoy a race where I may not overtake anyone. However the vast majority of overtakes attempted in your video are the result of getting a better exit at McLeans (the AI being weak there compared to the rest of the lap) leading to Coppice. Please don't delude yourself those examples have anything to do with tow on the shortest straight on the circuit.

Anyway, try not to personalise my comments, sorry if you felt it was an attack upon you, they were not, so apologies if you were upset. You were simply the given example of what I believe needs improving and an expression of how disheartened I feel when people think what has currently been offered is good enough. Exhilarating is, for the individual, of course subjective. I've had some exhilarating moments in AMS2. The observation that Historic F1 cars have never, in any race grid from 1979 to 1999 and many years either side qualified and lapped within 1.2 seconds of each other is an objective fact.

If you want a simulation you might start at the point of what you are trying to simulate rather than how you would prefer to drive it.

Yea...the first couple of laps since a long time. The Ginetta is lot of fun, like it. The title definitely needs more GT4 stuff :D.
Looking forward at the point, reiza can break these max of 4 classes for more more diversity on track ;)

Quoting Renato:

Automobilista 2 V1.0.0.2 is now up - this is the second of three scheduled complementary updates to hotfix minor issues & add remaining assets complementing content added in the V1 release.

Please note the HUD updates will reset previous customizations.

V1.0.0.2 Changelog:

• Updated opening splash screens & main menu background
  • Added interface toggle & updated "Back" button in monitor screen
  • Updated position/lap counter HUD widget
  • Set display current lap instead of completed laps in position widget
  • Reduced number of positions displayed in overall standings hud widget
  • Added relative positions HUD widget
  • Tweaked default positions for HUD elements
  • Updated StockCar 2020 cockpits & wiper / windshield animations for both Cruze & Corolla
  • Updated wiper mask & animation , SuperV8, Sprintrace, Sigma P1
  • Added wiper & windshield animations for Fusca (all variants)
  • Added new liveries for GX390 Kart
  • Updated liveries forSigma P1, AJR Judd, Ginetta G58, F-ultimate
  • Reduced max AI strentgh grip multiplier to reduce issues with AI misbehavior @ 120% setting
  • Minor increase of AI peak mid corner grip in modern-slick shod cars
  • Reduced F-Retro aero yaw sensitivity (all models)
  • Bathurst: added dynamic brake markers; added fences / armcos / other tweaks to barriers around the track; corrected wall height on the hill; added hotel building (still WIP), club house, farm buildings and some other buildings; Added powerlines (still WIP) Fixed a hole in the terrain in the Chase corner
  • Velocitta: Fixed player DQ when leaving pits
  • Spielberg: Recalibrated DRS and braker marker sign spacing/distance and reset pivots on dynamic brake markers.
  • Interlagos: Removed static DRS signs
  • SuperV8 sound updated with Rev Limiter, pitlimiter and pitlimiter trigger sounds
  • Ginetta G55: external sound update.
  • FClassic G3M1: Updated engine positional audio

Remine's me of a idiom... 'One Racer's trash is another Racer's treasure'.

:D The passenger in the Omex Westfield sums up my response to your comment! I hope you were referring to the S2000 too, every nut and bolt on the original suspension was seized when we replaced it for a track set. Honda really did cut some corners but then VTEC just kicked in and...yo, 8000 rpm in a road car...woo! (Never mind the massive gaps in the power band though eh!)

The S2000 was a fun hill climb and track day car with a few upgrades and, aside from tyres and brake pads, discs and fluid it never needed so much as a bulb replaced

Omex S2000.jpg

Anyway it's all an aside I know but AMS2 does a good job of recreating the real track fun so far, of course, it could always be improved but I'm more a jar half full sort of person! It's good enough and it'll get better I'm sure.

The passenger in the Omex Westfield sums up my response to your comment! I hope you were referring to the S2000 too, every nut and bolt on the original suspension was seized when we replaced it for a track set. Honda really did cut some corners but then VTEC just kicked in and...yo, 8000 rpm in a road car...woo! (Never mind the massive gaps in the power band though eh!)
Oh no not at all,...it was referring to all the heated conversation posts before. :) when your glowing review was commented on by someone else.... I to will have different opinions in what I expect a Sim to feel / look / sound like to everyone else but at this present moment I personally am more than happy in this first step Reiza has taken with their v1.0 release as I know from experience with Reiza's other titles, they will excel in the end, it just takes time ;):)

V1.0.0.2 Changelog:
  • Reduced F-Retro aero yaw sensitivity (all models)
Ah ha! I was having a heck of a time losing the back end at a couple of high speed places at Historic Spielberg. I thought maybe I just needed to play with the wing settings but I was hesitant to do so because I was more or less on pace with the AI. Good to know maybe it wasn’t just me.

Oh no not at all,...it was referring to all the heated conversation posts before. :) when your glowing review was commented on by someone else.... I to will have different opinions in what I expect a Sim to feel / look / sound like to everyone else but at this present moment I personally am more than happy in this first step Reiza has taken with their v1.0 release as I know from experience with Reiza's other titles, they will excel in the end, it just takes time ;):)

Cheers M D! Sorry my attempt at humour was a bit lost there, you got it spot on. The standard S2000 was a bit of a nightmare so I really did hope you meant that too! I agree AMS2 will excel in time and I see a lot of good in it already!

Anyway, try not to personalise my comments, sorry if you felt it was an attack upon you, they were not, so apologies . You were simply the given example of what I believe needs improving and an expression of how disheartened I feel when people think what has currently been offered is good enough.

Fair enough and thank you for the apology, that is decent of you. Wanting more is, of course, your choice. I hope you find the game/sim that delivers what you are looking for.

Has anyone seen mention of any external telemetry solutions being confirmed to work with the v1.0 release? If so, could you kindly state which one if you happen to know or remember? I intentionally held off trying anything for telemetry during EA just in case something in the release version changed.

Unrelated Comment:
I haven’t exactly scoured threads on the release version in extreme detail. However, it occurred to me this morning that I don’t think I’ve seen a single comment on the 1.0 release complaining about the brakes. Quite a change from where we were during the first 2/3 or so of the EA period.

https://www.racingsimtools.com/ does (where's my affiliate fee!;-).
It's a nice UI and feedback, but they really need to add the default car setups into it to make it more useable. You can still use it without inputting all the setup info, but won't be as accurate.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back