AMS 2 Interview: Submit Your Questions Here!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS 2 Interview Questions.jpg

Use this thread to submit questions you would like me to put to Reiza Studios Renato Simioni in our upcoming Automobilista 2 interview.

The big news of the week has to be the announcement that Automobilista 2 is heading to our PC's this coming December, and with such a hotly anticipated title as this, and with so little known about it at this stage, we think it only right that we sit down with the man behind the software and have a chat.

In order to ensure we cover as wide of a range of topics as possible, I would like to extend to you all the opportunity to use the comments section of this thread to pitch any questions you would like me to put to Renato when we meet later this weekend.

Please, don't use this as an opportunity to ask "is car x coming to the sim" as firstly, that's a dull question, and secondly I'm sure that plenty of the content questions are unanswerable at this time - either due to licencing issues, or because Reiza want to save some of the announcement goodness for the build up to release in December.

So please, do use this as an opportunity to have your voice heard, and think wisely about the type of things you want to find out about this new project.

Without further ramblings from me, drop your questions in the comments section below!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I wonder who approached who ?)

Good question. I'd love to know this too.

i.e was SMS struggling with project cars pro/3 physics and enticed Rieza with use of their madness engine or did Rieza approach SMS ... that just leaves biggest question of all can reiza implement their tried and tested physics into madness engine/LT3.0 or do they have to perform black magic if physics are heavily tied into madness engine/LT3.0? either way rieza worked wonders with old gmotor so maybe they will help SMS moving forward ? win win (hype train)

If Reiza retain their existing physics as was the plan with Reiza17 then this will be of little help to SMS who started developing ISIMotor2 physics way back in 2003. If Reiza adopt the Madness engine physics then indeed an extra team working on developing it could indeed assist SMS on future products. But Reiza have expressed a preference for their "older" rF1 type tyre physics over more "modern" physical tyre models such as those used in rF2 and PC2, so I suspect they will stick with what they know.

Last edited:
I'd imagine SMS approached Reiza and this offer was done because of the Mad Box project, remember that one would offer SMS engine for developers to use (now that makes me wonder if their engine is capable of doing more than simracing). I thought about this possibility a day before this announcement but then I said myself "nah... that would be too ridiculous" lol

Good question. I'd love to know this too.

If Reiza retain their existing physics as was the plan with Reiza17 then this will be of little help to SMS who started developing ISIMotor2 physics way back in 2003. If Reiza adopt the Madness engine physics then indeed an extra team working on developing it could indeed assist SMS on future products. But Reiza have expressed a preference for their "older" rF1 type tyre physics over more "modern" physical tyre models such as those used in rF2 and PC2, so I suspect they will stick with what they know.

It sure sounds like they will be using Madness Engine plain and simple. The old tire model spreadsheets are gone.

We'll find out soon enough what the engine can produce because we have cars and tracks that will cross all three titles (AMS, PC 2 and AMS 2). You can already compare AMS with PC 2 to a limted extent.

I just hope there is an EA or beta so we can find out before an official release.

Posted this in the announcement thread by mistake. Apologies for the repeat.:redface:

I always considered Game Stock Car, whilst very good, just a very professionally done paid mod for rfactor. AMS on the other hand, pushed RF into new territory. It had enough upgrades in every area to be considered a brand new version of the game. In that context, how will I see AMS2?

Only one question:
Lots of confusion here, where people think the MADNESS engine and PCars 2 are one in the same; that every future game (AMS2) is subject to the quirks, features (or lack thereof) and "openness" (use of mods) of the first game (PC2) that uses a particular engine (MADNESS engine). Can you explain briefly what is the difference between a game and a game engine and what that means for actual game design and features? :)

1) Will AMS2 have a better after-sale service? The bad support for AMS1 made me refund AMS1 on Steam.
2) Do all AMS1 content will be on AMS2?
3) Is Reiza planning a console release of AMS2, since they are now using an already ported engine?

The Modding question is important as AMS is so locked up, I gave up trying to figure how to code the goodies they added to the gMotor engine.
So the modding question comes down to their contract with SMS... available or all locked up.

But my personal question is "What is their intended market?"
Simers like AMS or gamers like NFS... or PC2 for that matter.

The Modding question is important as AMS is so locked up, I gave up trying to figure how to code the goodies they added to the gMotor engine.
Are you serious? The Camaro files are open and they have everything Reiza added, if you need more examples you could look the CART mod (I'm not even a modder and I managed to add the gearbox stuff to the EEC GT3 mod lol), Patrick tracks have everything Reiza added regarding tracks, and the modding overall is the same as rFactor. Nothing was hidden about modding in AMS, they simply couldn't make if official but they went for a smart way to let us use their updates

Guys it is very simple...
Reiza received a proposal from SMS about the new engine for AMS2, Reiza was looking around for an engine capable but at the same time similar to rF one in order to port their models easily and SMS jumped in. Madness engine is a good option since it share the rF engine DNA and Reiza with SMS help can easily work on it.
So we are going to see Madness engine + Reiza work on it (adding features, fine tuning it, etc).
Reiza content can only benefit of SETA model and Live Track 3 and we will have VR and weather as bonus too.
Modding support would be great but I am expecting a lot of DLCs too (please add IMSA calendar and cars DLC and I will pay it at full price) so...until there is content incoming I can wait for modding tools or hacks...
Said that we know Reiza will give it's best and same for SMS since it is a way to promote their engine (unused since PC2 release) and benefit of Reiza work too...

• Deleted member 909406

Will the game be released on consoles (Xbox, PS4)?
If this is planned, will the graphic for the PC be downgrade?

My questions:

1./ Would you be open to adding more of the debug functionality of the MADNESS engine -- which is currently confined to debug builds as I understand it -- into the release builds of the finished game, such as (but not necessarily limited to):

- Physics tick and Frame time numbers (to check whether physics ticks are within range for the tyre model resolution chosen or if the tyre model resolution is to high for the track/car/number of AI cars chosen)
- Live Track 3.0 visualisation tools to help the community pointpoint bugs/issues at certain tracks
- SETA real-time tyre contact patch graphics, including ALL temperatures in the various layers plus load in Newtons per wheel
- Rolling road and/or completely straight & unlimited length track with adjustable wind speed/direction, temperature, altitude, weather and track surface via sliders and showing the variables live in a dedicated UI
- The ability to have a testing mode where the user can adjust aero on the fly when driving to the benefit of tuning/development (think of it as applying aerospace engineering tools to car development essentially)
- Gearing graphs and live engine model numbers such as torque, power, turbo rpm, manifold pressure
- Visualisation of the suspension kinematics by effectively applying a shader that makes the car transparent and only shows the tyres and the suspension links plus the static and dynamic center of gravity?
- FFB debug mode that shows how the input signal is modified by the FFB parameters into the output signal, possibly utilising a sort of equalizer tool + different visualisation plugins.

2./ Would you be open to adding the ability to record all of the above for replay and analysis?

3./ If you can't export the above mentioned functionality directly in the UI, would you be open to exporting it either via shared memory or over the UDP facility?

4./ Do you see a future for the above tools in relation to opening up the MADNESS engine to other vehicle dynamics domain experts given the qualities this would represent? I'm specifically thinking about modders (hobbyists), engineering students, and perhaps even proper race car constructors?

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Forum trophies