Amazing: Ilja's lights shader mod now has your car reflections in mirrors

Apologies for the badly-worded thread title. I'm a little excited!
This is simply incredible in VR. Immersion goes off the scale.

Download the review51 version of Ilja's light patch
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...0168374293/lights-patch-v0.1.23-preview51.zip
(drag the zip file into CM)

In:
steam/steamapps/common/assettocorsa/extension/config/smart_mirror.ini
paste the following and save:
[REAL_MIRRORS]
ENABLED=1
SHOW_CAR=1

And you now will have the inside of the car and the rear window showing in your rear-view mirror, and the sides of the car showing in your wing mirrors. And if you are playing as God intended (VR) then.... the view in the mirrors will move when you move your head.
You know when, in real car, you lean forward to check your blind spots in your wing mirrors? Yep. That's now possible. BUT YOU CAN NOW SEE YOUR CAR IN THE REFLECTION TOO.
Amazing in tip-tops, amazing in open-tops.

The app for the in-game adjustments (including individual mirror adjustment L/R/U/D and FoV) is here:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/453595062299918337/481608826269859870/AccExtMirrors.7z
(drag the zip file into CM)
(don't forget to tick it in Assetto Corsa -- Apps in CM settings)

Ilja is a bloody WARLOCK. He's starting to scare me now.

Last edited:
Me too. My 980Ti is performing admirably on high settings (I'm happy with 45/ASW) and this shader mod seems quite well optimised, but more juice is always better.

I have a 980ti and since we both rift, mind sharing your graphics settings in AC and NV control panel? Along with any mods you've done for AC visuals. I'm running the natural weather and natural rift filter from BenLee.

Using preview70, Porsche RSR at Nords using Rift VR with VR_Stereo enabled.

Rear view camera is rendering in 1 eye only and gives off an odd effect. Wing mirrors are fine.

smart_mirror.Ini. settings are:

[REAL_MIRRORS]
ENABLED=1
SHOW_CAR=1
VR_STEREO=1
RENDER_PER_FRAME=0 ; set it to 1 to make real mirrors refresh less frequent, but have practically zero FPS cost
RENDER_ONLY_VISIBLE=1 ; doesn’t work with virtual mirror at the moment

Is the camera classed as a virtual mirror, hence the problem or is it another issue?

Thanks! (Top, top work!!)

Using preview70, Porsche RSR at Nords using Rift VR with VR_Stereo enabled.

Rear view camera is rendering in 1 eye only and gives off an odd effect. Wing mirrors are fine.

smart_mirror.Ini. settings are:

[REAL_MIRRORS]
ENABLED=1
SHOW_CAR=1
VR_STEREO=1
RENDER_PER_FRAME=0 ; set it to 1 to make real mirrors refresh less frequent, but have practically zero FPS cost
RENDER_ONLY_VISIBLE=1 ; doesn’t work with virtual mirror at the moment

Is the camera classed as a virtual mirror, hence the problem or is it another issue?

Thanks! (Top, top work!!)
Yes, I screwed up the monitor mirrors while trying to optimize them (no need to render different ones for each eye). Is already fixed and will be ok in next version. Thanks for reporting!

I reeaallly love the beautiful mirrors thanks to this mod! Wow... They are better than any mirror implementation I've seen from any game so far, thumbs up! The VR_STEREO=1 is maybe even the biggest difference, making the mirrors seem absolutely stunning. I cannot drive with this off anymore...
Something I've noticed since installing this mod: the backfire flames of the AI's Lotus 49 exhaust pipes make a strange large orange glow all around the car and on the track, is this intentional? It's rather exaggerated though... Should I just shut up and enjoy it or is there something wrong in the settings?

Thanks for the mod, friendly modders!

I reeaallly love the beautiful mirrors thanks to this mod! Wow... They are better than any mirror implementation I've seen from any game so far, thumbs up! The VR_STEREO=1 is maybe even the biggest difference, making the mirrors seem absolutely stunning. I cannot drive with this off anymore...
Something I've noticed since installing this mod: the backfire flames of the AI's Lotus 49 exhaust pipes make a strange large orange glow all around the car and on the track, is this intentional? It's rather exaggerated though... Should I just shut up and enjoy it or is there something wrong in the settings?

Thanks for the mod, friendly modders!
You should definitely enjoy it but never shut up. As almost everything is adjustable I assume the backfire is as well. Not really my domain so I'd recommend heading over to the discord and ask there. Lots of friendly and helpful people who may know what parameter to tweak.

Is it just me but apart from the wonderful increase in immersion, has this mod, (VR Stereoscopic 3D enabled), cranked up the intensity levels of the actual racing to new heights?

The sight of the competition in such close proximity, looming large in those wonderful mirrors and making moves you can almost feel, certainly increased my heart rate! I'd say it's even added significantly to the defensive driving aspect of the sim and the ability to make better judgements where distance is concerned.

Absolutely chuffing epic stuff!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
It's not just you. The mirrors alone, apart from everything else in the mod, add so much that it feels completely different. I'm currently kind of pissed that I'm stuck with my gtx980 because I want to crank up the mirror quality so bad and I can't. Guess I have to get a 2080ti for xmas.

Is it just me but apart from the wonderful increase in immersion, has this mod, (VR Stereoscopic 3D enabled), cranked up the intensity levels of the actual racing to new heights?

The sight of the competition in such close proximity, looming large in those wonderful mirrors and making moves you can almost feel, certainly increased my heart rate! I'd say it's even added significantly to the defensive driving aspect of the sim and the ability to making better judgements where distance is concerned.

Absolutely chuffing epic stuff!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
LOVE emoji. *heart*

I have a 980ti and since we both rift, mind sharing your graphics settings in AC and NV control panel? Along with any mods you've done for AC visuals. I'm running the natural weather and natural rift filter from BenLee.
I don't think I've ever changed anything in Nvidia control panel and I'm still in the process of retweaking my AC settings in light of the recent shader patch releases. I recently dropped my SS from 1.5 to 1.2 and can't really tell any difference to the IQ. That should help to free up some silicone.

Have the latest shaders mod installed, headlights work although I am unable to adjust the mirrors. The mirrors app doesnt repond when clicking any of the controls
Have you enabled real_mirror in smart_mirror.ini? You need to do it with every update, we are up to review 73 now, it always is not enabled (=0) by default, don’t forget to also enable VR-stereo.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.