ACC VR - The definitive VR Performance Guide

Hi,

I have been polishing ACC for VR, made a guide to help others out.
This guide is mostly for Valve Index, Vive and other SteamVR headsets, not tested with Oculus. However, if you find good results with any Oculus headset, let me know so we can update the guide.

Guide on Web

In this guide i will explain in detail how to get the most out of Assetto Corsa Competizione in terms of VR Performance

This guide is up to date with 1.8, as i am not 100% happy with the VR performance introduced in 1.8.

There will probably be updates to this guide after some long-term testing, since i am not perfectly satisfied with the performance yet. However, this guide should be a good pointer or baseline for anyone looking to improve their performance in VR significantly.

Last Update: 2022-11-17

Sections:

Last edited:
For me "100%" global is over 3650x30.. and i dont understand where comes this calculation from.
It makes sense for the G2 to correspond to 100% of a resolution of 2160x, right? And not over 3000. I don't understand the SteamVR calculation atm. :-(

@Knut Mattheisen , i dont know either, but for some reason this also works best for me. When i set it to the 2160, i have to change the setting in SteamVR to about 50% and that is a major setback in clarity.

Btw, (also for @LynxSec ) you should definitely try out the VR Performance kit ( https://github.com/fholger/vrperfkit) instead of the 'OpenVR_FSR V2.0' if you have an nvidia card. Same developer, newer version including Fixed Foveated Rendering. This, combined with enabling Motion Reprojection (not motion smoothing) made my view perfect and steady.

ps; in that VRsettings.json file are also some lines that set the distance of your 2d overlay in your driver view.
i have mine set a bit further from my face, but you can set them to your liking

"mainMenuLayerDistance": 120,
"mainMenuLayerSize": 160,
"mainMenuLayerType": 1,
"raceMenuLayerDistance": 70,
"raceMenuLayerSize": 78,
"raceMenuLayerType": 1,
"hUDLayerDistance": 35,
"hUDLayerSize": 84,
"hUDLayerType": 1,

Hi, vrperfkit works with SteamVr (and Pimax vr)? or it's only for Oculus and WMR??
And works with Radeon Graphic card???
VRperfkit works with steamVR, not sure about pimaxvr.
check the link and the info (and the issues tab ;) )
The part described in the guide here is also implemented in the VRperfkit; the FFVR part is Nvidia only

The part described in the guide here is also implemented in the VRperfkit; the FFVR part is Nvidia only
What are your system specs, curious if this would help me.. I have a 12900K and 3090 and a G2. I am currently using the 'OpenVR_FSR V2.0 and Engine Ini.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explain... for your experience what is the best between openVR_FSR 2.1.1 and VRperfkit (and why)?

What are your system specs, curious if this would help me.. I have a 12900K and 3090 and a G2. I am currently using the 'OpenVR_FSR V2.0 and Engine Ini.

Thanks for the explain... for your experience what is the best between openVR_FSR 2.1.1 and VRperfkit (and why)?
I have a AMD 3700x, 32GB memory, RTX3080 12GB card.

Engine.ini --> i didnt use it.
OpenVR_FSR doesnt make use of the Fixed Foveated Rendering (which is only for NVidia). This is in my opinion much better than the NIS/CAS/FSR upscaling, as it lowers the resolution only for parts outside of your direct view.

Just read the link in my previous post for more info

I have gone through all the tweaks on this guide, and I can hit pretty consistent 85-90fps when running hot laps to test, but as soon as I do a quick race with cars I seem to drop from 90FPS to 45 and then it stays around there while cars are around.
I have mirrors set to low and fps set to 45 for the mirrors. I am using FPSVR to look at FPS while driving.

I am using a Reverb G2, 3080 Ti slight OC, 12700k, Win11.

Attempting to switch to DLSS or FSR doesnt really help me here. Is this sim that poorly optimized that having some AI cars on the road drops FPS by half??? Curious who else notices this exact same thing.

Edit: I found motion smoothing got accidentally turned back on in Steam.
I seem to be running almost a consistent 90FPS now. 100% resolution in SteamVR, 100% FOV, and most of the same settings used in the config from the guide.

Last edited:
Hi, I've followed the guide and now I get decent performance, but my FPS drops even though frametimes stay below 11,1ms (90hz on the Reverb G2), does anyone know what could be happening? I've attached a youtube video demonstrating the issue.

I have gone through all the tweaks on this guide, and I can hit pretty consistent 85-90fps when running hot laps to test, but as soon as I do a quick race with cars I seem to drop from 90FPS to 45 and then it stays around there while cars are around.
I have mirrors set to low and fps set to 45 for the mirrors. I am using FPSVR to look at FPS while driving.

I am using a Reverb G2, 3080 Ti slight OC, 12700k, Win11.

Attempting to switch to DLSS or FSR doesnt really help me here. Is this sim that poorly optimized that having some AI cars on the road drops FPS by half??? Curious who else notices this exact same thing.

Edit: I found motion smoothing got accidentally turned back on in Steam.
I seem to be running almost a consistent 90FPS now. 100% resolution in SteamVR, 100% FOV, and most of the same settings used in the config from the guide.
Hi,

Great that you got it working finally.

I can run the game at 120hz smooth at this point (Alot of configuring and tweaking to achieve this), and i dont have as good hardware as you.

In cases like these, where the software is extremely demanding, make sure you dont have any bloat running on the computer, completely debloat windows and make sure you are not running any uneccesarry apps etc.

After that, you could have a look at possible issues, however looks like you found that reprojection was turned on. Good for you!

Hi, I've followed the guide and now I get decent performance, but my FPS drops even though frametimes stay below 11,1ms (90hz on the Reverb G2), does anyone know what could be happening? I've attached a youtube video demonstrating the issue.
You need to post what hardware you have, looks like your ram is underclocked or that you have alot of random software running simultaneously.

Last edited:
You need to post what hardware you have, looks like your ram is underclocked or that you have alot of random software running simultaneously.
I'm running a Ryzen 9 5900x with a RTX 3080, ram is running at 3200mhz. I'm also on a very fresh install of windows with not many software installed and the windows install is on a different SSD from the rest of the software including the game.

I agree that it doesn't make sense. Normally 1000/frametime = fps.
One frame is always buffered so as long as cpu and gpu stay both below 11.1ms, you should see 90 fps.

I'd say you should Google that issue to find an explanation of why that data shows stuff that doesn't make much sense.

I'm running a Ryzen 9 5900x with a RTX 3080, ram is running at 3200mhz. I'm also on a very fresh install of windows with not many software installed and the windows install is on a different SSD from the rest of the software including the game.
Update: I installed the game on a fresh install of Windows 10 I had in dual boot just to test, and the issue does not occur. Maybe it's something related to Windows 11 or some software I have installed in that OS, even though I said it's a very fresh install I still have some background software running like PowerToys, ElevenClock, Riot's Vanguard Anti-cheat and Bitdefender, so I think I'll just roll back to Windows 10 altogether and start by downloading ACC, then downloading the rest of the software to see if something causes the issue.

Update: I installed the game on a fresh install of Windows 10 I had in dual boot just to test, and the issue does not occur. Maybe it's something related to Windows 11 or some software I have installed in that OS, even though I said it's a very fresh install I still have some background software running like PowerToys, ElevenClock, Riot's Vanguard Anti-cheat and Bitdefender, so I think I'll just roll back to Windows 10 altogether and start by downloading ACC, then downloading the rest of the software to see if something causes the issue.
Ah there you have it, dont use W11 if you are using VR. It completely destroys performance.

Also, if you can, debloat your windows installation completely. You will be mindblown by how much crap is installed and running in the background constantly.

Use PrivateZilla to remove/disable all the crap, and you will see an additional performance increase.

TLDR: Avoid W11 for VR, as it its complete **** currently.

Thats interesting. I am running Win11 as a reference and I don't seem to be having any issues with performance in any of the sims I've tried so far.

Hi,

Great that you got it working finally.

I can run the game at 120hz smooth at this point (Alot of configuring and tweaking to achieve this), and i dont have as good hardware as you.

In cases like these, where the software is extremely demanding, make sure you dont have any bloat running on the computer, completely debloat windows and make sure you are not running any uneccesarry apps etc.

After that, you could have a look at possible issues, however looks like you found that reprojection was turned on. Good for you!
Keep in mind I'm running the same or slightly higher in game resolution scale as you (too stubborn to lower it), which with a Reverb G2 is going to be quite a bit more pixels than the Index. The only thing I havent tested yet is night driving / rain. Are there heavy performance hits in the rain? I know with AMS2 rain and night modes are basically unplayable in VR, the hit is too massive.

Last edited:
I have a AMD 3700x, 32GB memory, RTX3080 12GB card.

Engine.ini --> i didnt use it.
OpenVR_FSR doesnt make use of the Fixed Foveated Rendering (which is only for NVidia). This is in my opinion much better than the NIS/CAS/FSR upscaling, as it lowers the resolution only for parts outside of your direct view.

Just read the link in my previous post for more info
FFR doesn't seem to work with ACC, at least for me. I have it enabled in the config file and when I try to toggle it on and off using the hotkey (alt + f1), there's no change in image quality or frametimes. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but toggling does nothing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back