ACC VR - The definitive VR Performance Guide

Hi,

I have been polishing ACC for VR, made a guide to help others out.
This guide is mostly for Valve Index, Vive and other SteamVR headsets, not tested with Oculus. However, if you find good results with any Oculus headset, let me know so we can update the guide.

Guide on Web

In this guide i will explain in detail how to get the most out of Assetto Corsa Competizione in terms of VR Performance

This guide is up to date with 1.8, as i am not 100% happy with the VR performance introduced in 1.8.

There will probably be updates to this guide after some long-term testing, since i am not perfectly satisfied with the performance yet. However, this guide should be a good pointer or baseline for anyone looking to improve their performance in VR significantly.

Last Update: 2022-11-17

Sections:

Last edited:
Aahh a friend of mine has the same issue with that monitor and a 3080.
It's either the gsync or hdr. Probably due to the combination with the massive resolution.

That monitor doesn't have a gsync module inside. So it's "gsync compatible" mode.
You could try to disable gsync, reboot, check for dsr.
Then disable hdr, reboot, check for dsr.
Or change to a more standard resolution like 3440x1440 or 2560x1080 if you have the 1080p model.
Thanks man, plenty of things to try and check there, really appreciate the tips from you as always. I’ll let u know how I get on.

Thank you for this guide. I had given up with ACC VR after being very disappointed with the performance on the Reverb G2 even with a 3090. I had previously tried using WMR reprojection but my eyes don't like it. It feels jerky and the cars blur around the edges, for me anyway. I tried the DLSS update too but again just found it too blurry so would raise the resolution to compensate the difference and thus negate any performance benefit to appear to be in the same place again.

Really impressed with the results of this, thank you for the effort in finding this configuration through the no doubt countless hours of testing!

I found I could raise a few settings, but not many to consistently get 90fps. With a full grid the settings applied exactly as above seems a perfect balance.

I have tested your latest update https://blog.lynxsec.se/ with the VR Performance Kit method. I am using a HP Reverb G2, GPU RX6900XT, CPU Ryzen 5800X3D and from a performance perspective the old FSR method still seems to be better for me, but maybe I have to do some more testing abd will provide more details asap. Thanks for all your effort so far - maybe with the next GPU generation we will be able to have a perfect ACC VR experience ;-)

Last edited:
I have tested your latest update https://blog.lynxsec.se/ with the VR Performance Kit method. I am using a HP Reverb G2, GPU RX6900XT, CPU Ryzen 5800X3D and from a performance perspective the old FSR method still seems to be better for me, but maybe I have to do some more testing abd will provide more details asap. Thanks for all your effort so far - maybe with the next GPU generation we will be able to have a perfect ACC VR experience ;-)
Agreed. The RTX4090 could be the Holy Grail for VR in ACC. Can't wait.

Agreed. The RTX4090 could be the Holy Grail for VR in ACC. Can't wait.
That never happens., prepare to manage your expectations. There will be improvements but never get to perfection,.
I guess when nvidia was about to release the 3090 and 3090Ti, you thought the same, "this is it!!" ;)

I thought the 3080 was going to be enough to bring ACC to VR performance levels but its a long way off in practice. Even if we double performance I imagine we can sharpen the image up a bit and hopefully not have cars floating in the air without shadows but its not going to get to the holy grail of looking genuinely good. Part of the problem is just that ACC renders a very soft image even at "100%" resolution and so you need considerable supersampling on a normal screen let alone within VR where its exacerbated so much due to the low PPD.

I have also found that a lot of the tests I was doing with AI cars or certain areas of tracks I found the game to be CPU limited not GPU, so going twice as fast is only going to expose more CPU limitations in the game and its engine. I often don't see complete utilisation of the GPU despite frame rate drops so the issue goes beyond just chucking more GPU performance at the problem. Whatever is wrong with the VR implementation that makes it so much worse than the screen experience is going to persist through another GPU generation and likely until we get another game out of Kunos, its not going to ever be a great VR experience based on what I have seen. I think more GPU performance will likely just expose the problems more.

That never happens., prepare to manage your expectations. There will be improvements but never get to perfection,.
I guess when nvidia was about to release the 3090 and 3090Ti, you thought the same, "this is it!!" ;)
I didn't even look. I upgrade every other generation. This will be the first time I don't go Ti since before the 780, but don't want to wait another year for the 4090Ti.

Spent another hour in ACC/SteamVR last night tweaking settings for my 2080Ti and I know what I need. 100% resolution and DLSS at Balanced for now. Most settings on High in ACC and I manage to hang around 50fps which gives me some breathing room above the 45fps that I get with SteamVR's Motion Smoothing. Problem is that even though everything in ACC looks real good, I still get ghosting off in the distance. Not sure if this is due to DLSS or Motion Smoothing. I would love to turn both of those off and maintain 90fps. RTX 4090 with a new Corsair build around it and my hopes are high, I must admit. But I know I need to manage my expectations. Come on, Nvidia. Bring it. First it was Mid-July, now the insiders are saying October. Ugh. Pretty cars and ghosting it is. For now.

[EDIT]Found this here and decided to do some calculations. Added my RTX 2080 Ti into the mix. So, on my box 37fps per eye today *should* equal 90+fps per eye on the RTX 4090. I sacrificed my head tonight to run my frame rate down to 37fps in ACC without Motion Smoothing or DLSS and I must say I'm pretty psyched to get this card. I got most of my Video settings up to High and some at Epic. Yeah, I'm setting myself up. I know...

Attachments

• 4090.jpg
    4090.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Hi,

This guide is mostly for Valve Index, Vive and other SteamVR headsets, not tested with Oculus. However, if you find good results with any Oculus headset, let me know so we can update the guide.

Guide on Web
Awesome lead regarding the VR Performance Toolkit. Thanks! This changed ACC for me and my 2080Ti. I am now able to maintain 60+ fps with lots of eye candy turned on and no Motion Smoothing or DLSS. Ghosting is gone. This will keep me happy until I can get my hands on a 4090. Hopefully by the end of the year.

Last edited:
The OpenXR mod for ACC is moving ACC's VR experience to top of the list for me. 3090 / HP Reverb G2.

I posted my settings to ACC forum:
Hi. I've recently been using open xr on acc with surprisingly good results. However this evening it gives me an error which I'll post below. All other sims working fine on openxr just acc the problem. I've changed nothing but I noticed an update was auto done on steam vr. Have you had this issue before? Regards Tony

Attachments

• 8C2B6990-A299-480A-8411-BB91E9709FA0.jpeg
    8C2B6990-A299-480A-8411-BB91E9709FA0.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 107
Hi. I've recently been using open xr on acc with surprisingly good results. However this evening it gives me an error which I'll post below. All other sims working fine on openxr just acc the problem. I've changed nothing but I noticed an update was auto done on steam vr. Have you had this issue before? Regards Tony
Hi, same issue here.

It started happening yesterday right after updating OpenXR Developer tools.
I tried different configurations and found that issue only reproduces when Motion Retroprojection is disabled.

openxr_ui.jpg
The downside of using retroprojection, is a downgrade in terms of performance and visuals that in my opinion makes ACC unenjoyable. :-(

Hi, same issue here.

I tried different configurations and found that issue only reproduces when Motion Retroprojection is disabled.

View attachment 597707The downside of using retroprojection, is a downgrade in terms of performance and visuals that in my opinion makes ACC unenjoyable. :-(
Untick "Use latest preview OpenXR runtime" fixed it for me

Hi!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, youre a legend mate!
Just a stupid question... i have followed all steps of your guide, but how do i start the game now?

In steam i can choose using steam VR (which we dont want) or oculus mode (i dont have an oculus), i tried opening the game from the installation folder but that launches the game on my pc screen...

Thanks again!

Hi!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, youre a legend mate!
Just a stupid question... i have followed all steps of your guide, but how do i start the game now?

In steam i can choose using steam VR (which we dont want) or oculus mode (i dont have an oculus), i tried opening the game from the installation folder but that launches the game on my pc screen...

Thanks again!
Ok, for some reason it wasn't starting using steamvr option but now it does.. but the game crashes regularly with a fatal error and sometimes refuses to start up, after i reboot my pc it runs again.. @LynxSec am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Hi, same issue here.

View attachment 597707The downside of using retroprojection, is a downgrade in terms of performance and visuals that in my opinion makes ACC unenjoyable. :-(
Where did you find this program? i didnt read anything about this tool in the guide??

Hi,

Guide on Web

In this guide i will explain in detail how to get the most out of Assetto Corsa Competizione in terms of VR Performance.
In the end, you will find a downloadable pack with all the configs and readme's.

Last Update: 2021-12-20

Changes:​

[2021-12-20]
- Updated SteamVR resolution baseline
- Updated ingame graphics settings and uploaded a new config
- Updated the json graphics config preset

[2021-12-07]
- Corrected some links

[2021-12-06]
- Updated the sections

[2021-12-05]
- Changed Engine.ini to optional as it does not seem to be requiered for good performance
- Fixed some typos

Sections:
  • Introduction
  • Before You Get Started
  • Check Your Hardware
  • Expectations
  • SteamVR Settings
  • Nvidia Control Panel Settings (Same should apply to AMD's control panel)
  • Stop the game from double-rendering the game
  • Engine.ini
  • OpenVR_FSR V2.0
  • Ingame Graphics Settings
  • Video of improved performance
  • Summary
Hi! The link of the guide seems its not working. Could you please check it?

Thanks!

I recently installed OpenComposite with the intent of bypassing SteamVR. It needs OpenXr to be installed as well for making adjustments but the game seems to running far smoother with a higher fidelity and I don't have to deal with SteamVR running in the background, applying its own settings and generally being a pain in the arse.

Game changer for me.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back