ACC: First Preview of Paul Ricard Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Paul Ricard.jpg

Marco Massarutto has teased a first image of a soaking wet Paul Ricard circuit in Assetto Corsa Competizione - demonstrating a frighteningly lifelike looking image.

Now let us all be honest here, Paul Ricard in its modern configuration isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea when it comes to racing circuits of choice, the once legendary track having had something of a makeover in recent years to become instantly recognisable from the TV screen, but practically impossible to tell where one is driving when out on the circuit.

Thanks to the wonders of modern asphalt technology, the Paul Ricard High Tech Test Track is something rather unique in the racing world - but man is it difficult to pick out where those corners are!

Coming very soon as part of the Steam Early Access release programme for Assetto Corsa Competizione, Kunos Simulazioni own Marco Massarutto couldn't help but spread some of the excitement by pushing out an early preview of the track under wet conditions - an image that really does showcase what is an incredible graphics engine in play with this already very impressive feeling racing simulation.

So there you go folks - Paul Ricard is ACC first look. Looks pretty good doesn't it? - even if the track is awful!

Don't forget to check our review article and video, found HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Excited for Paul Ricard coming to ACC? Enjoying the title so far? Let us know below!

• Deleted member 241736

guys above, we all love simracing but we shouldn‘t be so emotional. Held your heads high and pray that ACC will turn into a play- and enjoyable GAME. At the moment I can telll u no good things cause I delete the EA from my SD :p

From my perspective as a tail-ender in the RD stakes I think the game is looking great and driving better than AC. Don't have VR or triple screens so this is a non-issue for me. I like the idea of the ratings system and it has made me think more about "slow in, fast out", so while it maybe a non-feature for the front of the field I think it could help less experienced punters.
Cannot understand the super critics at this early stage. Reminds me of the old fable, "The Princess and the Pea!" A bit too spoilt by half!
Looking forward to seeing what the devs deliver going forward.

I am starting to hear from different corners the unpleasant news that acc will not be supported for triple screen users. Is this true?! Why?!?

There is no native support for triples in UE4, I would not expect support for it in EA. There are some workarounds (borderless multiview port) but right now we have to wait and see.

I'm exited about ACC as it seems to have great potential but I'll wait for now, "No triples - No Buy" :D

EA, best excuse for this crap at the moment. I really regret spending my bucks to this. Most controllers doesn‘t work proper and hardware challenges are out of space. IMHO Kunos is a nvidia marketing store (hope temporary). I‘m on i7 and 1060/6gb
i7-4790K 16GB, GeForce GTX 980 here, so not the best combo, but very good to me, to play ACC.
I run the full 20 cars grid and it's fine to me, both graphically and with fps.
And also consider that the optimization it's always done towards the end of the development!
All the missing stuff in the menus will come with time since the game is still under development.

You saved money purchasing the game early, which is not bad at all!
You can give Kunos more constructive feedback than this comment of yours, to help them making the sim better, if you think it's so utterly bad (which is not), and to help you solving your issues.
Writing angry never helps finding solutions to your problems.
Issues are part of the software development, even more if you are an owner of an Early Access game. Therefore be active in the community forums and be patient. You will see your issues solved, sooner or later.

Believe me, you put your money on the right horse and you will see that in the near future

I only have an i5-3350P and a GTX650Ti Boost, which is close to the minimum requirements and it runs fine if you turn everything down to mid-low (the game does look a bit potato on low graphics, I think AC looks better on low). Even with AI I still got ~50 fps, the weird thing is that in the menu it was only 22 fps.
Setting up the FFB the way I like took less than 5 minutes, and it recognised both of my wheels (I use a secondary wheel for the clutch pedal)

Speaking of Paul Ricard, I kinda like it. I haven't tried the full track, but we did some events there with GT3 and Audi TT Cup in the WTCC layout. Those decreasing radius turns are quite tricky.

There is no native support for triples in UE4, I would not expect support for it in EA. There are some workarounds (borderless multiview port) but right now we have to wait and see.

I'm exited about ACC as it seems to have great potential but I'll wait for now, "No triples - No Buy" :D
I already bought it. But like others said you have bet on the right horse. I really hope so. It was very disturbing to hear it was not implemented, certainly if you see how good setting up triples is in ac. Bloody brilliant. If it would not be implemented. I would consider it as a serious step backwards even though they made lots of other improvements.

I can make a pretty similar "realistic" screenshot of any car or track in any title I have. I'll just crank up the graphics to Epic. Ultra or Max... or Whatever. Question is will I be able to drive with FPS looking like a slide show? Realistic graphics is anything but new. Just a question of how much you can put out on a GPU.

I actually stopped playing ACC not because I hate it or I am salty that I can't afford a new GPU. It's just that older titles like RF2, AC1 etc are optimized well to run even on a potato. I know... yeah yeah... EA.

I'll jump back when everything is complete. For now, I can run it with low-medium graphics but it's really not enjoyable ATM. Don't bash me, It's my GPU or could be Kunos themselves. IDK. I mean Fortnite is also using unreal engine, and it runs as good as CSGO on my PC. But not ACC.

My E3 1230v3+GTX970 allows me to run ACC at usable framerate with 1x resolution and most things turned off. If I turn on rain effects everything just lags. It looks worse than AC for me, and I have only used hotlap mode. I am saving my salary and wait for this holiday season to upgrade my PC to (maybe) have something closer to those fancy screenshot looks. For now I am sticking to AC.

The track is horrid but if it's in the real series they must model. I'd like to know what's the magic in those screen shots where they get rid of the horrible blurred image due temporal antialiasing and from jagged lines from regular FXAA. I can't reproduce that sharp image in my system whatever I set

Regardless, is there any way to turn off the steering wheel? Not nice to see two of them, a real one and a virtual one overlay

• Deleted member 241736

The track is horrid but if it's in the real series they must model. I'd like to know what's the magic in those screen shots where they get rid of the horrible blurred image due temporal antialiasing and from jagged lines from regular FXAA. I can't reproduce that sharp image in my system whatever I set

clarification:
photorealistic ingame screenshots without AA or/and blury lines seems to be easy to do. Check Iljas‘ custom shader patch 1.24 in AC, press F8 you got it.

So fun to follow Iljas EA custom shader patch ... In every new version there are huge improvements. In every new versions EA ACC there‘re tiny or 0 improvements for the simcrowd

I can make a pretty similar "realistic" screenshot of any car or track in any title I have. I'll just crank up the graphics to Epic. Ultra or Max... or Whatever. Question is will I be able to drive with FPS looking like a slide show? Realistic graphics is anything but new. Just a question of how much you can put out on a GPU.

I actually stopped playing ACC not because I hate it or I am salty that I can't afford a new GPU. It's just that older titles like RF2, AC1 etc are optimized well to run even on a potato. I know... yeah yeah... EA.

I'll jump back when everything is complete. For now, I can run it with low-medium graphics but it's really not enjoyable ATM. Don't bash me, It's my GPU or could be Kunos themselves. IDK. I mean Fortnite is also using unreal engine, and it runs as good as CSGO on my PC. But not ACC.

Tend to agree. Which is why my playhours in ACC are low. Haven't touched it in weeks.

I upgraded my system to 8700K and 1080 Ti (goddamn expensive), in hopes of running this on triple screen. Well, there's no triple support (which would be smaller thing, RaceRoom didn't have it in years, Dirt Rally never) but the game just doesn't run.. even with my setup.

772617d430873a882163b0e654385721.png

When these settings don't hold 60 fps in all conditions... it is kind of disheartening, and I've gone back to older sims for now.

I mean, putting Shadows 1 notch down, on "Low" would totally disable them. Putting Effects on "Low" would disable raindrops from your car window.... Disabling mirrors gives FPS, but then you can't see behind.... And the game is planning to have 30 car races

Unreal 4 looks great but... True triple support would hit the FPS even more, it's more demanding than stretched image. Hope there is still some optimizations possible, but I'm not 100% convinced there is. Not the first Unreal 4 game that struggles with this

As for Fortnite, made by same people that made Unreal 4. It's complex engine and nobody knows it better than Epic Games. Also, cartoonish graphics

Last edited:
Reactions: NDG

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes