ACC: First Preview of Paul Ricard Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Paul Ricard.jpg

Marco Massarutto has teased a first image of a soaking wet Paul Ricard circuit in Assetto Corsa Competizione - demonstrating a frighteningly lifelike looking image.

Now let us all be honest here, Paul Ricard in its modern configuration isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea when it comes to racing circuits of choice, the once legendary track having had something of a makeover in recent years to become instantly recognisable from the TV screen, but practically impossible to tell where one is driving when out on the circuit.

Thanks to the wonders of modern asphalt technology, the Paul Ricard High Tech Test Track is something rather unique in the racing world - but man is it difficult to pick out where those corners are!

Coming very soon as part of the Steam Early Access release programme for Assetto Corsa Competizione, Kunos Simulazioni own Marco Massarutto couldn't help but spread some of the excitement by pushing out an early preview of the track under wet conditions - an image that really does showcase what is an incredible graphics engine in play with this already very impressive feeling racing simulation.

So there you go folks - Paul Ricard is ACC first look. Looks pretty good doesn't it? - even if the track is awful!

Don't forget to check our review article and video, found HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Excited for Paul Ricard coming to ACC? Enjoying the title so far? Let us know below!

Used to be a lovely straight line through there, with nothing but grass and armco either side. Like proper racetracks. Now it's a jumble of mario kart nonsense.
From that angle it might look confusing, but from the top it's not that bad. The straight is still there, but they needed something to slow the cars down. While it's not exactly Mulsanne of Circuit de la Sarthe, uninterupted the straight in PR is still almost 2km. Only unlike LeMans, where they opted for simple chicanes, here there are more options for different layouts.
And, at least when driving in AC1, it's not really that confusing
EaoP9ap.png

I know well how the circuit has changed from the old days to the horrible looking thing it is now. The long circuit is still there. It just sadly now looks like something that should be driven in big heads mode on a nintendo, while throwing bananas out the back of your little kart, rather than an actual racing circuit.

Go race in any sim that has the old 70s version, then run the HTTT. One feels like a racetrack, the other, an awful mess.

Well I’ve just been playing this combo (track and BMW) in AC1 and actually think after a few laps it grew on me and wasn’t that bad, to a point of actually enjoying it.
It may not be my ‘go to’ track but I don’t think it’s as bad as people are making out.

When I saw it from the top the first time I said it was horrible.
When I tried it in the first few laps I said it was horrible.
When I learned the trajectories and made the car setup I said it was a good track ;)
Awesome mod track in AC :thumbsup:

I'm sure the track will be done to a high level of detail but it's my least favorite track, even over COTA and that track is truly terrible. Paul Ricard has about as much elevation change as a billiard table and has ridiculous paint stripes all over the place resembling a miniature golf outing.

Looking forward to the BMW far more than this track.

If "Disagree" is your response then I really can't help you. Have a reality check and correct your expectations for games in pre-release state.

Many thanks for your advice about early access - but it does not take you to have a clear understanding about that. I was already at that point before release 0.1.

When it comes to the link to the support forum - check out the posts with my nickname - also here I was already there since release 0.1 (are you still in 0.2?). If you take a deep dive you will find many people having problems with the controls, i.e. twichy steering. I would say the majority. And yes, I got a reaction from the devs already mid september - but that did not cured anything so I have to wait for further releases. As many others too. In the meantime, "we" the users, help each other with tricks found out by fiddling parameters to set. The devs working indeed on that issue, cause they have silently given birth to a parameter called steering scale with release 0.2. Did you recogniced that?

When Paul made the statement "...with this already very impressive feeling racing simulation" I was simply astonished. To come to that conclusion you have to have proper controls.

In that light it seems to me, that you are the only one who is "trash talking" here. To be more precize - you are looking like a barking mutt.

Cheers

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 241736

If "Disagree" is your response then I really can't help you. Have a reality check and correct your expectations for games in pre-release state.

Many thanks for your advice about early access - but it does not take you to have a clear understanding about that. I was already at that point before release 0.1.

When it comes to the link to the support forum - check out the posts with my nickname - also here I was already there since release 0.1 (are you still in 0.2?). If you take a deep dive you will find many people having problems with the controls, i.e. twichy steering. I would say the majority. And yes, I got a reaction from the devs already mid september - but that did not cured anything so I have to wait for further releases. As many others too. In the meantime, "we" the users, help each other with tricks found out by fiddling parameters to set. The devs working indeed on that issue, cause they have silently given birth to a parameter called steering scale with release 0.2. Did you recogniced that?

When Paul made the statement "...with this already very impressive feeling racing simulation" I was simply astonished. To come to that conclusion you have to have proper controls.

In that light it seems to me, that you are the only one who is "trash talking" here. To be more precize - you are looking like a barking mutt.

Cheers
Your my man Butzemann. I didn‘t receive a reply from KUNOS guys when it comes to the f**** controller set up with that huuuuge annoying deadzone which isn‘t a real deadzone. Oh man

Thanks for that - in the current state of development I would not expect an intense communication with the users. For what reason? They have already a tight timeline & road map to work on.It will be interesting to see, "what the cat had hacked" in the next build.

Cheers

I don't work at Kunos, but here's my view of the whole situation: When people go to support forums (i.e not general news forums like the popular ones here at RD), it's because they're unhappy because something isn't working as they expect (which could be by design or not) or something is indeed broken. You know who's typically not on support forums? People who are playing the game and are happy, or at the very least they are content with the current progress. I'm sorry that the game has been giving you both issues, but, and it has been mentioned before, there are lots of people not experiencing your issues...or, they are not "issues" to lots of people.

If you take a deep dive you will find many people having problems with the controls, i.e. twichy steering. I would say the majority.

People to this day can't agree on 1 universal setting for the original Assetto Corsa that gives the "best" feeling (that's because there is no universal setting that works for everyone)...so I'm not surprised that ACC, built on a different engine and in Early Access, is causing some to praise it and others to lash out at it. Even if I'm to ignore all that, go to this link: Steam database stats on Assetto Corsa Competizione

There are somewhere between 20,000 to 50,000 people worldwide with Early Access ACC. Unless you can prove to me that even 10% of the 20,000 people (2,000 people) are on the forums complaining about how horrible ACC is, that still means that 90%, or 18,000 to 45,000 people are not complaining...and if those 90% have the means to go on Steam and get an Early Access game...and read/watch the video and disclaimer that displays every time you start ACC...then they have the ability to find the Kunos forums and complain about the product that they paid for. I have been to the Kunos forums several times...people are indeed complaining: that's expected at a support forum...but I doubt it's 11,000 to 26,000 people complaining...not even close. So it seems like the majority is either nonchalant about wasting money...or they are happy with the progress so far and/or they're waiting patiently for updates to fix any possible issues.

Your my man Butzemann. I didn‘t receive a reply from KUNOS guys when it comes to the f**** controller set up with that huuuuge annoying deadzone which isn‘t a real deadzone. Oh man

(Disclaimer: I played ACC from day 1 on an old Mac Pro with a GTX 980ti on Windows 7, cluttered with lots of useless programs and outdated drivers for over 3 years, so a bigger chance for driver/program issues. I just recently got a new computer with a RTX 2080 running Windows 10...clean install, so smaller chance for driver/program issues. I currently use a Fanatec Clubsport setup (and previously used a Logitech G27) and I own all the current sims talked about here at Race Department, so I know what a wheel with no deadzone should feel like.)

I have never experienced any deadzone with ACC. Not once. That doesn't mean you're not having deadzone issues, but I'm just saying maybe something/somebody other than Kunos is to blame. I agree that the way they changed the controller setup is not to my liking, but I haven't had any issues assigning controls. In fact, one thing I do like about the new control setup is the option for long and short button presses: brilliant! Now I can turn on/off lights and flash the lights with one button! :D

Bottom line: If it's not a glitch in your wheel or a corrupted installation of ACC or Windows, then maybe it's user error? :whistling: If you do tech support long enough for anything, you realise that most problems people complain about can be solved by simple things the user forgot or didn't know how to check.

• Deleted member 241736

puh, long term writing @johndough247. Think twice: If 10% complain in something doesn‘t mean that 90% agreed! It‘s important what I said cause this is the way all the radical partys like AFD argue - watch out my friend.

I don't work at Kunos, but here's my view of the whole situation: When people go to support forums (i.e not general news forums like the popular ones here at RD), it's because they're unhappy because something isn't working as they expect (which could be by design or not) or something is indeed broken. You know who's typically not on support forums? People who are playing the game and are happy, or at the very least they are content with the current progress. I'm sorry that the game has been giving you both issues, but, and it has been mentioned before, there are lots of people not experiencing your issues...or, they are not "issues" to lots of people.

People to this day can't agree on 1 universal setting for the original Assetto Corsa that gives the "best" feeling (that's because there is no universal setting that works for everyone)...so I'm not surprised that ACC, built on a different engine and in Early Access, is causing some to praise it and others to lash out at it. Even if I'm to ignore all that, go to this link: Steam database stats on Assetto Corsa Competizione

There are somewhere between 20,000 to 50,000 people worldwide with Early Access ACC. Unless you can prove to me that even 10% of the 20,000 people (2,000 people) are on the forums complaining about how horrible ACC is, that still means that 90%, or 18,000 to 45,000 people are not complaining...and if those 90% have the means to go on Steam and get an Early Access game...and read/watch the video and disclaimer that displays every time you start ACC...then they have the ability to find the Kunos forums and complain about the product that they paid for. I have been to the Kunos forums several times...people are indeed complaining: that's expected at a support forum...but I doubt it's 11,000 to 26,000 people complaining...not even close. So it seems like the majority is either nonchalant about wasting money...or they are happy with the progress so far and/or they're waiting patiently for updates to fix any possible issues.

(Disclaimer: I played ACC from day 1 on an old Mac Pro with a GTX 980ti on Windows 7, cluttered with lots of useless programs and outdated drivers for over 3 years, so a bigger chance for driver/program issues. I just recently got a new computer with a RTX 2080 running Windows 10...clean install, so smaller chance for driver/program issues. I currently use a Fanatec Clubsport setup (and previously used a Logitech G27) and I own all the current sims talked about here at Race Department, so I know what a wheel with no deadzone should feel like.)

I have never experienced any deadzone with ACC. Not once. That doesn't mean you're not having deadzone issues, but I'm just saying maybe something/somebody other than Kunos is to blame. I agree that the way they changed the controller setup is not to my liking, but I haven't had any issues assigning controls. In fact, one thing I do like about the new control setup is the option for long and short button presses: brilliant! Now I can turn on/off lights and flash the lights with one button! :D

Bottom line: If it's not a glitch in your wheel or a corrupted installation of ACC or Windows, then maybe it's user error? :whistling: If you do tech support long enough for anything, you realise that most problems people complain about can be solved by simple things the user forgot or didn't know how to check.

And what do you expect from me now? In my personal opinion your post is a bomb of bullshit. The range of your rethoric tricks goes from polemic, in and out grouping, distortion, etc. to denying. And you didn´t got the point. But that is only my opinion.

But I do something different. I copy and paste your post to the support forum of ACC and the corresponding steam community hub as well. Stay tuned for a warm welcome from the few.

Cheers

And what do you expect from me now? In my personal opinion your post is a bomb of bullshit. The range of your rethoric tricks goes from polemic, in and out grouping, distortion, etc. to denying. And you didn´t got the point. But that is only my opinion.

But I do something different. I copy and paste your post to the support forum of ACC and the corresponding steam community hub as well. Stay tuned for a warm welcome from the few.

Cheers

:O_o:

Is this when I'm suppose to say "OH NO!!! Please sir, don't report me to them internetz people! I'll be good and think only like you do, I promise!!"

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I see this is the portion of our programme where structured debate goes out the window and the flame war begins...so my final thoughts:
  • ACC shows great potential...regardless of what you think.
  • The car handling is fine but not perfect and there's no deadzone on my system...regardless of what you think.
  • Paul Ricard (the track, not the actor :D) is awesome...regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I bid you good day, sir.

I was born 30km from the real track, and I have seen there so many races, that my opinion on the track is just biased.
It is for me a dream to have the opportunity to race on this high quality track (as all kunos trakcs), even if of course it is just a simulation

• Deleted member 241736

I reall
:O_o:

Is this when I'm suppose to say "OH NO!!! Please sir, don't report me to them internetz people! I'll be good and think only like you do, I promise!!"

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I see this is the portion of our programme where structured debate goes out the window and the flame war begins...so my final thoughts:
  • ACC shows great potential...regardless of what you think.
  • The car handling is fine but not perfect and there's no deadzone on my system...regardless of what you think.
  • Paul Ricard (the track, not the actor :D) is awesome...regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I bid you good day, sir.
I really don‘t know
It was resurrected as a test track and that is precisely what it should be, nothing more, nothing less. :p
Testtrack for the next ACC build. Date of release?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.