ACC Build 3 Released: Adds Multiplayer, Paul Ricard and BMW

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The latest Assetto Corsa Competizione build is now live!

Adding a new car in the form of the BMW M6 GT3, a new laserscanned version of the Paul Ricard circuit and a first pass at multiplayer functionality, this is indeed a big day for the team over at Kunos Simulazioni as they move into the third stage of Early Access with Assetto Corsa Competizione.

As well as the new content added to the core title, today also brings a rather significant sized change log of fixes and amendments to the game. Well worth a read to understand some of the level of commitment being undertaken by Kunos at this early stage of development for ACC, the full update notes can be seen below:

• New BMW M6 GT3
  • New Circuit Paul Ricard
  • Introduced Practice Session Multiplayer Mode
  • Introduced 3 Hours and 6 Hours Endurance race weekend
  • New online Special Events with new content and online leaderboard
  • Old offline Special Events (quick races) made available
  • Setup Alignment Caster modification is now possible
  • Setup bumpstop UP range is now in stable offset with wheel rate.
  • Adjustments to the dry tyre model rolling resistance
  • Adjustments to the rain tyre mode rolling resistance
  • Wet and water surface rolling resistance and aero drag adjustments
  • Brake ducts preparation on setup screen. Not yet available
  • Fixed steering ratio right selector issue
  • Fixed values on setup screen
  • Improved trasmission and engine wobble and vibration simulation
  • Improved start assist
  • Improved TC logic
  • TC logic simulation now takes into account engine and drivetrain vibration and tries to protect system malfunction.
  • Improved pitlane limiter function.
  • Pitlane limiter only available in 1st gear, disengages if 2nd gear selected.
  • Ram-Air simulation for normal aspirated engines.
  • Improvements on Lamborghini Huracán steering geometry
  • Improvements and adjustments on all preset setups
  • Introducing dirt buildup on cars (step 1)
  • Fixed Bentley ABS same value 2
  • Fixed Bentley Continental display issues with speed limiter
  • Fixed gamepad deadzone forced in UE4
  • Fixed z-fighting problem in replays
  • Added Pixel Density setting in Video options for VR:
  • pixel Density requires Resolution Scale to be set to 100
  • removing external workarounds (e.g. modified engine.ini) recommended
  • Nameplates with text scaling in screen space, and settings in nameplateSettings.json:
  • textMinSizePerc: to make the text size bigger/smaller
  • minVisibleSizePerc: to make it disappear sooner/later
  • Added Replay tyre compounds, track lights and car dirt status
  • New audio device selector in audio options
  • Improved spatialization for tyres sound and all related effects
  • Reworked logic for skid and scrub sound effects
  • Tweaked dirtiness volume related to its level
  • Tweaked distance attenuation for exterior sounds
  • Radio comms resource usage optimization (loading audio on demand)
  • Events poliphony optimization
  • Fix missing exterior engine in some rare cases with chase camera
  • Minor audio fixes
  • Performance optimizations in the game thread
  • Mouse not interfering with D-Pad \ Keyboard menu navigation anymore
  • Added new menu page Driver Profile (only Rating section available at the moment)
  • Fixed drivers without helmet in VR

With ACC now having reached the third update release, the title has bumped up in price accordingly. Any new adopters of the game will now have to pay a still very reasonable £29.99, and can pick the title up from the Steam platform for PC systems. Kunos have not yet revealed if the game will be moving to console in future, with more news on that subject expected when development matures heading into 2019.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

ACC Release 3 Update.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
I paused the game in a 3hr race to look at a replay (going down the front straight at the Nurburgring), when I returned to live action, I found my car up against the wall and down 3 places. Apparently the game kept going when I paused it. Frustrating, but I am not ready to pronounce the game worthless, or the developers as inadequate because there are bugs in an EA release.

I expect these kinds of issues in a game that is in development. I know a great many aficionados have VR or triple screens that are of little or no use at present. I am sure this is frustrating when you imagined that release 3 would solve all of your issues. Even on my 21:9 screen I wish the framerate was better and the motion smoother at times, but if you focus on what is good about this release your stress level will go down a few notches. For my part, I am a couple of seconds slower in the M6 (which is not dialed in yet with any real set up) at the NRBGR than in the Huracan. When I watch real races I am always impressed when a driver puts down the fastest lap of the race 75%-95% of the way through with a degraded car and a tired driver. What I realize in the game is my times are improving as the race goes on for two reasons: one, muscle memory really starts to take over so there is less thinking about each turn and braking situation - similar to when you arrive at your destination when running errands and you don't actually remember the trip to the store. Two, and what is really a big difference in this game versus AC1 (IMO), as the track rubbers in the grip is greatly enhanced. Places where I would potentially lose the back end coming out of a turn now keep the back wheels tracking in line. While I have never driven in a Blancpain race :O_o:, I imagine that this is what happens in real life and that type of nuance is what I think will ultimately make this sim great.

I am excited about ACC for what it is attempting to do: recreate a real racing series in as authentic a manner as possible. It probably wont be a good hot lap or quick race game because the subtleties will not readily show up in these quick hits (at least not yet), but to me this release has added a lot more than just the M6 (thank you though) and Paul Ricard (what are you going to do, it's part of the series).

Just had a go (finally had time) and for me it plays pretty good.
Driving the Huracan around Paul Ricard in VR Hotlap it runs smooth and is surprisingly easier to see the corners than on a flat screen, it feels more natural somehow. FFB was non existent at first then after adjusting the settings it felt good.
But, the last driving game I played recently was Forza 7, so.............

Can't break 2mins for a lap yet, or keep it entirely on the racing line but that's me not the sim.

PC is a i7 3770k at default settings, GTX 1070 FE and WMR headset with thrustmaster TX+t3pa-pro+loadcell+th8a.

After 0.3 update the game still continues being playable in Linux with Steam Play/Proton, with Force Feedback support in my G27. I have a little better performance than in 0.2 release. Important: Multiplayer online also works, but with the same problems as in Windows. The starting video is not played as always
I'm using Proton 3.16-4 beta with nvida 415.13 beta drivers in Ubuntu 18.10.
Obviously, is always better a native versión (with UE4 is perfectly possible, even with Vulkan support).

I have to add here, that the linux version is signifcantly worse in performance than the windows problem due to general problems with proton handling UE4 engines using nvidia (search for proton, UE4 and nvapi). This causes a lot of errors to be logged and high CPU usage compared with native windows. For me, this means that the game is not playable using proton until the nvapi issue is fixed. There are workarounds out there, but they were too much of a hassle for me to try them out. I didn't try with Proton 3.16-4 though, but the relevant git issue is still not set to fixed, so I guess that it is true also with latest proton.

FIFA, several Need for Speed games.
Ah yes you're right, I forgot these NFS games, and didn't know FIFA uses this engine.
Well, to be fair it could be an option (although I have doubt about the performances capabilities of this engine, as DICE games usually struggle with FPS except Battlefront 2 which works fine) but these are only EA games. Not sure about the possibility to use it as an external simracing developper. And it would suppose the ability to temper the overdone post effects which would kill the immersion in a sim racing title. But in theory it's feasible altough there's no Frostbite game with proper VR implementation, VR having been in development on that engine since 2015. So not a great choice at the moment for a racing title, unless EA invest in its development.

I tested the build 3 this evening, and like the previuos one i like it very much.
The bmw and the track are both a good addition to the game,

but,
- impossible to have a server online on the list
- event 7, best lap in the loading page 1:33, which is in my opinion impossible.
I am not a quick guy, but with a lap in about 1:59, I surely can not loose about 26" per lap.
Sorry, it is impossible.
I would like some explanation on a 1:33" lap

Well multiplayer is unplayable at the moment for me. Constant game crashes after a few minutes, every car had a ping of about 1000 (I was on one of the official ACC servers with a latency of 30ish, could've been all cars from Japan or Hawaii but I doubt it) and performance is even worse than against AI cars.
But on the bright side, Paul Ricard is very well done and the M6 is just great to drive!

Let's wait and see when Kunos is able to fix the issues, hopefully before 0.4! :)

Thought it was me and my pc but reading this not the only one luckely. Game crashed with fatal error after 10 minutes and incredible high ping.

question....

VR works in ACC (not have it yet) but Trackir doesn't correct?

I use trackir in AC where it works perfectly but can't get it to work in ACC...

btw, lov the BMW and Paul Ricard track. It's the only track where the straight is long enough to upshift with right hand and sip on your coffee with your left:roflmao:

I would like some explanation on a 1:33" lap
Sounds like best lap from Misano. In my experience those times you see while loading rarely match with the track/event you are loading.

I don't understand why we can't have simple server list. This slider/match search might work as option for some day when everyone got rating and stuff. Now if you want to find specific (even your own :D) server, not possible.... :rolleyes:

It was predictable this would not look as good as presented. Unreal Engine based games always have a "cartoony" feel.

But I must admit that in some external views, ACC looks really good and pretty photorealistic. They are using the engine better than I expected. Onboard, on the contrary, I'm not impressed because of the rendering of the dashboard, which is tipically an UE thing, the "cartoony" thing. But that is not the most important thing atm I assume, I just hope they will be able to work on that aspect. Dashboard rendering is important imo for the immersion.
And how the heck can we do the 'SIM' thing driving every car in the game using bonnet view? Or behind car view? What are those guys doing?

Do you know any non DICE game other than Medal of Honor Warfighter which uses the Frosbite engine? And any non Crytek game using successfully the Cryengine? By sucessfully I mean in terms of performance and in a way you can imagine sufficient for a racing sim.
Unity is another option, Nascar Heat 3 uses it ; it's not that ugly imo, but for sure not tremendous. At the moment Unreal Engine based games look better in general, that's easy to convince a developper to use it.
And.....?

after ten years going to allow myself the luxury of a new pc in january or february because the old one is starting to behave positively odd. bought the game when it was released, not able to run it atm, but the updates and everyone's comments are really a fine buildup to day x when i will finally be able to join my favourite real life series in virtual reality. (there are probably mods out there, but i only have limited time, so stuff has to work out of the box for me.)

after ten years going to allow myself the luxury of a new pc in january or february because the old one is starting to behave positively odd. bought the game when it was released, not able to run it atm, but the updates and everyone's comments are really a fine buildup to day x when i will finally be able to join my favourite real life series in virtual reality. (there are probably mods out there, but i only have limited time, so stuff has to work out of the box for me.)
And......it won't. Sorry to say.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Forum trophies