1998 BMW 320i STW-BTCC

Cars 1998 BMW 320i STW-BTCC 0.5.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
absolutelly, feel free to follow our 'work in progress' thread, which can answer many questions

we tried to make our mods realistic, which sometimes mean adding things we don't like, such as small steering lock. It's considerably small turning circle then Primera, but that's what the car had

@Leonardo Ratafiá brings up a good point though, that hillclimb versions of this car might have been modified , and perhaps we could do a hillclimb version too, don't know

@Ben Lee can give you an answer where does the number come from

...a not exactly super scientific method of attempting to match the steering lock through photographs and videos. Arguably it needs to be increased a little bit. I saw a video of the car struggling around Melco hairpin at almost walking pace. I think the problem is the fender, initially we restricted it because the wheel and tyre intersected the arch when at extreme angles, so no I still don’t think it’s correct. We can increase it a little bit I think.

Last edited:
...a not exactly super scientific method of attempting to match the steering lock through photographs and videos. Arguably it needs to be increased a little bit. I saw a video of the car struggling around Melco hairpin at almost walking pace. I think the problem is the fender, initially we restricted it because the wheel and tyre intersected the arch when at extreme angles, so no I still don’t think it’s correct. We can increase it a little bit I think.
Yes, very common to do it that way. Fortunately I found info for my E30 DTM car, but for the 86 touring cars it's all guessing as to what exact rack they use.

An anecdote from me is that on the E30's, they allowed the steering to rub the fender at full lock. The fender will bend out of the way and not cause significant damage to the tire, and it seems to be quite common in fact. You can see them bending and wobbling in some videos. So it's possible that the real car does have a bit more lock, and will intersect with geometry slightly.

There's a bug with the flames, you probably knew it.
Screenshot_pm3dm_bmw_320i_stw_ks_silverstone_2-5-120-17-48-46.jpg

• Deleted member 223075

I know it isn't finished, just wanted to help... but it seems people can try to help

You can help, but a guy before you has complain about this thing. So i tought it was the same thing for you ;). To discuss about it, i think it don't help because the car is not finished so i think they know their is many missing elements.

Hi Ben. I've been experiencing the steering lock issue at Melco hairpin as well, here's a footage of that:

Since then, I have been spending lots of time working on a lot of criteria on the car's setup as well as my own driving to cope with that. So far it has got a bit better:

Car feels more dynamic around the Melco hairpin, more eager to turn, and I probably could have step on the throttle earlier to rotate the car like Soper and Winkelhock:

Issues aside, I'd like to thank you and the rest of the team for working on this mod! I have been waiting for years and so far it has been nothing but enjoyment! STW era races on the legendary Macau street circuit is a big part of my childhood memories, especially the winning E36s! Now being able to simulate that in AC is just perfect!

I've just tested this car against the Primera by doing 10 laps in each car at Lausitzring DTM and Donington National. They couldn't be more different in terms of driving style and dynamics, but they're within a quarter second of each other in testing, with the Primera having only the tiniest edge. It's fascinating, and I'd love to continue testing and see if they'd be usable together in a multi-make "1990s BTCC" series. Looking forward to watching this car develop. Thanks for the excellent work on both cars.

Version 0.5.1 means that fuel consumption is WIP so it will change for sure.
Also, as Ben wrote the steering ratio is based upon internal camera videos that show full lock.
I'm quite sure the wheels rub the fenderat full lock in reality but in game this would mean that you would see the tire passing through the fender...
So it's all compromise here too...
First hillclimb versions used the same steering box and sometimes had to make manouvre in hairpins, latest probably changed it but also trimmed completely the fender... that's why they could but we can't (for now)...

My suggestion is to just allow the clipping and deal with it. It's actually quite hard to notice and people just regard it as a "bug". Better compromise than having reduced driving ability IMO.

My suggestion is to just allow the clipping and deal with it. It's actually quite hard to notice and people just regard it as a "bug". Better compromise than having reduced driving ability IMO.
yeah maybe we can add a bit more and allow a bit of clipping, although as have been said, there are videos of the car having hard time making tight turns, so it definitely had a smaller amount of lock

• Deleted member 223075

Done ........:D
fp3c.jpg

CODE :

[LIGHT_3]
NAME=motecLCD
COLOR=0,2,6 ;RGB more G = more Cyan color

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.