The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

@Kenny Paton I was only replying to a comment aimed at me. I wasn't negative, I wasn't abusive, I was mealy following on from a point of view.

I apologise if this went off topic. This was never meant to turn in to toxicity at all, it was purely a point of view.

If people have taken offence to this, then again I apologise, as I never want to / intend to offend anybody, never has been or will be my style. We are all here for one reason, and that's for sim racing, communication, talking, and being able to express one's opinion without the need for being slammed

I don't really have a lot more than yesterday that I can show at this time, but I feel obliged to just post something! :roflmao:

Here, have some braking bits to go along with that nice wheel :D

RhJYuZ5h.jpg

D81S64Eh.jpg

cRj4pB2h.jpg

It's an aeromap in 3d, X and Y axis are front and rear ride heights, and Z the lift coefficient.
Yes, though Z is percent of the reference lift coefficient.

I thought you were working on the open source perrin project? Acura hasn't been revealed yet.

Oh wait... Are you doing this to get physics ready just in case someone contacts you to make the acura?
I'm always working on quite a few cars (most for fun, others as commissions, some as IER projects)...I decided I'd do the Acura as a weekend project because they accidentally showed a bunch of their aero data in a promo video for the car, and I've been wanting to do a current-generation LMP2/DPi. Unless someone produces a model it won't be released.

Usually I wouldn't show this kind of work (typically very sensitive data), but since the source material can be found online anyway (though now you may have some trouble as they blurred it in the video) I'm making the exception.

In the process of removing all the excess geometry of the model as most components have double walls required for manufacturing of the parts but for our purposes mostly responsible for bad shadows, texture distortions and artifacts. A lot of place the geometry of the inside wall actually protrudes out into the outside wall. Not sure if that is an issue with the export or something else.

o4vXh8Y.png

As can be seen here:

EsHS89k.png

Last edited:
In the process of removing all the excess geometry of the model as most components have double walls required for manufacturing of the parts but for our purposes mostly responsible for bad shadows, texture distortions and artifacts. A lot of place the geometry of the inside wall actually protrudes out into the outside wall. Not sure if that is an issue with the export or something else.

o4vXh8Y.png

As can be seen here:

EsHS89k.png
You could try "deleting" the excess meshes with the delete duplicates option. It will most likely mess up all the Normal you want to stay tho

You could try "deleting" the excess meshes with the delete duplicates option. It will most likely mess up all the Normal you want to stay tho

Thing is the walls are sometimes maybe 1-2mm apart but sometimes also 1-1.5cm depending on the component. I've researched this and between the option of rebuilding everything from scratch, finding a somewhat automated solution and removing the excess manually the latter turned out to be the best option.

I have applied the remove doubles (delete duplicates) in the beginning and even with increased tolerance it doesn't do anything.

I first planned on rebuilding everything but the fact is the base geometry of the model is not too complex. In my estimation after having removed the excess and using my own wheels/brakes and details (lights, windscreen wiper etc.) I'll come in at under 125k. Since this is all open source and the model is ready and available and @mclarenf1papa has done such an outstanding job on the physics I figure it best to conserve as much of the original unaltered design as possible.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.