The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Ah now I understand, from the bubble gum colors I've thought it was some kind of cartoon car, it certainly looks like that IRL, never heard of it before either.
In regards of tires, learned a couple of things from @chargingcar while building the Formula 79, and I can tell you the same thing he told me: your tires look too flat. Look at the pic you posted:
kBq6SDX.jpg

You can see the curvature on the tread, is not completely flat like on your model. Even if it is a little bit, makes a lot of difference in 3D. Also the texture looks like plastic, you got the details right but lacks depth, specially the tread, needs some dirt and road damage.
Screenshot_rss_formula_79_ks_barcelona_9-6-117-14-59-1.jpg

Ah now I understand, from the bubble gum colors I've thought it was some kind of cartoon car, it certainly looks like that IRL, never heard of it before either.
In regards of tires, learned a couple of things from @chargingcar while building the Formula 79, and I can tell you the same thing he told me: your tires look too flat. Look at the pic you posted:
kBq6SDX.jpg

You can see the curvature on the tread, is not completely flat like on your model. Even if it is a little bit, makes a lot of difference in 3D. Also the texture looks like plastic, you got the details right but lacks depth, specially the tread, needs some dirt and road damage.
View attachment 196467

Yeah I had an extra loop or two to have it less flat to begin with but took it off to reduce tris thinking it wouldn't be noticeable - will probably put them back!

And agree, texture looking very stale at the moment, I'll see what I can do.

Yeah I had an extra loop or two to have it less flat to begin with but took it off to reduce tris thinking it wouldn't be noticeable - will probably put them back!

And agree, texture looking very stale at the moment, I'll see what I can do.

What's the texture size on those?

I know, I know... I feel very guilty :redface:

I took a bit of a break, then in the middle had the opportunity to start this one. It wasn't really planned, but I don't expect it to take too long since I have such great reference in all areas, which really makes it easier.
What is it ? :)

I've said above, its a FSAE car :) ~200kg, 4 electric motors, about 100bhp total, big aero.

Should prove quite unique to drive, superbly maneuverable. ind of warrants small, technical tracks though (great fun round the drift track).
I've seen these beasts in Vienna last year. Their acceleration is absolutely unbelievable. Cool to see one of them coming to AC soon :) Sure going to be fun to drive around a kart track :sneaky:

I've seen these beasts in Vienna last year. Their acceleration is absolutely unbelievable. Cool to see one of them coming to AC soon :) Sure going to be fun to drive around a kart track :sneaky:
I hope so! Data on the motors is pretty much all I'm waiting for, will be keen to see how it performs. I've seen plenty of videos though, they look pretty rapid.

Reactions: CC
Cheers for the feedback!
Regarding the grain, when you say scale do you mean 'amplitude' of the bumps, or just overall scale of the texture?
And yeah, the transition is very sharp, not sure what I can do about that given its two separate materials - might look into the alpha channels and see what I can do.

And here is the real tyre, you can see the sidewall is clearly more shiny than the tread which is why I went with two materials.
Also, what do you mean by blueing?

kBq6SDX.jpg

TGea2IBh.jpg

Ah, I see they've done some polishing of the sidewalls, given it a treatment (but not as shiny as ArmorAll), and you've modeled it very well in that case.

My comment on the grain is mostly the amplitude, I think, though a little on the scale of the texture (tread depth holes look perfect, so they should remain the current scale).

Blueing is maybe a specular quality on fresh soft tires that have just been run hard. It's about the same shade of blue as tire smoke, which is probably why I've only seen it at the very edge of the tread of fresh tires. Usually goes away after a week of the tire sitting around after running and can sometimes reappear on the next use, then its gone.

LOL, if you weren't creating such a lovely detailed tire in the first place, I wouldn't even mention these things!

I took a walk out to the carriage house to look at my Hoosiers, one set run in and one set of stickers... too bad they're more than a decade old, so pretty useless for the visuals of a fresh tire.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.