The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Great news, was hoping somebody took up the task to build Lime Rock. Great progress, layout seems good to me.

built the skid pan, two parking areas and the drift circuit and all adjoining roads today/yesterday, all driveable etc :)

I'm genuinely surprised by how its turned out. I will be doing more work based on cameras, and already having cameras and comparing it to RL via this method has proven the lidar data to be perfectly acceptable when used correctly. (3rd build attempt) but its shaping up to to be as good as it appears anywhere else imo and I'm superbly critical.

Last edited:
That feeling when your 3d suspension matches your physics on the first try :thumbsup:

Jp84fTCh.jpg

VYo5V90h.jpg

My God, @Ben O'Bro -- The textures on your main headlights are gorgeous. Those coilovers look magnificent too. Those are directional lights/blinkers under the main headlights, right? It may just be the angle of your photo, but they look kind of like wooden knobs. That might be because you made the main headlights so damn realistic. I'm not an artist, so others would know much better than I, regarding those smaller blinkers in the front. You've really created a stunning vehicle. Simply stunning.

Which part is inaccurate, the 3D model or the physics?
the physics is from the real car i measured last year :)
The model is older, some parts from few years back... and since the mapping was done etc. i'll be updating this area for further model only.

My God, @Ben O'Bro -- It may just be the angle of your photo, but they look kind of like wooden knobs.
Let me correct you right here, it's actually made of carrots
240_F_104229459_9tF6RFyADikkgNCJHHoagFbN3xgqncQn.jpg

i've spent time on this XD the problem i have is, the real one (not the carrot) is made of plastic translucent, so if i had transparency on ksEditor, it looked crap also, i don't know what to do. I'll probably check kunos cars how they did they indicators... carrot or wood.

the physics is from the real car i measured last year :)
The model is older, some parts from few years back... and since the mapping was done etc. i'll be updating this area for further model only.

i've spent time on this XD the problem i have is, the real one (not the carrot) is made of plastic translucent, so if i had transparency on ksEditor, it looked crap also, i don't know what to do. I'll probably check kunos cars how they did they indicators... carrot or wood.

I've had to deal with something similar, hard to get by with a simple texture so I made a high poly model first with the details, then baked a normal map to the low poly object and this is how it turned out:

light.jpg

This may add some rendering complexity, but what about trying a couple layers of transparent textures? Outermost layer is just a smooth glossy transparent. Second layer (outward facing) is the same material, but with an aggressive normal map for the moulded in details, and a third layer which is the same, but normals flipped so it's facing inward, so you can see the details from the side as well (might not be totally necessary).

Possibly a little overkill, but could work. The problem with using only a single layer and using a normal map is that it then looks like the outside surface of the lens has the texture, but in reality a lot of lenses have the texture on the inner surface while the outer is smooth (not a steadfast rule by any means, but a lot of the round amber lenses I've seen are like that).

Not gonna quote myself (pic on last page) but on the RX7 it's in 3 layers - outer transparent + lens colour, middle black with alpha according to thickness of the lens, and then the lens itself (lens color again). I don't think it's worth putting reflection+normals on the middle layer, maybe colour-coordinate it with the outer lens, cause AC's transparency isn't really suited for reflections seen through tinted lenses. You can see how far inset the black layer is on the left turn signal, I would tune reflections so it's not super obvious that it's like that probably (atm the reflections are very soft cause the outer layer's using some simple material).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 214 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 215 14.4%