Sidekick

Apps Sidekick 1.11.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
I cannot judge if it does not work for any mod car per se (I just have installed so many) but here are a few I have tried it with, all of which I cannot get the ideal tire pressure data (and temperature color hint) to display:

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/opel-manta-s1.16402/
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/honda-s800-cabriolet.12687/
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/honda-s800-rsc.12999/
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ferrari-643-1991-by-asr-formula.12727/
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/lola-t70-mkii-spyder-rf2.16043/

Could you tell me what exactly should be happening if CM + Sidekick interact normally?
CM creates files for mod cars, Sidekick can read as reference?
Can those files be created manually for cars that don't work?

I have to mention, I use CM (full version) only to manage mods, UI previews, car/ track names + info and certain settings (certain apps for example).
I do start and use Assetto Corsa exclusively through the Steam launcher, not with the CM launcher methods.

Also, maybe I misunderstand the feature - to clarify:
I do see in Sidekick tire pressures and temperatures (total values only) but I do lack the information of ideal tire pressure (I have Sidekick set to display deviation from ideal tire pressure instead of total pressure).

All Kunos cars I have tried and checked on this are working perfectly fine with Sidekick (deviation from ideal tire pressure is displayed).

...I have to mention, I use CM (full version) only to manage mods, UI previews, car/ track names + info and certain settings (certain apps for example).
I do start and use Assetto Corsa exclusively through the Steam launcher, not with the CM launcher methods...
There's your problem. CM checks and creates the files Sidekick needs when launching the game, so you need to launch the game using CM at least once for every car that you need data for.

Hey that is great news ;-)
Thanks and I will check it out next time around.

Which files exactly are those, so I can have a peak and verify all went fine (I suppose a quick launch into a lone practice session on the smallest track and immediate ALT+F4 suffices for each car to have the files created)?

Will files only be created for the car I select for driving or could I create a race with ALL mod cars and files will be created at once?

Thanks for the launcher tip schnipp! Will do!

Hey that is great news ;-)
Thanks and I will check it out next time around.

Which files exactly are those, so I can have a peak and verify all went fine (I suppose a quick launch into a lone practice session on the smallest track and immediate ALT+F4 suffices for each car to have the files created)?

Will files only be created for the car I select for driving or could I create a race with ALL mod cars and files will be created at once?

Thanks for the launcher tip schnipp! Will do!
They will be inside compounds and brakes (if the car has brake temperatures) folders, named like the car. The files get created only for the car you're driving.

By the way, why are you so afraid to use CM as a launcher altogether?

In your AC install folder go to:
\assettocorsa\apps\python\Sidekick\compounds

There is a file called compounds.ini, that includes all tyre data for the KS cars.
Additional files will be created for each mod car with the name 'mod car name'.ini

Thanks for the tips guys - very good info!

I use the stock launcher for using Assetto Corsa and CM for managing content and certain settings as this combination just works for me without any issues and without any overhead to solve problems.
I race online quite a bit and often CM is coming up when some of the guys do have issues finding a certain server, filtering servers, in game settings, trouble shooting issues that the rest of the group cannot help with.

Using CM as a launcher replacement is a beautiful thing to do (I love the app) but it does unfortunately add another layer of potential issues. The way I use it it's working flawlessly for me, just adding additional functionality to Assetto Corsa without any head ache ;-)

I do understand I miss out on a few of CM's best features, but that's ok.

Is their a possibility to change to Buttons for controlling Sidekick? (something else then ALT+A and ALT+S)

I use JoyToKey (there is an app also here in the AC APP Download section) to remap the Sidekick shortcuts to buttons on my steering wheel - jumping between sections and altering sections is now done by two buttons on the wheel.

I wish Sidekick would offer more elaborate keyboard shortcuts for us to make specific functions to our wheels.
- move to section "left" "right"
- alter section "up" "down"

… and alter specific sections directly with shortcut
- show tire pressure
- show tire temperatures
- show break temperatures

This way everyone could perfectly design their sidekick shortcuts to their taste

You know that you can cycle each segment by clicking with the mouse on it?!
Yes I know but no mouse-ing and driving here.
The idea is to have the possibility to assign individual shortcuts to each function to be able to assign them to a button on your wheel or button box.

I have the two possible shortcuts assigned to my wheel already but in order to alter POS when my Tire section is marked I have to cycle all the way through the sections to get to POS first.

Yes I know but no mouse-ing and driving here.
That's where JoyToKey comes in again. Assuming sidekick is always in the same position on your screen, you can use the Mouse 2 option (IIRC) in JoyToKey to shift the mouse cursor to the middle of the tyre info box for example in SK, and select the "left click" tick box option, so with a single press of the assigned button on the wheel, it moves the mouse cursor to the correct position and left clicks to cycle through the options.
Not perfect as sometimes it doesn't work again until you move the mouse cursor to a different position, but if you have enough spare buttons on your wheel, you could always use another one to move the mouse cursor slightly (using Mouse 1 option in JTK I think), then the original button to cycle through the tyre options starts to work again :)
So yes it works (albeit slightly fiddly), but having proper assignable shortcuts would definitely be slicker!
Some good info in this post btw, thanks @RasmusP for pointing us in this direction :thumbsup:

Incidentally I use a similar method for switching between laps and time remaining in the fuel app. This also of course resets the mouse position to make the SK tyre button work again after 'freezing'.

Yes Andy, one can use a thumb stick to map mouse axis (this is also directly supported with a better feel via the Fanatec driver menu). But again - this is way to distractive and I prefer this to be as close to a proper race car functionality as possible (moving mouse pointers around when racing simply isn't).

The best compromise currently (which works reasonably well) is to map the two available controls via JoyToKey to two separate buttons on your wheel and have "move section focus" and "change section value" available.
Works best - but could be better with more direct controls ;-)

i found a Solution to Modify the Buttons.

in the file "Sidekick.py" you find at the end the code for the Hotkeys.
ctypes.windll.user32.RegisterHotKey(None, 1, 1, 65) stands for ALT+A
ctypes.windll.user32.RegisterHotKey(None, 1, 1, 83) stands for ALT+S

if you change the "65" or "83" with "win32con." and one of the values listet here, you can choose what ever Button you want.

example for Button "n"
ctypes.windll.user32.RegisterHotKey(None, 1, 1, win32con.VK_KEY_N)

example for Button "F6"
ctypes.windll.user32.RegisterHotKey(None, 1, 1, win32con.VK_F6)

--------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
did not work work. i have an idea but must try it first :(

Last edited:
Yes Andy, one can use a thumb stick to map mouse axis (this is also directly supported with a better feel via the Fanatec driver menu). But again - this is way to distractive and I prefer this to be as close to a proper race car functionality as possible (moving mouse pointers around when racing simply isn't).

The best compromise currently (which works reasonably well) is to map the two available controls via JoyToKey to two separate buttons on your wheel and have "move section focus" and "change section value" available.
Works best - but could be better with more direct controls ;-)
I think without being aware of the alt-a and alt-s shortcuts, I was just pleased to have found some kind of workaround so thought I'd share it ;)
Problems though are 1) it didn't work particularly well with the freezing issue and 2) I see in an earlier post you mentioned moving SK around for different cars so my dodgy workaround would be completely useless in that scenario!
The solution you mention above of mapping the keyboard shortcuts, albeit not perfect does indeed work much better, thanks :thumbsup:
Following on from this, I also discovered the shortcuts for FFB (useful for easily reducing noise from the wheel at nighttime!) and FOV, so I ended up sticking these on the d-pad of my old G25 shifter.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.