Season 13 - General Discussion

Results so far:
David could join my dedi-server :) Its rather old tho...
...so David's server is up again with changed settings. Would be great if anyone could check if it's working. I've let my server go on, so if one is listed, both should be.
And I promised myself to shut the computer off today!

we have a server :)

instal tunngle and connect to the prestogp network as per instructions earlier in this thread, then join game as lan and youll see our server :)

what we really need now is testers and as much as possible, so if anyone can test today please be my guest and post your finding, but tomorrow night at 9pm (uk) im going to host a zandvoort race close to the real presto race conditions, id like as many as possible to attend, doesnt have to be the whole event, just for 5 minutes is enough but we really need to check if the server will handle our numbers.

p.s if the lobby is back up tomorrow then scrap all the discussion above :D

Last edited:
I just tried to search for servers on the PrestoGP network but saw none. :(
At time of writing, I assume there are now, or were 2 servers running on the same network if included Peters? (I could see pdecker in there at the time)

When I tried to host a second server a few days ago (thinking being, it'll be very unlikely to have too many players for my connection) ...it caused the same issue for me where I could see none again, but strangely, my guys could see conflicting information between servers i.e wrong track name for respected server. I'm thinking possibly, Tunngle gets confused when 2 servers on the network are asking for the same port range because of the way the software emulates the connection? Obviously it wouldn't be a problem if the LAN was physical.

Anyway after trying, I reconnected Tunngle back to my network, just to check and mine still showed up and everything is still seems fine my end - phew!

I'll check back laters if you guys are still trying to pursue it. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I know this is totally off topic atm but, Rfactor 2 demo steering what is 800(200)deg. No matter what I set wheel to it just has way to much lock. I do have to say the demo leaves a lot to be desired, it is horrible, the track has very few changes of colour (detail on full), the car drives like a dog, the FFB is totally screwed, the control settings are a total mishmash compared to Simbin games. I need some series study time.

Haha Bob I felt pretty much the same for the first hours, then after some adapting and "letting go" of race 07-thinking, it became really better. Give it a try, and a try again, and some more of those tryings :)

You will have to have some study time with it for sure Bob, there are a few different settings to find what is best for your wheel etc.
Rf2 sets degrees to what real car is there is a tick box to remove this and you can use whatever degrees you wish also and just match to what you have wheel set to, this will most likely mean you will have to lower the steering lock in car setup to get the turn in feel you want. For the civic I think it will be 800 and like 25/30 lock real life/default, most formula cars I use 450 degrees 17 lock although I'm still a noob with rf2 myself.
FFB mostly you will add filter and play with the multi to get what you want to feel, filter reduces amount of update info sent and smooths feel to wheel which is need for gear tooth type wheels like g25 etc and multi is the force.
Theres also lots of settings in the files which have options but would recommend leaving most of these, there is however the 'steering torque minimum' takes out the play in gear driven wheels and gives a stronger feel to wheel, there is a guide to setting this on the isi rf2 forums http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-for-rFactor-2-The-key-to-being-in-the-Zone-D. I also lower the cockpit vibrations in player json file(docu/rf2/userdata/player)

RF2 is more a sim than gtr, it is plug play jump straight out of garage and go as fast as you can, rf2 you need to get tires warm and some rubber on track and grip comes to you this will change the track grip as well as the look to the track. There's hdr and also hdr profiles don't know what settings you had all on max etc but I think game looks really good maxed out. After a some practise with rf2 gtr starts to feel arcadey when you come back to it.

edit: look, a wall of text when it was suppose to be 5 lines..:)

The differences between SimBin and ISI approach to FFB is that SImBin uses grip. There is no such thing as "grip" FFB so it has to be calculated, it is artificial. I favor SImBin as there is one difference: while rF and rF2 both simulate the actual steering column movement, with all the proper torques that comes from changing geometries etc. it does not give you any "ass" feeling what so ever. SimBin used grip as way to give user some feedback. The second difference is mass transfer, which both uses but SImBin IMHO just managed to find better settings for it. Most of the difference is the total strength. In rF small changes in body roll are not so easily noticed but huge changes make your wheel go from side to side, very violently and unpredicatble way. Where as SimBin has a bit exaggerated "low end" and heavily limited "high end".

ISI approach is more "simulatory" and SimBin is more "artificial". SimBin is more playable (debatable, it does give you fine feedback, information a LOT more but since there are many channels, some are "artificial", it gets "muddy") But there is good news: the same .PLR file stuff is still there.. So each and every one of us can tweak rF2 FFB to suite SimBin drivers better. I got a decent setup in one evening where it started to be about what i want, which is very close to SimBin or Race07 feel. Only the body roll or should is say, extreme body roll was still pretty horrible but then again, driving a tin roofer FWD does not represent the Formula classes at all, i'm sure.. But it felt like useable, enjoyable even.

It is a lot better to what it was, small changes here and there (the graphics are VERY odd, i've seen screenies that are just beautiful, on my PC with max settings, it's still looks like crap...). One thing i do have to say: ISI is really really slow doing anything on rF2. I have wondered how they are still alive... They said it's gonna be slow but boy.. It should be a lot more ready, they are at least 1½ years behind schedule. But even if ISI goes broke tomorrow, rF2 is still worth buying. It is too bad SImBin is gone as the perfect game would've been ISI working on engine, SimBin working on the game (just think, clean, uncluttered UI, content that works, graphics that are great but not too much eyecandy, FFB that is tuned for driving a driving game on a computer, not on full-motion rigs..all backed by an engine that is brilliant.. what Race07 did to rF1, Sector 3 should do for rF2.. but ISI is way too proud and SImBin tried to take way too large piece of cake that they could not bake..They were modders, not coders..)

Last edited:
my server is off for tonight guys, it was annoying me, will try again tomorrow but this is promising stuff:thumbsup:
Back to subject ;)
Do you run the server on your gaming PC David? I just re-rigged the server's power at home to be on 24/7 so it could run server and be tested out as well. Its a duo core 2 ghz 4 gigs so maybe it should work? Havent actually put it to real tests but with full AI which tops at 10% cpu but maybe is a lot different with players.

Ok, my break is out, running 50/10 min exam studies/break, please keep them fingers crossed for tomorrow guys :)

Think the different servers would need to be done with diffrent profiles? you can set as many as you want from your normal profile though and change settings each time, they all don't have to run same settings when using the one ini file.

Regards whats been said about Rfactor2, Its the next logical step for me at least, Its where I'll go next regardless if Race07 comes back or not, Ive had the game over 2 years now, Ive waited so long to play it and have the fun I know i could have with it but Ive waited and waited for there to be some signs of a move from Presto, whenever it does get brought up its gone within a week and hardly anyone ever posts, always the same few people, does that mean that the people who dont post or give any input at all don't want to goto Rf2 or don't care or want to play Race07 for the rest of their lives? I don't know the answer to that but I'm sick trying to get everyone's opinions on it.

The only thing i can think of that causes this is like Jim's post last week, now this isn't a dig at Jim at all or the others who feel the same but the attitude of because its easy for me, I don't need to practise a lot, I don't need to spend time to be ready, that's what holds us back, people need to take a chance if they want this league to evolve or even stay together for the long term, either that or we're stuck in groundhog league until whenever and I cant see that happening much longer in my situation, I'm already bored shitless with no Race07 server, if they ain't back very soon then I'll be picking up Rf2 and wont look back Im afraid.

Some good points there David. Dont rush away just because some days of lobby down I'd say - we can get this to work pretty seamlessly with our servers up at least. Who need public servers? Heck, it's the reason why Tunngle and such platforms are around for the enthusiasts of old games to be able to get together :)

That won't happen Peter, No matter what I will always follow Presto, if that means racing on Tunngle then that's what I'll do, If the lobby comes back then that's even better but I've promised myself that at some point (soonish) I'll start concentrating on Rfactor2, It may well be that I'll just not put the time into Race07 anymore but still turn up for races, But I can't sit about and overlook a game I've paid for that I love and let it sit waiting on the sidelines, If there's definate movement of Presto then that's where my time will be spent, if not then another league would be the best option to get enjoyment from Rf2 but like I say I wont be leaving Presto for that, it can be done side by side if need be.

Regards Tunngle too, don't get your hope's up too much Peter, Theres still a bit of testing to happen there, I honestly can't see it running smoothly enough for a league race with how spread we are in the world but obviously I'll try all possible to get it working right in the hope we can use it as a stop gap measure. The PC you have would be more than enough to host up to and more than 25 driver's, I've had a couple of dedi server's here with less specs than yours and always ran fine. :thumbsup:

I did sound a bit anti rf2 in my earlier post:(

I'm not at all, I just pointing out that with R07 and this league as it stands it enables me to do a little practice then turn up, be reasonably competitive and have fun without having to dedicate too much time to it, which for me is perfect:ninja:

I will move to rf2 when everyone else does along with this league:thumbsup:, someone or something needs to force the issue, I know David has been trying and does get frustrated when we all put our comfy slippers on and light a pipe:whistling:

Maybe we should just do it?

Jim

I did sound a bit anti rf2 in my earlier post:(

I'm not at all, I just pointing out that with R07 and this league as it stands it enables me to do a little practice then turn up, be reasonably competitive and have fun without having to dedicate too much time to it, which for me is perfect:ninja:

I will move to rf2 when everyone else does along with this league:thumbsup:, someone or something needs to force the issue, I know David has been trying and does get frustrated when we all put our comfy slippers on and light a pipe:whistling:

Maybe we should just do it?

Jim

The first part of your post probably sum's up everyone's feeling's Jim, it's great we are able just to turn up and have so much fun, I do love that about Presto it's whats kept me here so long.

The second part is what I want so much to happen with everyone, and this could very well be the push we need, I think i need to clarify that I'm not always bleating on about Rf2 for purely personal reason's, I think it would be so much better for the league as a whole, We are limited so much with Race07 that we've just learned to deal with it, but why? why deal with something when there's no need, we have the ready made replacement right there.

Granted nothing is ever easy, there will be time's that folk feel like its a lost cause, There will be time's when servers are down or someone can't connect, There might be time's we wished we never moved but.. There will be a lot more time's that we are glad we did, when ISI release the latest F1 cars, or a new track such as Interlagos, or when we are using DRS down into turn 1 Suzuka, having pit stops that take the same time as real life, having dynamic weather (when fully implemented), rubbering the track up at the start of a new weekend.

I could go on and on all day about the features we'd gain, The only thing I'd be worried about losing is anyone from the Presto family, I've no doubts in my mind Presto could make it work with a move but it would be a lot of work, I am happy to stick my head on the line and say I'd do most of the work if I'm able to do it but we will all come together like we have for countless years and one day PrestoGP rFactor2 League would be just as easy going and easy run as we are now.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.