GT6 Gran Turismo 6 News & Discussion

i'm a bit divided, in one hand i find it very nice, good raphhics, the weigth of the car is more noticable, especially while braking, the career mode looks nice so far, really like the way the licenses are obtained. On the other hand the lack of cockpit in some cars is a major let down as well as the way some models look (some of them are really nice and others just look like they were taken from previous games and converted for this game) aswell as the ligths not working in some of the cars (so far only the Hyunday Clix had this problem, but, beside the aniversarry cars, this was the only one i drove). These minor problems for me give the same impression they did in GT5, that they were in a hurry to launch the game and did it before completing all of the cars, i would prefer having only 500 cars with good models than 1200 some with very nice models and others with "old" models, i guess i will just not drive those cars

Divided here as well... It is the best looking, best handling console based sim type product, no contest. Yes i have in fact tried Forza 5 already and yes it is still a floaty tugboat simulator, as if a suspension so loose it resembles a beach bug is actually more "real"...

Yet, GT6 is still no proper sim, it has vastly improved handling over the previous iterations, but still it is very much simplified, for instance there seems to be no drifting mass calculations and the tire model is bland, with little feel to it.

The part that breaks it for me is however the abysmal framerate. Cockpit view is unplayable on some tracks, at Brands Hatch down to 20 fps, with only 6 cars in race. This is at 720p, even worse in 1080p of course. This combined with the massive framedrop stuttering is really really bad... My immersion, speed and flow is compromised, and the physics of the game is off sync.

Yes, i know PS3 hw is pushed to the limit here, and the realtime shadows is fantastic and all that, but for me... I want to race, not watch a pretty slideshow. 60 fps locked, with 120hz. Physics update is mandatory. If you can not reach that you cut away everything, until you do. Simple as that. Polyphony is instead obsessed with the nice looking 30fps replay movies, and photo modes, and yes they are nice... But i would take fluid racing with 16+ grids over all this "pushing the graphical boundary" crap.

It is obvious that the PS3 can not cope with it, at the needed update freqs, so don't do it.

But then of course the kids would complain because it was ugly. What sells is screenshots and gloss. Obviously.

Hoping for patches.

My copy here in New Zealand is sweet. The most frame rate loss I find in turn 2-3 at Bathurst. But then it's only minor. That is cockpit view as well. Most other tracks are fine.

I'm really enjoying it over GT5

If you find it "minor" then consider yourself a lucky man. As for me, i feel dizzy and all immersion is lost. Not only because framerate is low, bit also inconsistent.

It also brings physics to slow down, as it locks itself to screen rate (as far as i can feel). You notice it on the ffb update among other things when things drop to slideshow rates. This is particularly bad as in simulating driving a vehicle you need two things mostly, motion fluidity and solid physics at a synced sampling rate.

My point being that priorities are still wrong.

i never done the 4hr of tsukuba, i once tried it and when there was 30 minutes to the end i paused the game and when i came back i accidentaly pressed went left on the menu and pressed x, so i exited the race, and it didn't even asked me if i was sure like it does when you restart a race, so i was pretty mad with the game, the 9hr of tsukuba also didn't had the chance to try them

Personally i don't miss the endurance racing in GT6. My personal opinion is that GT doesn't have all the fidelity to the simulation needed to fully enjoy the strategy part of endurance races. Also, against AI who doesn't feel fatigue or lose concentration it is not as dynamic and exciting.

The shorter format, in my opinion, does GT the most justice actually.

I get what you are saying. I agree with you even.... to a point.

I agree about there being no strategy involved in winning the races in previous renditions of the GT franchise (wow some big words there. This coffee must make me smart :D ).

However there are some of us that made things more of a challenge in the endurance races (standard cars v race cars, GT300v GT500, underpowered cars v what they put us against). I remember doing the Nurburgring 4 hr in a standard Audi TTR DTM car. Went down to the last corner that race did. Literally only just won it. (I think the margin was around .3 of a second.

I'll give you the point on AI... Terrible still. They still cannon ball into the back of you any chance they get.

I'm a fanboy of endurance racing in GT. Always enjoyed making it a challenge.

Same with me but not only on GT, what can i say, i just love endurance racing, so i'm not absolutely neutral about this :D

Me too. However only in a multiplayer setting and preferably an ordered league, as it brings out the real dynamics of the endurance part a lot better.

But also, it requires a large investment of time. The best ones i've done however has been 12 or more hours, in leagues, with a mate, using driver swaps to run stints in the same car.

Watching the car from the sidelines as your mate is tangled in a fight for position 8 hours in, on the edge, without the possibility to affect it. Ah, the suspense :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.