F1 2016 Modding Questions Thread

Does someone of you still have the original Haas Skin because my Version isn't working and I can't find my backup copy :( Do you know what I could do to get the original one?

:D New Question Time,

Having now played a little with some files, (and still a little disappointed we don't have access to the main value database) I am still trying to find a nice balance to career mode's RnD.

My initial hopes were to alter the amount each RnD grade costs - but as that's hard coded, the best I can do is inflate the costs myself (it appears x2-x2.5 is a decent figure to have RnD take 4-6 seasons to complete - I like this time scale as my Manor should NOT be above Mercedes in Season 3 - it should be taking that long to get to the midfield. And this is about the rate which other teams seem to be doing their RnD [though they are all seemly not scoring many RnD points - very odd... So as a side question, How many RnD points do you get per race? I would like to know.]. In the meantime, I am doubling my point consumption by using Cheat Engine whenever I buy a RnD upgrade [because... yeah, I use cheat engine to make things harder]).

But... I am dissapointed to look and find that ever Car's RnD system have the same upgrades. Yes, Mercedes have a total of 3000 more points to obtain before unlocking everything when compared to the Manor, but everyone's developmental rates are identical - and as a harbinger of chaos - I much prefer more randomness.

So... I am now looking to edit the Upgrade values - making several sets of randomised (within limits of course) numbers such that Every Car has a different Quantity Upgrade to Every RnD Level. This way, No cars are created equal and (so long as you don't look at the files) you won't know which upgrades are any good until you get them, or how they compare to other teams (until you race them).

So, the Team files have "Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1FuelConsumption_lvl_1" as an example. This is great because -
  • Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1FuelConsumption_lvl_2"
  • Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1FuelConsumption_lvl_3"
  • Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1FuelConsumption_lvl_4"
  • Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1FuelConsumption_lvl_5"
- more then likely refer to each and every RnD level. Great.

But what on earth is: <Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier2FuelConsumption_lvl_1"> amd <Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier3FuelConsumption_lvl_1"> referring to? I have no idea, but there is a set of 5 levels for each of the three tiers. Each Tier does have different values too. Is there a secondary Tier Mechanic that I have completely missed?

On, and to make matters weirder:
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1Engine_lvl_1" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1Engine_lvl_2" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1Engine_lvl_3" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1Engine_lvl_4" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier1Engine_lvl_5" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier2Engine_lvl_1" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier2Engine_lvl_2" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier2Engine_lvl_3" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier2Engine_lvl_4" />
<Upgrade name="radUpgradeTier2Engine_lvl_5" />
Are completely blank.

Last edited:
Well, this is disappointing. In a test to see if altering these values works, I set Fuel Upgrade Level 1 (in all three tiers) to Zero (in all three fuel modes). Yet I am still going through a very average amount of Fuel despite having that upgrade. Does this mean the value in these files are redundant anyway :(

Edit: Ignore this section! I am an idiot who didn't realise there was some redundant files in the Root folder and that the real team's erps were in asset groups! Questions from the previous post would still be awesome to know :)

Update:

Well - Tier 1 and Tier 2 appear to be completely redundant.

It is as if Codemasters were originally going to allow us 3 sets of 5 upgrades per area of interest (each tier being better then the previous) but decided against it. It would have been an interesting addition, especially if you were to Give Up RnD for the latter part of the season in exchange for an additional tier in one area for the next. It would have kept the RnD game going further - especially if you lost your upgrades in an area for a particular tier and had to get the points o unlock the upgrades again. If they implemented that, it probably would have kept the RnD side of the career alive longer.

As for what I am trying to add (Randomised RnD Components) it looks like I have all the tools to do it.

The limitations of it would be:
  1. The RnD Reports seem hard coded, and do not display the correct figures for any edited enhancements (Keyfabe - we could argue that those are simulated data and may not reflect actual component performance).
  2. The RnD Team Comparison seems hard coded well (e.g., a -600kg chassis shows just the same improvement as the -6kg chassis.. and a +50Kg chassis). So Car Performance Comparisons are literally based on the Upgrade Type (and level) and nothing else. This is a shame and not game breaking (as its just one screen which is incorrect, but...
  3. Because of point 2. I assume you may get unrealistic expectations. Your Mclaren may have total RnD duds, with my mod giving lower then average default upgrade values - but your performance will show that you should be competing with Fararri (who may have awesome RnD component Updates) - but you're expected to be competing when in the files, those cars would be nowhere near one another. This then spirals as you'll struggle to meet objectives and get RnD points to improve the car further anyway.
I currently don't see a way around those issues yet. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to discuss.

My Wish List is still -
  • Alter RnD points gained or Alter Component costs (Resource Balance).
  • Remove some RnD Components at the end of seasons to mimic 'new design restrictions' (game mechanic - to make it so that you will work for your components each season, even if you have maxed them).
  • Let Component Stats reflect your actual Performance Comparison Charts (and thus, your objectives),

Edit: Another Question? Looking in Tyre Compounds, is Blistering Disabled?

Last edited:
Well - Tier 1 and Tier 2 appear to be completely redundant.

I am now answering my own questions now - but for reference I am asking a new one based on my findings.

TIER 1 and TIER 2 refer to the teams classifcations. Merc, Red Bull etc are getting lower Tier 1 Upgrades, while the midfield are getting Tier 2, and the Manors et al are getting Tier 3 upgrades. So it's looking a bit more like not all car's are created quite so equal.

This begs the question... When you finish a season - and you improve a car from one tier to the next... Does the game recognise this in ANYWAY whatsoever? Any ideas, let me know.

I have made myself a custom helmet which when I add to the gen_22_helmet_d.tga slot it shows up pink (not red) and has some of the old helmet lines on it. I'm guessing this has something to do with the gen_22_helmet_n.tga and gen_22_helmet_s.tga files. Can someone help me please? I've uploaded a picture of my helmet.

Attachments

• gen_22_helmet_d_512.jpg
    gen_22_helmet_d_512.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 318
Here's what's happening in game. Strangely the visor logos have stayed red... Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160921153846_1.jpg
    20160921153846_1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 296
I have made myself a custom helmet which when I add to the gen_22_helmet_d.tga slot it shows up pink (not red) and has some of the old helmet lines on it. I'm guessing this has something to do with the gen_22_helmet_n.tga and gen_22_helmet_s.tga files. Can someone help me please? I've uploaded a picture of my helmet.
You guessed right, but you only need to edit gen_22_helmet_s.tga. just give it a flat lime green color for gloss reflection effects, take a look at other drivers' helmets drivername_helmet_s.tga files to see what I mean.
gen_22_helmet_n.tga doesn't really matter for career helmets editing

as for the pink colors, I think it might be down to in-game colors settings that you use for that helmet.

You guessed right, but you only need to edit gen_22_helmet_s.tga. just give it a flat lime green color for gloss reflection effects, take a look at other drivers' helmets drivername_helmet_s.tga files to see what I mean.
gen_22_helmet_n.tga doesn't really matters for career helmets editing

as for the pink colors, I think it might be down to in-game colors settings that you use for that helmet.

I did exactly that and the outline has gone. As for the pink... Well, it's annoying me. It is red on the file, even the visor logos stay red and the helmet goes pink. If I change the colour to say orange, no problem, shows orange but red keeps displaying bright pink. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

This is something new, I suggest trying out more colors blue, green, yellow etc. to see if there's any other color deviation. If there are, then your ingame color settings is the cause of the problem, if not then I'm sure how does this happen.

The visor isn't part of the helmet editable in-game, so it won't be affected no matter what settings is used.

I have tried orange and that worked fine, no problems at all, I tried changing the shade of the red (lighter and darker) but this just made lighter and darker pink. If I send you the .dds file fluffydave, could you have a look? Thanks!

have you changed the helmet colors in helmet selection screen when you start your career? I guess this is causing appear your red helmet as pink.
Your ingame helmet color sliders have to be set like this for "base", "detail1" and "detail2" to make texture colors look the same in game.

I don't know if it's possible to change them midseason, so maybe you have to start a new career to change them :(

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 257
  • detail1.jpg
    detail1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 281
  • detail2.jpg
    detail2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 245

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?