F1 2016 Modding Questions Thread

Hi, anybody with coding knowledge can be bothered? I'm trying to lock the steering wheel movements, it'll be a great addition to my remove hands mod: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/remove-hands.11689/

I've been looking at driver steering animations inside incardriver.erp, the problem is I don't know how to modify them and I'm not sure if it's possible to stop the wheel movements at all. I can't remove the steering wheel completely without causing the car to disappear, maybe someone can come up with a solution?

Any kind of help is appreciated, thanks

Hi all,

I've tried searching to no avail. I'm a great lover of swapping drivers (and their helmets) around, as well as introducing new drivers in previous years games, was wondering if this is possible in F1 2016? And if so, does anybody have time to give me a brief few steps on how to do it?

Hi all,

I've tried searching to no avail. I'm a great lover of swapping drivers (and their helmets) around, as well as introducing new drivers in previous years games, was wondering if this is possible in F1 2016? And if so, does anybody have time to give me a brief few steps on how to do it?

Not tried this myself, but there is a Career Progression mod, which moves drivers around. Download that, and compare it to vanilla erps to see how it's donr

Aha, I'll have a look. Not interested in career mode, but if I can see how they do it I can change them round for quick races etc.

Aha, I'll have a look. Not interested in career mode, but if I can see how they do it I can change them round for quick races etc.
You can change helmets by editing the designs, there is a tutorial on the forum in an earlier page of this thread if I remember correctly.
To change the names you need to use the language editor

Hi, anybody with coding knowledge can be bothered? I'm trying to lock the steering wheel movements, it'll be a great addition to my remove hands mod: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/remove-hands.11689/

I've been looking at driver steering animations inside incardriver.erp, the problem is I don't know how to modify them and I'm not sure if it's possible to stop the wheel movements at all. I can't remove the steering wheel completely without causing the car to disappear, maybe someone can come up with a solution?

Any kind of help is appreciated, thanks
I'm no Java Script coder but from an IT view looking into it I'll try my best to help, export/rename(no ? in the file name) one of the files "driver_in_car_2016_"teamname".idfcontext=animset" via pkg files tab "replacing teamname with whatever team you select" to the desktop. Open it with notepad++ and delete the whole string with this in it "steering_steer"(line 21), save it, import it back and check to make sure it doesn't say "chunk cant be found" or something like that in ERP by selecting another pkg in the list and then back to the one you edited. Save and check with that team, if a success rinse and repeat with all other teams. I could look into it to find where it calls the steering wheel model, texture etc, do trial and error then delete the code but I would have to dig around to find it.

I'm no Java Script coder but from an IT view looking into it I'll try my best to help, export/rename(no ? in the file name) one of the files "driver_in_car_2016_"teamname".idfcontext=animset" via pkg files tab "replacing teamname with whatever team you select" to the desktop. Open it with notepad++ and delete the whole string with this in it "steering_steer"(line 21), save it, import it back and check to make sure it doesn't say "chunk cant be found" or something like that in ERP by selecting another pkg in the list and then back to the one you edited. Save and check with that team, if a success rinse and repeat with all other teams. I could look into it to find where it calls the steering wheel model, texture etc, do trial and error then delete the code but I would have to dig around to find it.
Ok, I did as you instructed, got the "chunk type is not supported" in the Erp archiver and endless loading screen in the game. I suppose that's not surprising since I got that message when previewing it after importing.

I probably did something wrong, do you manage to import it back without any problem? Will do more testing later, I need to verify my files first to make sure the game is clean from other mods. Thanks for answering

Ok, I did as you instructed, got the "chunk type is not supported" in the Erp archiver and endless loading screen in the game. I suppose that's not surprising since I got that message when previewing it after importing.

I probably did something wrong, do you manage to import it back without any problem? Will do more testing later, I need to verify my files first to make sure the game is clean from other mods. Thanks for answering
If you get that error "Chunk type is not supported" close out ERP Archiver, open the erp file again, import, check the file and save. A tip, close out the program anytime you import a .json file, it's a one time deal. I have no clue as to why. Yes I have been able to import it back without that error, this is how I've been managing my mod ;)

If you get that error "Chunk type is not supported" close out ERP Archiver, open the erp file again, import, check the file and save. A tip, close out the program anytime you import a .json file, it's a one time deal. I have no clue as to why. Yes I have been able to import it back without that error, this is how I've been managing my mod ;)
Finally did it after using notepad++, I used windows notepad on the first attempt:roflmao:. It seems like a trend in f1 2016, can't remove something without affecting other things. Now the steering wheel and the driver are nowhere to be seen (modded from clean game). Only need to get the full HUD (gears, rev lights, etc.) for cockpit view, I think someone managed it with a camera/view mod.

Even though it won't affect gameplay for those who prefer to drive without the wheel on screen, it is odd seeing cars in the replays without the drivers' head/helmets. Let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• 20160924221157_1.jpg
    20160924221157_1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 216
Finally did it after using notepad++, I used windows notepad on the first attempt:roflmao:. It seems like a trend in f1 2016, can't remove something without affecting other things. Now the steering wheel and the driver are nowhere to be seen (modded from clean game). Only need to get the full HUD (gears, rev lights, etc.) for cockpit view, I think someone managed it with a camera/view mod.

Even though it won't affect gameplay for those who prefer to drive without the wheel on screen, it is odd seeing cars in the replays without the drivers' head/helmets. Let me know your thoughts
Haha, notepad always causing headaches, I did the same thing when I first looked at the json files. Ghost F1 cars its not Halloween just yet :roflmao:. As for the cockpit view, in koeloe's mod support thread of "look at apex mod" he mentioned it. I tired editing the files but had not so much success, it was either only in cockpit view and no other view or had it in all views but had strange things happening. Koeloe's solution I think is better.

I have released ERP Archiver 4.4 to hopefully fix that issue of only being able to import a pkg file once. Try it out and let me know how it goes.

On a side note, I recommend Visual Studio Code for editing a lot of different file types like the json and xml files. It's free and open-source. Of course there's no problems with Notepad++ either.

Helmet Modding Guide
A̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ *http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f1-2016-modding-questions-thread.124753/page-5#post-2296103 <- We can now edit the helmets so the changes appear at long range*,
For this example, I will be just changing the top of Jenson Button's helmet to red, just to show you that it works

What you need:

1. Installing the Noesis Plugin
  • Once you've downloaded the plugin, move it to Noesis/plugins/python
  • It should now be good to run
2. Exporting the Texture File
  • Navigate to the helmet texture you want to edit. (They are found at Steam/steamapps/common/F12016/character_package/drivers/male) Jenson's Helmet is found here:View attachment 149659 You want to export the helmet_d.tga.mipmaps so in this example, right click jenson_button_d.tga.mipmaps and select export.
  • In the Export menu change the main output type from a tga to DDS and don't change the destination, then click export.
3. Editing the Texture
  • Open the exported texture (e.g. jenson_button_helmet_d.tgaout.dds) in your editing software
  • Once you have edited the texture, save it on your desktop or an easily accessible folderView attachment 149671 There is no need to rename your texture but make sure the DDS save settings are like this.
4. Hex Editing
  • You are going to need to remove the 128 byte dds header that is stored on the file (Don't worry if that didn't make any sense just copy what I do ;))
  • Open your Hex editor (e.g. HxD.exe)
  • Go to file, select open and find the .tgaout.dds you just saved
  • Select and delete the first 128 bytes (Up to and including the row 70)
  • View attachment 149672
  • Then save the file as the original in your drivers textures file in the F1 2016 game and overwrite the original (*MAKE A BACKUP FIRST*)View attachment 149673
4. Test it out In Game
  • Load up f1 2016 and do a quick race as your edited driver, I usually just jump in a one shot qualifying and look at the helmet. http://imgur.com/a/7r5dE

Thanks to users @Grazor, @realitychecked, @fluffydave and @aowzone for their contributions to f12016 modding!

Just to be sure, is the above way still the best (and easiest) way to mod a helmet? Have there been updates on the norsis script?

Thank,
Seby

I guess my intelligence is challenged here. I don't understand how I can import my TGA-Helmetfile into the game. Do I need to paint helmet_n.tga and helmet_s.tga as well for my design? If yes what colors should I use? Can you really just use EGO ERP Archiver now? It seems only to work with ERP Files so how do I change the bigger mipmaptexture-files?

Thanks for the help guys. I really would like to start my career soon but hopefully with my own helmet design.

I have an issue with EEA 4.4 and previous version too when i try to import a new file for team_decal_2016_01_d.tga in garagecrew.erp. it ask me if i want to overwrite the mipmap file and then i have the message error: EEA stop working.... I hav this issue with some other files like team_manor_tablet_01_d.tga

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%