F1 2016 Modding Questions Thread

Probably need to edit all the sizes? Game draws different ones at different distances maybe..

I checked the mipmaps, they're all modified. Any ideas where these other sizes can be found?

ARQXXbN.jpg

I checked the mipmaps, they're all modified. Any ideas where these other sizes can be found?

ARQXXbN.jpg
sounds like an alpha channel issue. They're clearly using RGB replacement like iRacing does.

So, are you able to pick his helmet for career mode and change the colors? Post your edited version, I'm betting the alpha channels just need to be repaired so that the decals don't change color.

Way to go! We were only guessing at the formats with the original Python script. Can you share your updated script? Perhaps we should do a tutorial for folks so they know how to edit textures with Noesis and the F1 2016 .py plugin!
I'll do a step by step guide once I get permission from @Grazor

Sry, I threw those infos out asap, so you guys can get started. I knew about the mipmaps problem, but had to leave the PC.
I will look into it. I replaced Kimis helmet with an completely different texture and still get his old one in the distance. Im not sure where the game gets the textures from, yet.

Do the file sizes still need to be the same as the original?
No, only the right format.

I'll do a step by step guide once I get permission from @Grazor
You dont need my permission for that.^^ Go ahead. But we still have to solve that problem.

I will look into it. I replaced Kimis helmet with an completely different texture and still get his old one in the distance. Im not sure where the game gets the textures from, yet..

Same problem here. Also I have the problem when I change the base color of the Renault for example to darker yellow, or red, I get in some occasions that there comes a dark glow on the side of the car. Sometimes the color is also how it should be without any glow.

When I change colors from decals I get a problem that they don't appear good. Also I have that sizes are not correct anymore. Like the little reset buttons on the nose, just ahead of the cockpit become very big.

Helmet Modding Guide
A̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ *http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f1-2016-modding-questions-thread.124753/page-5#post-2296103 <- We can now edit the helmets so the changes appear at long range*,
For this example, I will be just changing the top of Jenson Button's helmet to red, just to show you that it works

What you need:

1. Installing the Noesis Plugin
  • Once you've downloaded the plugin, move it to Noesis/plugins/python
  • It should now be good to run
2. Exporting the Texture File
  • Navigate to the helmet texture you want to edit. (They are found at Steam/steamapps/common/F12016/character_package/drivers/male) Jenson's Helmet is found here:
    Noesis.png
    You want to export the helmet_d.tga.mipmaps so in this example, right click jenson_button_d.tga.mipmaps and select export.
  • In the Export menu change the main output type from a tga to DDS and don't change the destination, then click export.
3. Editing the Texture
  • Open the exported texture (e.g. jenson_button_helmet_d.tgaout.dds) in your editing software
  • Once you have edited the texture, save it on your desktop or an easily accessible folder
    settings.png
    There is no need to rename your texture but make sure the DDS save settings are like this.
4. Hex Editing
  • You are going to need to remove the 128 byte dds header that is stored on the file (Don't worry if that didn't make any sense just copy what I do ;))
  • Open your Hex editor (e.g. HxD.exe)
  • Go to file, select open and find the .tgaout.dds you just saved
  • Select and delete the first 128 bytes (Up to and including the row 70)
  • hex.png
  • Then save the file as the original in your drivers textures file in the F1 2016 game and overwrite the original (*MAKE A BACKUP FIRST*)
    save.png
4. Test it out In Game
  • Load up f1 2016 and do a quick race as your edited driver, I usually just jump in a one shot qualifying and look at the helmet. http://imgur.com/a/7r5dE

Thanks to users @Grazor, @realitychecked, @fluffydave and @aowzone for their contributions to f12016 modding!

Last edited:
I'm new to F1 2016 here and I heard it's files are very different from F1 2014. I wanna know how to change the driver's nationalities (coz I already know how to change names except the 2 Nicos and 2 Felipes plz help me with that too), Car's performances, and also how to make drivers switch teams (e.g Button to Williams)

Helmet Modding Guide
At the moment the changes only appear at close range, but it's still early days in modding this game so hopefully it can be figured out.
For this example, I will be just changing the top of Jenson Button's helmet to red, just to show you that it works

What you need:

• Installing the Noesis Plugin
  • Navigate to the helmet texture you want to edit. (They are found at Steam/steamapps/common/F12016/character_package/drivers/male) Jenson's Helmet is found here:View attachment 149659 You want to export the helmet_d.tga.mipmaps so in this example, right click jenson_button_d.tga.mipmaps and select export.
  • In the Export menu change the main output type from a tga to DDS and don't change the destination, then click export.
3. Editing the Texture
  • Open the exported texture (e.g. jenson_button_helmet_d.tgaout.dds) in your editing software
  • Once you have edited the texture, save it on your desktop or an easily accessible folderView attachment 149671 There is no need to rename your texture but make sure the DDS save settings are like this.
4. Hex Editing
  • You are going to need to remove the 128 byte dds header that is stored on the file (Don't worry if that didn't make any sense just copy what I do ;))
  • View attachment 149672
  • Then save the file as the original in your drivers textures file in the F1 2016 game and overwrite the original (*MAKE A BACKUP FIRST*)View attachment 149673
4. Test it out In Game
  • Load up f1 2016 and do a quick race as your edited driver, I usually just jump in a one shot qualifying and look at the helmet. http://imgur.com/a/7r5dE

Thank you for this
most problems I had with hex editor, because I did not knew exactly what I need to delete
but now I know

Helmet Modding Guide
At the moment the changes only appear at close range, but it's still early days in modding this game so hopefully it can be figured out.

What you need:

• Installing the Noesis Plugin
  • Navigate to the helmet texture you want to edit. (They are found at Steam/steamapps/common/F12016/character_package/drivers/male) Jenson's Helmet is found here:View attachment 149659 You want to export the helmet_d.tga.mipmaps so in this example, right click jenson_button_d.tga.mipmaps and select export.
3. Editing the Texture
  • Once you have edited the texture, save it on your desktop or an easily accessible folderView attachment 149671 There is no need to rename your texture but make sure the DDS save settings are like this.
4. Hex Editing
  • View attachment 149672
  • Then save the file as the original in your drivers textures file in the F1 2016 game and overwrite the original (*MAKE A BACKUP FIRST*)View attachment 149673
4. Test it out In Game
Very strange, I can't get Jenson's helmet to look like that, and neither of the rest of the field's helmets.
285fd4f360.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years