Resource icon

Tracks Donington Park 2.02

Login or Register an account to download this content
b695368b4c.jpg

Always liked how alive the pits on Donington looks........Thanks again.

Looks great! Thanks!

LODding does seem aggressive, in that this bug in VR is very apparent now on Donington: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...of-distant-objects-is-wrong-with-pp-on.34563/

I can highlight the objects that are the most noticeable if you would like? There is a tree noticeable from the hotlap spawn which you have to avoid looking at to prevent going cross eyed :cautious:

Unrelated: These things look a little off in some weather conditions.
w5JFjGm.jpg

Also, the 2d distant terrain in general has always had some baked in fog/haze which I think it would be better-off without, and left up to the game to add fog.

Seeing as you are planning a small update, it would be cool if you can make some changes to the ui_track.json to match kunos:
"tags" : ["circuit","Great Britain"],
"country": "Great Britain",

Country changed to match kunos UK tracks, and original tag makes sense to be reserved for kunos tracks IMO

also perhaps the "name" should include "Park" ?

Cheers!

Thanks for the update! Rating incoming (5/5 of course). Man i love that some of you guys add those rubber bits on the track in the corners. Make the tracks look sooooooo much more realistic. I wish Kunos start doing it on their tracks. :)

Pop-in fences inferno all over the first half of the track spoils the fun of testing this update somewhat. Glad to read it's going to be adressed. The rest of the circuit looks great though!

Looks great! Thanks!
UI changes already done. Must admit I always took the 'original' tag to mean non-fictitious but I see Kunos used it for BCC so guess I was wrong :)

Will take a look at those other graphics issues. The horizon/fog thing has been mentioned before so I should see if I can improve it, but it always felt like the default clearer weathers didn't have enough haze. Will see what I can do.

Figured out why I didn't notice the problems with the fences, it's only really apparent at 4x AA. I'd had mine set at 2x +FXAA and the transparency renders completely differently...

Screenshot_ks_nissan_gtr_gt3_doningtonpark_FenceTrans.jpg

At least now you have a choice between ugly AA or ugly pop-in while I work on fixing it. Still think reducing (or removing) the spec will help as well, that's not really looking like I hoped it would.

Figured out why I didn't notice the problems with the fences, it's only really apparent at 4x AA. I'd had mine set at 2x +FXAA and the transparency renders completely differently...

View attachment 155952

At least now you have a choice between ugly AA or ugly pop-in while I work on fixing it. Still think reducing (or removing) the spec will help as well, that's not really looking like I hoped it would.
There is also a way to not have the tree alphas go transparent like shown above. Do you use gimp or PS to make your textures?

There is also a way to not have the tree alphas go transparent like shown above. Do you use gimp or PS to make your textures?
PS CC with the Nvidia DDS tools. What's the trick?

I updated the 3D grass texture this time round and exported with the sharpening filter set to 'sharpen medium'. That was a huge improvement.

I updated the 3D grass texture this time round and exported with the sharpening filter set to 'sharpen medium'. That was a huge improvement.
That's why I asked gimp or PS. I'm on Gimp and it's a simple setting on the export. I haven't had a chance to sort out PS with nvidia plugin. I'll see if I can sort it out and will let you know.

Playing with PS a bit it seems DXT1 (1 bit alpha) is the trick. All other settings are default.

Here is a before and after

original texture
upload_2016-10-10_16-59-24.png

DXT1 1 bit alpha
upload_2016-10-10_16-58-53.png

Awesome update! The popping of fences and in about T3 you see the audience across the track pop in as well. If it could be set so they dont pop when track detail is on max, that would be great.

Thanks!

Awesome update! The popping of fences and in about T3 you see the audience across the track pop in as well. If it could be set so they dont pop when track detail is on max, that would be great.
Thanks. Can't have different LODs per detail level unfortunately, otherwise that would be a good solution. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix anyway, I just got a bit carried away with my optimisations. Hopefully 'unoptimising' it again won't noticeably affect performance.

Great update. Well done. Thank you :thumbsup:
Except the pop in textures I've noticed AI issues also. Stopping in the middle of the track at many places. :confused:
Hmm, not sure about that one. The only change to the physics was to modify the Esses on National so you can no longer get away with cutting completely over the red sausage kerb onto the concrete. That wouldn't explain why they're stopping in many places tho'.

Thanks. Can't have different LODs per detail level unfortunately, otherwise that would be a good solution. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix anyway, I just got a bit carried away with my optimisations. Hopefully 'unoptimising' it again won't noticeably affect performance.
Ah wow that was weird to hear. :O_o: Really thought world detail was exactly that. I did see a little (slight!) FPS drop at the start with about 18 AI cars and i dont see that on other tracks (AMD FX8350 4,2ghz, GTX980, 8GB ram), but seriously its not a biggie cause it goes away as soon as we start moving. The "drop" is juuuuust under the fluid 60FPS and like you say i dont think the fences and spectators will push it down any further.

Having a blast on the track. :) Thanks a lot for all the work and for sharing

Hmm, not sure about that one. The only change to the physics was to modify the Esses on National so you can no longer get away with cutting completely over the red sausage kerb onto the concrete. That wouldn't explain why they're stopping in many places tho'.
Areas like this can kill the AI in some cases.
Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_doningtonpark_11-10-116-9-57-37.jpg

There are a few ways to fix this. One is in the editor which is a nightmare. The other is to make sure any "offshoot" road outside the white line is named something like 01CONFINE with a CONFINE key in the surfaces.ini and the surface of course set to invalid.

Alternatively you can also make "confine" objects in your 3D program to block these passages. Here is an example of what I did for VIR.
confine.JPG

These are called 01CONFINE like mentioned above. They are made into a special kn5 that you only turn on when recording the AI line. After you are done you can remove them and the AI will work fine. I also suggest setting the pit lane as invalid or putting one of these objects to block it off during recording.

One KEY thing about AI is they do not give a damn about walls. They rely on that red boundry line to control where they go. If the red line goes behind the wall for example they will think they can go there and slam into the wall. As stupid as it sounds the AI recording process does not account for walls in any way. It only sees invalid surfaces as the boundry.

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I can make the track boundaries more robust. All the service roads outside the track should already be invalid, but I guess there are gaps. I know what you mean about using the editor to fix it, tried that and lost patience very quickly.

Presumably the workflow for this is: export kn5 > record AI > load AI into editor > fix model > repeat?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies

Votes: 0 0.0%