Zandvoort Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Zandvoort 2.jpg

The Circuit Park Zandvoort has been released for rFactor 2.

Deployed to the simulation as a free addition from Studio 397, Zandvoort currently sits at an early 0.20 build status and as such remains a little bit away from what can be considered a full quality release candidate at this stage.

Due to form part of the next stage of 'World's Fastest Gamer' competition, the new track has been developed completely from scratch by Studio 397 and is released earlier than ideal in order to fit in with the next stage of the online competition.

Despite some obvious issues with the current state of the release, the track itself remains perfectly playable and Studio 397 have confirmed further developments will be coming in the near future.

You can download the track HERE.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation by Studio 397.

rFactor 2 Zandvoort 3.jpg

rFactor 2 Zandvoort.jpg

If you are a fan of rFactor 2 then you really need to visit our rFactor 2 sub forum, here you will be able to discuss the game with fellow enthusiasts, seek advice and guidance on many aspects of the sim and take part in some awesome club racing events in our newly re-launched rFactor 2 Racing Club. Go on, you know you want to....

What are your first impressions of the track? Are you impressed with this latest content addition? Let us know in the comments section below!

I hate this track for anything with downforce and/or a top speed over 200km/h. It's nearly impossible to pass and is basically a less-interesting version of the Hungaroring.

I have no idea why it keeps showing up in racing sims. Maybe the license is really cheap.

It is one of my favorite tracks, no racing sim should be without... :p
I had a version of the track already and this one seems to have the same base. Animated marshalls replaced the static ones, some rescue cars, a parked helicopter and all waving ad flags are gone. Some trees have been removed or replaced (good thing the palm trees in turn 6 are gone) and scenery outside the track looks somewhat better. Some spectators have been added.
The track surface is darker and lacks visual rubber but my biggest gripe is that there is always a shadow (like of a cloud) proceeding you at about 50 meters in front. It darkens grass / armco barriers / marshall towers etc. Really disturbing.
FPS count is roughly the same, as are the AI.
I hope this gets updated soon.

Not sure why there are so many negative comments about something that is released for free? You don't have to drive/install it. Just don't subscribe to it in the steam workshop.

It is still a 0.2 version and I think it was explained why they released it so early. For a 0.2 version this is already very drivable.

I just tried the USF2000 on this track and it is a blast to drive that car on this track.:) Quite a few corners where you can drive the car on its limit, being able to catch/correct oversteer.

Thanks Studio397 for releasing another great free track. :)

I hate this track for anything with downforce and/or a top speed over 200km/h. It's nearly impossible to pass and is basically a less-interesting version of the Hungaroring.

I have no idea why it keeps showing up in racing sims. Maybe the license is really cheap.
Actually I think this is one of my fav circuits and I'm loving the layout for a looong time now.
The track really shines with smaller cars, like USF2000, Radicals, old F1, Dtm... The combination with De Tomaso Pantera was a blast in GTL, was my favorite combination for a long time.
For some reason I feel comfortable with prototypes on this track too. Not too wide and not too narrow. And those elevation changes are lovely.

I started off with some bizarre VR issues on the first couple of runs with this track (not experienced before), but magically the 3rd run and it was just fine. Not really a track I've paid much attention to in the past, may give it more time in the future but there's recently been a batch of DX11 Upgraded Tracks (3 Aussie ones!) that have grabbed my attention more.

Releasing an early build of a track?? Really?

They had to as it's used in the Worlds Fastest Gamer Competition with McLaren, as long as it works (which it does) then it's fine. Sure a Dev Team releasing a Beta Track isn't really the "norm" and something I hope doesn't become a trend personally, but I can understand the reason in this situation.

0.2, 0.8 0.9.0b...are just numbers nothing else, I think it is a superb track and a good start, the only lack are more level and a less smooth track has some passage, It works at studio397 and it is good for rf2 !!
A great free licence track thank you to them:thumbsdown:

You just get scratch-made track for free from team that people obviously think's they do all this with only hope's and dream's, and what you see mostly? Whining whining whining... Jeesus criest. Great track with right car's, feel's great on the best sim out there, first time really loving to drive Zandvoort, and the reason is RF2. Of course most of the whiner's go to drive there with F1's or something like that and say it's bad and wrong and blaa blaa blaa... Wonder why? Does F1 fit to Zandvoort in real life today with their high downforce " you gotta go average plus million-mph's per lap " A bit different thing in the past with mostly mechanical stuff when there was more meaning for the driver, not just... Set your wing's, put stickiest tyre's and same old all blaaah's like always and go flatout with million-mp/h's, and wonder why the race's are dull. It's the combination's on every track, should keep that in mind and think about the real world when doing thing's in sim... If you want to mess around, wait for PC2 and go drive with Formula-A on snowy Monaco during night. Maybe sim's are not for you...

I tested out the track last night and while it is mostly finished there are still a few rough edges that will need to be addressed for it to be the complete product. It leaves me with a very similar feeling to that which I had when the Radical was released - a very good but not quite a finished product.

I know they primarily released the track for the WFG competition and generally RF2 has gone in the right direction since S397 took it on but I think they need to make sure that they are releasing things (paid or not) that properly represent them and the game. The Radical is still awaiting an update to sort out some of the glaring problems, how long will Zandvoort remain a nearly finished track too?

I think it's a thrilling circuit to drive fast. A lot of the 1960s track is still in this one, which is rare.
There is probably only one overtaking spot at turn one, so better than Hungaroring!

It's a great addition to the sim and as always it's nice to see S397 has big ambitions for rF2, but it seems they are unnecessary rushing with new and still unfinished content.

In my opinion they could have just used another track for McLaren's WFG competition.

Visually is as a 0.2 beta. Bad. But its ok and acceptable.
Meshing i was expecting a bit more bumpy especially after playing back to back AC's version (which is not laserscanned BTW). So i am not sure.

Mclaren got an update (1.03) and i found her to be much better and less (almost zero) floaty than before.
I would like to be even more less forgiving over the limit but overall it's a nice combo.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 350 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 484 39.0%