the water oil and petrol don't seam to be working even though i added the lines in the ini files, i'll look into that later

If you mean water and oil temps, they are not simulated in AC so that's probably the reason them not working. Fuel level should work though. But then again, I know pretty much nothing about modding and could be wrong.

water temp is now working, just the oil pressure isn't simulated, so the arrow is static.
Petrol is working good now as well (i had naming issues...) and it's all calibrated by hand :p so full is full and empty shows empty, water is calibrated very roughly as i couldn't show the water temp, i need an app ingame for that.
Warning light for petrol i haven't done yet.

thanks @NightEye87 !
i had fun with the suspensions.ini

7mod_20160828164929_1.jpg

Screenshot_caterham_sprint_ks_brands_hatch_28-8-116-16-55-57.jpg

Screenshot_caterham_sprint_ks_brands_hatch_28-8-116-17-34-31.jpg

but now it's working ok. The graphic offset only works with the width of the car, not length (if i understood correctly)
i also matched a little more the height with pictures of my car, so a little wider at the back, a little lower as well, looking good!
As for the distance between front and back, i played with both WHEELBASE and CG_LOCATION. Took me a dozen back and forth ingame... because the editor for suspension doesn't include the model!

edit
ref:
IMG_3157.jpg

ok the angle is different, but maybe i went too low on the back
anyway it's a good start for now.. To be tweaked later together with the physics/suspensions!

Haha that must've been fun! :roflmao:

Well, COG location is the distribution between the wheels, so if you set that + the wheelbase to the real life numbers, you can then adjust the car's body (if needed) via the graphics offset. Suspension is another ball game, and takes some skill to figure it all out. There is a ton of information at hand, but if you need any help I'd advice to ask one of the physics guru's, as it can all become a bit blurry at some point.

Hey there, it's joker time again....
because i'm tired to look for things, and nothing comes up remotely useful, oorr that i am simply not very bright :D
here is the shame list
  1. the mirror part... i mapped the MIRROR_PLACEMENT.png they give, but i never found anything about what kind of material are you supposed to do in KsEditor, so as a result i just see the map in the game...
  2. that damn driver. I deleted all the old files, i managed to change position of the guy, exported the driver position through driver_base_pos.knh which worked, i now see the driver in position, but how about the ksanim ? How do i create these ?
  3. About changing gears, do i have to animate manually with the driver template .fbx? Is there a guide anywhere... do i need to remove the auto keys from the steering and start with the position in the frame 0 ? Lot of questions here, + how to get ksanim again :)
and because i also succeeded in stuff
here is the proud list
  1. collider updated and feeling great
  2. i did an early unwrap of the car! Still needs cleaning here and there, but good start already
Not much screen shot to show this time! But if i manage all the above... that would be great!!

Inside the mirrors.ini, have the following:
Code:
[MIRROR_0]
NAME=Auto_Union_Type_D:mirrors
Where the NAME is the object name. It should automatically replace the texture by the rendered mirror texture.

For driver animations, there are a few great templates available.
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/custom-steering-animation-rig-1-7.18201/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/bone-animation-rig-blender.34594/

Changing gears would require you to animate the hand movement, yes. But with either of these templates that should be fairly easy.

Congrats on the proud list :D

ehe, that was quick, thanks!!
here is to the proud list !
7mod_20160830222211_1.jpg

i guess it's the same story to hide the driver from the view
with all the "[HIDE_OBJECT_0]" name = etc.

i have an additional question i forgot...:D
about the new camera without the steering they added with one patch, the caterham academy is missing it, how can i edit it ? I added the debug mod, camera editor and all, but can't seem to do anything about that specific one... see screen below

7mod_20160830222230_1.jpg

edit:
bonus teaser
scr7g.PNG

thanks again!

I believe car cameras are hard coded into the kn5 file, so they can't be altered legally. You can always change the eye position forward and save that :) (not sure if that's a dev app? I don't think. If so, enable the dev apps through some ini file in the cfg folder - can never remember which one)

UV map is looking good sofar!

In doubt, I guess you can backup your cockpit cam coordinates, then use the camera app to place it as the you'd wish on the dash camera and save in the \data\cameras.ini. Then just copy those coords to \data\dash_cam.ini (check the formula K for sample file), and restore your original cockpit position.
Also check Formula K's driver3d.ini for the current object names to hide face and helmet in cockpit view.

Edit: Oh, there's a Save Dash now. Doesn't it store the camera position right to dash_cam.ini?

Last edited:
the save dash, i actually used the save cameras on the cam editor (and yes it is the dev app:)), it works, for other cameras... i edited some and saved, reloaded the game and it was good.
Except for that particular one like the screenshot i put, the up/down/left etc. don't do a single thing... it's really weird

Possibly you're not supposed to move that camera ingame even when using dev apps. So to set it up, I guess you must use instead the cockpit cam to position it and then press Save Dash, so it replaces dash_cam.ini contents.

Else, just position one of them as you wish for dash on the dev camera app (back it up first), save, and copy it's position and exposure to dash_cam.ini.

Last edited:
Use the onboard settings app that you use to save the driver's eyes position. There is a button there for saving the dash cam. Pressing it will create a new file called dash_cam.ini if one is not already present. That should sort your undercarriage-cam issue.

ok guys, don't know which thing worked, but i did fix the camera
so thank you!
Little status update
  • steer anim is on :p but not perfect
    the animation rig 1.7 @NightEye87 gave is awesome, the guy did an incredible job for the community. His model is easily 190cm, my car looks ridiculously small aha
  • physics are being worked on by a helpful member!
  • Fonsecker sound being tested
  • mapping upgraded
Feels like it's getting there :)
thanks for the support guys

My favorite part so far is that this project hasn't dragged on for a full year with much hype and half-cocked results. Already better than the other one.

aphidgod: the other one being Academy right? It was made by fkkamil, he did a lot of work on it but such project is hardly work for just one person. What you see is what you get. He published it and moved on, did not develop it more as far as I know.

I've spent a lot of time on gathering data and making R400 but in the end when I saw the state in which AC was and that it is not able to simulate properly some of the mechanics I've kind of had it with AC and Kunos, lack of tools and AC features and took a looong break from AC. I've only posted my own progress in the Academy thread just as other people who have their own modifications of the Academy mod. I was clear that it's my own WIP, not fkkamil's. But I guess people still boarded the hype train.

Ben has my R400 and I've already found some data for the Caterham he wants to make first.

That brings me to: Are there any more tools from Kunos for making mods? Especially for physics, suspension visualization, aerodynamics calculations, ... the non trivial stuff. I know things can change in a year and there are some new features in AC but maybe not for physics.

It's not really a problem to make a car mod config wise in a day but it's going to be far far off from realistic and well tuned to drive well.

The model that is being made first is a Caterham Super Sprint 1700cc, which Ben confirmed should be this one from what I found:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1995/337070/caterham_super_seven_1700_super_sprint.html

The engine should be Ford Cosworth Kent Crossflow BDR 1690-1701cc, cca 135bhp. We may have a dyno of this engine rebuilt to about 145bhp.

What I do miss is suspension data for this specific model. I have some for the R400 and Caterhams are similar but of course if someone can find or measure this specific model then we can make it more realistic. Dimensions of the suspension arms joint to join, pretty much distances between all the joints in the suspension including steering. We will try checking with real car owners and Caterham forums to find what we can, some data is available even if hard to find such as spring or damper rates. Really anything that fits the model helps that anyone can find.

Of course things are much easier for Kunos or someone who owns the car/has access to the car being simulated and can measure the things necessary, can bother the manufacturer for data even if they may be reluctant to share even with Kunos all the things.

Did Kunos finally publish tyre model V10 specs and made street and semislick tyres in V10? Or is it still stuck at V7?

Also anyone know why Tyre Tester app crashes when opened? It does it on stock Kunos cars too such as Lotus Exige not just my Catheram mods. Am I back to reporting 1 bug a day of playing AC to Kunos again, I hope not lol.

Small update:

started working out the suspensions, and hopefully meeting a caterham owner next week for some proper measurements
SuspensionsTxt.png

and a tryout of long wings in 3D :p
scr7h.PNG

scr7i.PNG

and a reminder, if anyone can help mister JackCY with all his questions above, he's the one taking good care of the physics!

That brings me to: Are there any more tools from Kunos for making mods? Especially for physics, suspension visualization, aerodynamics calculations, ... the non trivial stuff. I know things can change in a year and there are some new features in AC but maybe not for physics.
As far as I know nothing really changed. You've got the suspension editor for a while now, the ingame dev apps, etc. Aero calculations can be done with flow software, but usually there is some data laying around on the web.
There is also a good work sheet for suspension design. I believe by felipe..? Obviously you'd need the measurements pictured above, too.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back