Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Most annoying was the heat wave we're getting. 29 degrees, we're not really prepared for that kind of heat here. I went from "everything looks so clear!" to "I can't see anything because of the fog" and it just because impossible,

I've found this works well for fog.

With my Index that has perforations in the back my rig's fan blowing air through it seems to work very well. I'm not sure if a G2 has any space for air to blow through it.

I've found this works well for fog.

With my Index that has perforations in the back my rig's fan blowing air through it seems to work very well. I'm not sure if a G2 has any space for air to blow through it.
No it doesn't. I was thinking I should stick some tubes in the top to let heat out.
I meant to ask about the anti fog. I have some wipes for glasses. Using them wouldn't damage the lenses, there's no coating on them?

No it doesn't. I was thinking I should stick some tubes in the top to let heat out.
I meant to ask about the anti fog. I have some wipes for glasses. Using them wouldn't damage the lenses, there's no coating on them?

I used anti-fog wipes on my Rift CV1. They worked, but not very long. They also put off a pretty strong odor. The stuff I linked to appears to last a lot longer. However I've had much less of an issue with fog since I got the Index.

I've never had an issue using anti-fog wipes or sprays. I believe it is common practice with VR gear.

@Turk I remember that the g2 had a pretty good seal and I replaced it fairly quickly with a different one. The new one has no fogging issues as it has airflow for fans - it will fog up without fans for sure though.

Are you blowing any air on yourself? I couldnt deal with lower temps sim racing for too long without air, not just for fog but body heat buildup :)

@Turk I remember that the g2 had a pretty good seal and I replaced it fairly quickly with a different one. The new one has no fogging issues as it has airflow for fans - it will fog up without fans for sure though.

Are you blowing any air on yourself? I couldnt deal with lower temps sim racing for too long without air, not just for fog but body heat buildup :)
I have a fan pointing at me and it works OK, my main issue is just the heat trapped in the headset, my eyeballs are sweating at this point.

It should get better, I'm just not used to heat, it takes me a while to adjust. This weather kind of gets sprung on us in Ireland because it stays cloudy and windy then all of sudden those two things disappear and we've got a heat wave.

I wouldn't say this card is a magic bullet for VR. I could get the G2 running at native resolution but it was choppy. I kept reducing settings until I was almost back at the 2070 settings and it just couldn't keep a steady frame rate. I was beginning to panic a bit that the card was a complete flop.

I followed this guide and got good performance with a good image, I'll play around and see if I can up those settings bit.

Most annoying was the heat wave we're getting. 29 degrees, we're not really prepared for that kind of heat here. I went from "everything looks so clear!" to "I can't see anything because of the fog" and it just because impossible, I'm playing under a steel roof essentially so it's like a sauna.
Fired up Red Dead 2 cranked everything up to max and was just about able to maintain 60fps at 4K.
Did you check if your 3080 was at full load?
Sounds like a CPU limit... Or is it because of the native resolution AND raising settings?

You could try some undervolting to get more performance. I gained fps in ACC with undervolting since the 3080 completely hangs in the power limit in ACC.
So check your real core clock while driving and check if you can get a more stable and higher core clock with a bit of undervolting!

In games where the 3080 isn't constantly close to max load, undervolting makes my 3080 consume between 80-130W less power. Definitely good for the room temperature!

Did you check if your 3080 was at full load?
Sounds like a CPU limit... Or is it because of the native resolution AND raising settings?

You could try some undervolting to get more performance. I gained fps in ACC with undervolting since the 3080 completely hangs in the power limit in ACC.
So check your real core clock while driving and check if you can get a more stable and higher core clock with a bit of undervolting!

In games where the 3080 isn't constantly close to max load, undervolting makes my 3080 consume between 80-130W less power. Definitely good for the room temperature!
I will look into undervolting. When I look at CPU usage it doesn't seem to go that high, I have a 8086K running at 4.8ghz.

I will look into undervolting. When I look at CPU usage it doesn't seem to go that high, I have a 8086K running at 4.8ghz.
CPU usage is useless to see what's the bottleneck.
Only the graphics card load tells you if it's a graphics card limit... Or the cpu.
CPU means CPU+RAM ofc.

CPU usage is useless to see what's the bottleneck.
Only the graphics card load tells you if it's a graphics card limit... Or the cpu.
CPU means CPU+RAM ofc.
I have 32gb of ram, that might influence that number so. I was a bit surprised to see that CPU usage was so low.

I have 32gb of ram, that might influence that number so. I was a bit surprised to see that CPU usage was so low.
Hehe no no, the size doesn't matter at all. Only the speed! And not for all games.

AC only uses 2 big CPU threads and a little one (and a lot of very very small ones).
ACC uses about 1 CPU thread more.

If you would look into one single CPU cycle, you would see one CPU thread at 100% load, another one at 80-99% and the little one causing a third core to be at 30-50%.
And then you would see a little bit of load on all other cores from Windows etc.

But you have 4.800.000.000 CPU cycles per second and Windows moves the load dynamically across all cores. So it looks like your CPU would have a lot of headroom with no core being at high loads.

But as I said, if you'd zoom into a single CPU cycle, you would see 1-2 cores completely maxed out.

Since we don't have a tool that has a refresh cycle of 1/4.800.000.000 second, we can't see a CPU limit.

With graphics cards it's luckily a lot easier. If they are the bottleneck, the load is definitely higher than 95%.
The 95% are a bit weird. Some games can't fully utilize the latest GPUs so the maximum possible load varies a little.

A good way to measure the headrooms is by measuring the CPU and GPU frametimes.
Oculus tray tool can show you the graphs in your headset.

Example:
You want 90 fps. That's 1s/90 per frame = 11.11 ms
You always have one frame buffered so the CPU and the GPU could theoretically take 11.10 ms and the image would be fluid.

Now if you measure the CPU and GPU frametimes and it looks like this:
CPU = 10 ms
GPU = 8 ms
If you get some fps drops, you'll know it's more likely that the CPU is the issue.

AC for example is 7-10 ms on the CPU, while my 3080 at 3440x1440 only takes 2-4 ms.

I hope that clears up a few things :)

In the end it's pretty simple: If your graphics card isn't at 90-100%, it's something else, most likely just the CPU performance.

CPU Performance includes ram speed. But ram is only a very little part of the cpu frametime part.

It can also be:
- fps limiter
- vsync
- VR headset thinking you won't have enough headroom and going into reprojection

I'll have to check all that again. I just used the frame timing in steam, once I was below the 11ms and was getting no red lines I was happy enough with the result. I think there's more to get out of it though.

I feel sorry for you guys still waiting.. We may pay a bit above the odds in New Zealand with currency conversion etc but I can walk in to my store less than 10 mins away and they have over 100 3080ti's and more 3080's. Tons of 3090's as well because they are wickedly expensive here, I cant see them rushing out the door.

I feel sorry for you guys still waiting.. We may pay a bit above the odds in New Zealand with currency conversion etc but I can walk in to my store less than 10 mins away and they have over 100 3080ti's and more 3080's. Tons of 3090's as well because they are wickedly expensive here, I cant see them rushing out the door.
I'm not sure we even have any physical shops that sell pc parts in the UK anymore! Certainly not ones that have hundreds of anything.

Yes, our GPUs were like that a while back.. I got my 3080 back in december last year. I 'only' paid $1480 nzd without our tax component , thats about 740gbp

They certainly cost more now, 2250nzd for the same asus tuf oc 3080 but plenty of supply. An EVGA 3080ti ftw says 30+ in stock and is ~1180gbp without our tax component.

We generally pay more than the states, I cant remember exactly but I think about 1.6x the usd price.

Yes, our GPUs were like that a while back.. I got my 3080 back in december last year. I 'only' paid $1480 nzd without our tax component , thats about 740gbp

They certainly cost more now, 2250nzd for the same asus tuf oc 3080 but plenty of supply. An EVGA 3080ti ftw says 30+ in stock and is ~1180gbp without our tax component.

We generally pay more than the states, I cant remember exactly but I think about 1.6x the usd price.
The more I read this thread, the more I realise how extremely lucky I was to find a 3080 in November 2020. One of only 5 cards that were snapped up online in 5 minutes. I paid €983 and thought I'd been a bit ripped off, as the price was nearly €200 over the list price. I realised what luck I'd had as the price went up to €2400 a few months later :)

• Deleted member 197115

I got Hybrid 3080 and Hybrid 3080Ti from EVGA queue under MSRP with associate code discount. But this is US, queue moves quicker here.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 45 30.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 51 34.5%