Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

• Deleted member 197115

Last edited by a moderator:
Chinese crypto miners have started dumping used GPUs on Xianyu, owned by Alibaba.
Chinese provincial governments have targeted the broader crypto mining sector
by ordering power plants to cut their supplies to "virtual currency mining" farms.

As of July, half the world’s bitcoin miners have now gone dark
following Beijing’s call for a severe crackdown on bitcoin mining and trading.

Chinese crypto miners have started dumping used GPUs on Xianyu, owned by Alibaba.
Chinese provincial governments have targeted the broader crypto mining sector
by ordering power plants to cut their supplies to "virtual currency mining" farms.

As of July, half the world’s bitcoin miners have now gone dark
following Beijing’s call for a severe crackdown on bitcoin mining and trading.
Does anyone know the market share of GPUs going to miners? Is it more than 10%. It would be interesting to know what impact this has to depend.

We still don't have good 30 series availability, so let's talk about what's likely about a year away!

What are the odds that 2 years from now people will still be still be waiting to get a copy of a 40 series card? According to this article the GPU shortage will last for the rest of this year possibly through 2022 as well :(

So in 2022 we are expecting to see the RTX 40XX series (codename Ada Lovelace) with 5nm tech vs. current 8nm tech.

"Leaks are suggesting an increase of more than 7500 CUDA cores over the GA102 (3090, 3080) chip. Almost double GPC – Graphics Processing Clusters, from 7 to 12 and 30 more TPC – Texture Processing Clusters. For those uninitiated, this is a huge bump in specifications, considering that the Ampere chip has an increase of just 1 GPC over the Turing 102 chip.

With all of these numbers in mind, it is speculated that the chip could deliver more than 65 TeraFLOPS which again, is double than what the best from Ampere can deliver."

Last edited:
We still don't have good 30 series availability, so let's talk about what's likely about a year away!
CCL has had cards in stock all weekend and they aren't sold out yet. It may be they held onto stock for a while. But it does look like supply is coming through.

It wouldn't surprise me that by the time the 40xx series comes along Nvidia will have so much production capacity and a customer base that isn't in the mood to buy all over again, they could end up over supplying the cards with reduced interest.

CCL has had cards in stock all weekend and they aren't sold out yet. It may be they held onto stock for a while. But it does look like supply is coming through.

It wouldn't surprise me that by the time the 40xx series comes along Nvidia will have so much production capacity and a customer base that isn't in the mood to buy all over again, they could end up over supplying the cards with reduced interest.

I hope so!

What is CCL?

Hmmm... TWICE the performance of the 3090, but 450-550W TDP !!!!! Wow!

Suddenly my 1200W PS in my gaming computer seems more appropriate.

FWIW I "assumed" that when they went to 5nm that they were going to split the difference and get more performance(typical 30%), but also drop the power demands. Well..... throw that out the window!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

EVGA 3080 is already 450W with XOC Bios and 3080Ti has 450W limit out of the box. (both need 3 8-pin PCI-E power connectors).
Are we looking at 4 PCI-E connectors on new cards (8-pin PCI-E limit is 150W)? This is insane.

• Deleted member 197115

Some Port Royal benchmarks 3080 vs 3080Ti
3080 Stock
1626314700769.png

3080 OCed (XOC BIOS 450W limit)
1626314764129.png

3080Ti Stock
1626314849796.png

3080Ti OCed (same memory and clock offset as 3080)
1626320502134.png

3080Ti throttling down on power limit during run, stock max is 450W but it can do easily 500W as there is some room left, may be we can see some XOC Bios in the future. Still 1.5K jump in Port Royal score is not too shabby.

I mean if someone really needs the performance, fair enough.
I undervolted my 3080, depending on the game gained or lost a few fps but overall I am really glad to only have a 200-250W heater in my room instead of constant 300W+.

But I know that electricity is expensive in Germany and that other countries often have air conditioning so I guess others just don't care :p

Finally! 3080 in the machine. It was a tight squeeze, I thought it wasn't going to fit for a second. Will set up the rig at the weekend, can't wait to see what ACC looks like at the G2s native resolution and with some bells and whistles turned on.
Hopefully the power supply holds up.

3080.jpg

I wouldn't say this card is a magic bullet for VR. I could get the G2 running at native resolution but it was choppy. I kept reducing settings until I was almost back at the 2070 settings and it just couldn't keep a steady frame rate. I was beginning to panic a bit that the card was a complete flop.

I followed this guide and got good performance with a good image, I'll play around and see if I can up those settings bit.

Most annoying was the heat wave we're getting. 29 degrees, we're not really prepared for that kind of heat here. I went from "everything looks so clear!" to "I can't see anything because of the fog" and it just because impossible, I'm playing under a steel roof essentially so it's like a sauna.
Fired up Red Dead 2 cranked everything up to max and was just about able to maintain 60fps at 4K.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 131 85.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 53 34.6%