Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Starts out with, "The 4080" will make the 3080 look like an entry level GPU. Great for people who waited a year to get a 3080!
"May be available in 3rd Qtr 2022" we'll see....

Now we need to define what "available" actually means.....

Can't wait for the new 2500€ GPUs in separate cases with separate psu :roflmao: :whistling:

Yup!

1631028479197.png

And when you're actually playing, the scene has much more depth. When you're passing that tree, the shadows evolve more realistically than the normal shadows.

Exactly... RT comes into its own as you move through a scene and the lighting transitions accordingly. You need to see it "in motion" for the full effect to become apparent.

• Deleted member 197115

Speaking of RayTracing, have you guys seen this? :confused:

The only GPU I am remotely interested in, is Intel's top-of-the-line ARC skew.
I think it will be enough for what I am doing in WMR.
That all obviously hinges on price and availability.
The way I see it... I just needed a small bit of reserve from my previous GTX1080Ti.
That should satisfy my need, given it is supposed to be 20-35% faster in pure rasterization.

People called me crazy to spend 839€ on a tuf 3080 in April.
Best hardware decision of my life yet lol

Your crazy! You would appreciate your card more if you spent more on it :p

I wonder if there will be any way to preorder a 40 series card at a reasonable cost when they are released. I'm betting it may not be an easy thing to do.

So.....

It looks like my next VR headset will likely be over $1K and my next video card will be well over $1K and my next computer will upgrade will be well over 1K. Let's just say that the next upgrade for VR will end up at $4-5K at this point. So much for VR for the masses any time soon unless you get a subsidized stand alone system from Meta.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Your crazy! You would appreciate your card more if you spent more on it :p

I wonder if there will be any way to preorder a 40 series card at a reasonable cost when they are released. I'm betting it may not be an easy thing to do.

So.....

It looks like my next VR headset will likely be over $1K and my next video card will be well over $1K and my next computer will upgrade will be well over 1K. Let's just say that the next upgrade for VR will end up at $4-5K at this point.
EVGA queue, got 3080 and 3080Ti from there, under MSRP with associate discount. But you have to be patient, signing up when preorder opens is a nightmare, their web site can't handle the traffic, could easily take an hour to get through.

EVGA queue, got 3080 and 3080Ti from there, under MSRP with associate discount. But you have to be patient, signing up when preorder opens is a nightmare, their web site can't handle the traffic, could easily take an hour to get through.
Good recommendation. I've always purchased EVGA products. So beat down the door when they first open them for preorder and wait........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I've currently got my name in for a i9-12900K notification from a reputable company at a reasonable price. Just waiting patiently for now. I'm not anxious about it.

I could buy the motherboard right now, but that is about it. DDR5 memory isn't available and certainly not 6400 MHz memory. So while I'm interested in buying, I guess I'll be waiting a while.

Last edited:
I thought this might be worth seeing for some.

Basically the new NVMe 3/4 Gen SSD's have only a just barely noticeable speed difference over regular SATA III SSD's for the initial load of a game only and none during game play. So save your money if you are focusing on gaming performance.

I'm thinking more and more about just upgrading my Dev Box with an i7-12900K a reasonable MB and DDR4 memory and just waiting until the 40 series GPU's are out to do my gaming computer.

Looks like I can do that for about $800 all together with 32Gb of 3600 DDR4 memory and a decent but not for overclocking Gigabyte motherboard and everything is available now. I can pass my i9-9900K MB down to my daughter next Fall maybe along with the 2080Ti if I can get a 40 series card.

Last edited:
People called me crazy to spend 839€ on a tuf 3080 in April.
Best hardware decision of my life yet lol
I managed to get mine for €750 but I was lucky that overclockers honoured the original prices. I think I waited something like 7 months on a list and spent the whole time waiting for the day overclockers would call it a day and cancel all the pre orders. I'd say they lost a lot of money over all the problems. The genuine sellers got a rough deal.

That was my first time spending a lot of money on a brand new card. Usually I pick a middle of the road card and haven't been interested in being an early adopter. I won't be going through that again, I can only imagine it's going to be worse the next time as more people try and jump on the scalping wagon. Seems like the next few years will have a lot of new stuff coming out and I really don't care how much faster it is at this point. The buying experience isn't worth it.

I can't see myself investing in a major PC upgrade until the VR resolution war has worked itself out, which looks like it's not that far off. Sim racing in VR is the only thing driving my desire for more PC power. Outside of that my current PC can handle anything I throw at it with ease.

I managed to get mine for €750 but I was lucky that overclockers honoured the original prices. I think I waited something like 7 months on a list and spent the whole time waiting for the day overclockers would call it a day and cancel all the pre orders. I'd say they lost a lot of money over all the problems. The genuine sellers got a rough deal.

That was my first time spending a lot of money on a brand new card. Usually I pick a middle of the road card and haven't been interested in being an early adopter. I won't be going through that again, I can only imagine it's going to be worse the next time as more people try and jump on the scalping wagon. Seems like the next few years will have a lot of new stuff coming out and I really don't care how much faster it is at this point. The buying experience isn't worth it.

I can't see myself investing in a major PC upgrade until the VR resolution war has worked itself out, which looks like it's not that far off. Sim racing in VR is the only thing driving my desire for more PC power. Outside of that my current PC can handle anything I throw at it with ease.
Yep, I fully agree!
I was in need of a new GPU since I upgraded my monitor from 1920x1080 60hz to 3440x1440 100hz.
Getting a nice monitor and having to lower settings, which actually lead to visibly worse looks wasn't great and any new games weren't really enjoyable.
I actually didn't get some games or stopped playing games due to that.

So in this case, it was worth it.
But now I'm in no rush to get anything better and I don't see myself getting a new monitor anytime soon either.
I guess the srtx 6500 ti or srtx 7600 might be my next GPU hehe. (super rtx :p)

The size of a high-end graphics card die and a higher-end Zen 3 chip (for example) are about the same, and they are run on the same or similar fab lines. This means they cost about the same to fabricate. So what is the cause of such an insane price disparity?

If it just comes down to supply and demand, then the blame can be aimed at miners, who want many GPU's per CPU (vs. one-to-one for typical consumers). But then wouldn't AMD logically remix their output to optimize profits, i.e. more higher-margin graphics chips and fewer lower-margin CPU's?

I suppose there are other factors and complications, but still, it's difficult to understand why I can get a high-end CPU at a decent price almost anywhere, but a graphics card nowhere at almost any price even after manufacturers have had a year or two to adjust to market demands.

Last edited:
Hi guys

is here anyone from Europe/Germany who already received their 3080 EVGA card, through the queue notify system. I registered back in Sep. 2020. I only got that info that the card will be an LHR one.

Thanks !

cheers

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes