Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

In terms of ethics, a distinction has to be made between scalpers who are buying up stock from retailers solely to sell on at a markup and consumers. People who decide to cash in on an asset they bought to use themselves initially are fine in my book.

The only problem is 'professional' scalpers inserting themselves in the supply chain to the benefit of no one but themselves. They take a massive cut and for that cut, they provide no practical service, and you don't get the aftersales support you'd get from a retailer.

I think we'll increasingly see government action. There have already been some moves to clamp down on ticket scalping and tech scalping is functionally and morally similar. There are some very simple things retailers can do to hinder scalpers but they mostly won't until forced to, unfortunately which is why regulation is needed.

Scan in the UK is a good example of of a retailer that has taken measures that are somewhat effective and they deserve support.

In terms of ethics, a distinction has to be made between scalpers who are buying up stock from retailers solely to sell on at a markup and consumers. People who decide to cash in on an asset they bought to use themselves initially are fine in my book.

The only problem is 'professional' scalpers inserting themselves in the supply chain to the benefit of no one but themselves. They take a massive cut and for that cut, they provide no practical service, and you don't get the aftersales support you'd get from a retailer.

I think we'll increasingly see government action. There have already been some moves to clamp down on ticket scalping and tech scalping is functionally and morally similar. There are some very simple things retailers can do to hinder scalpers but they mostly won't until forced to, unfortunately which is why regulation is needed.

Scan in the UK is a good example of of a retailer that has taken measures that are somewhat effective and they deserve support.
How much stock do you think scalpers are purchasing? Have you actually seen data that shows the percentage or volume? I tend to believe scalpers make up a relatively small percent of the GPU's sold.

I would not be a fan of government action. It seems that retailers could get more customers if I created queue systems for high demand products. Before an item goes on sail you get in line. When the item becomes on sale, you randomly pick a number that creates the start of the line. Everyone has an equal chance and there is no rush.

• Deleted member 197115

Speaking of queues, finally got my 3080 FTW3 Hybrid from EVGA. The cooling on the card is a beast, radiator with twin 120mm fans and fan on the card itself.
Dimensions of the card itself are actually smaller than EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid. Already updated MB BIOS to ReBar version and GPU to XOC ReBar.
Any monitoring software, including in game fps counter, adds some stutter in VR. How long will it take for NVidia to fix it? :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Are you enjoying the card without the fps showing? Or is the issue more than that?
Much more on flat screen than VR to be honest. It really shows substantial jump there, in VR I was honestly expecting bigger gain.
Could make ACC look a bit better with higher resolution scale and SS, but still 60fps, dialing down image quality to 90fps was not worth it to be honest.
AC night driving is also a problem, but it's more CSP/SOL optimization than anything else.
Guess next, next gen will do it. LOL :roflmao:

Much more on flat screen than VR to be honest. It really shows substantial jump there, in VR I was honestly expecting bigger gain.
Could make ACC look a bit better with higher resolution scale and SS, but still 60fps, dialing down image quality to 90fps was not worth it to be honest.
AC night driving is also a problem, but it's more CSP/SOL optimization than anything else.
Guess next, next gen will do it. LOL :roflmao:
It's one of the cons of VR IMO, it's "all or nothing" and performance jumps in steps due to the 30/60/90 Hz nature of some VR panels.
It's why I recommend you give an Index a shot. The Valve Index is smooth and doesn't require "steps" in performance so for me there was a noticeable difference in performance going from 5700XT > 3070 > 3080.

But yeah even I went back to a flat screen. :whistling:

• Deleted member 197115

How Index is "smooth", it has the same predefined refresh rates you can choose from 80 Hz, 90 Hz, 120 Hz, or 144 Hz, there is no VRR.
And G9 screen is not flat, you confused with Earth. :roflmao:

How Index is "smooth", it has the same predefined refresh rates you can choose from 80 Hz, 90 Hz, 120 Hz, or 144 Hz, there is no VRR.
And G9 screen is not flat, you confused with Earth. :roflmao:
I guess because it has more steps, I never noticed issues with smoothness. But for me there was a definite better framerate/smoothness with Index over my Reverb G1.
And hey, curve or not, that's a flat image lol.

For those (few?) who haven't heard, Nvidia is holding a news briefing of some sort on May 31, with most predicting that 3080ti and 3070ti models will be announced.

Of course, they are only doing that for giggles and laughs at the frustration it will cause amongst those without a phalanx of bots and buckets of FU-level cash at their disposal. :mad:

(Edit: slightly wrong thread, but yeah...)

Last edited:
Well my 9+ month wait in the EVGA queue continues. I received an update today. Does this mean anything I should be concerned about?

“This email is to notify you that there has been a change to your notification queue status. You previously signed up to be notified when 10G-P5-3881-KR became available, but due to ongoing product availability, you have been moved to the notification queue for 10G-P5-3881-KL, which features NVIDIA LHR. These cards offer the same gaming performance, but with reduced cryptomining performance (Ethereum). The products are identical in every other way. To learn more about NVIDIA LHR, click here.

EVGA has taken these steps to increase availability and speed up the queue for gamers looking to purchase a graphics card. Your notification queue position remains the same. However, if you wish to remain in the notification queue for 10G-P5-3881-KR you may "opt out " of this move; you will be once again placed back in the notification queue with your previous sign-up time. Please note that EVGA strongly recommends against opting out, because there is no ETA for availability and no guarantee that your order will be fulfilled for your original part number. Moreover, once you opt out, you may neither request to be placed back in the queue for 10G-P5-3881-KL, nor request an order notification for 10G-P5-3881-KL; you may only be in one queue at a time.”

Well my 9+ month wait in the EVGA queue continues. I received an update today. Does this mean anything I should be concerned about?

“This email is to notify you that there has been a change to your notification queue status. You previously signed up to be notified when 10G-P5-3881-KR became available, but due to ongoing product availability, you have been moved to the notification queue for 10G-P5-3881-KL, which features NVIDIA LHR. These cards offer the same gaming performance, but with reduced cryptomining performance (Ethereum). The products are identical in every other way. To learn more about NVIDIA LHR, click here.

EVGA has taken these steps to increase availability and speed up the queue for gamers looking to purchase a graphics card. Your notification queue position remains the same. However, if you wish to remain in the notification queue for 10G-P5-3881-KR you may "opt out " of this move; you will be once again placed back in the notification queue with your previous sign-up time. Please note that EVGA strongly recommends against opting out, because there is no ETA for availability and no guarantee that your order will be fulfilled for your original part number. Moreover, once you opt out, you may neither request to be placed back in the queue for 10G-P5-3881-KL, nor request an order notification for 10G-P5-3881-KL; you may only be in one queue at a time.”
Why should this be concerning? You are still standing in queue to be allowed to buy a product once it is available. It's like a the virtual edition of communism-photos of the 80s. Be happy you are not physically standing in line since 9 months:)

I don't think so, I think the concern was that shops would cancel the sales if they had to switch to LHR versions that were more expensive. The fact you've been moved onto those new cards is a good thing.

Why should this be concerning? You are still standing in queue to be allowed to buy a product once it is available. It's like a the virtual edition of communism-photos of the 80s. Be happy you are not physically standing in line since 9 months:)
My question was directed at the change of video card model. Is the new model really just as good for sim racing?

Waiting in a queue for a toy is a lot easier than waiting in a communist era food line.

Last edited:
They have a nerfed mining hashrate. If you never plan to mine then it’s no problem, but it possibly won’t be worth as much in resale as a ‘good to mine’ card, and of course it mines at half the speed/efficiency so if you fancied mining whilst you’re not using your computer to help pay for it, you will earn money very slowly or even not cover the cost of electricity to do it.

My question was directed at the change of video card model. Is the new model really just as good for sim racing?

Waiting in a queue for a toy is a lot easier than waiting in a communist era food line.
I see what you mean - hard to answer before they have been tested against each other in real word. I would assume, however, that gaming performance is exactly the same.
I haven't followed the whole thread so maybe this has been ruled out already but at least in my area there are (almost) all kinds of 3xxx GPUs available (in stock) from (e,g,) ASUS but none from EVGA. Maybe it would be easier to source one from another brand which is equally good.
Another possibility would be to inquire at EVGA about the gaming performance differences.

I haven't followed the whole thread so maybe this has been ruled out already but at least in my area there are (almost) all kinds of 3xxx GPUs available (in stock) from (e,g,) ASUS but none from EVGA. Maybe it would be easier to source one from another brand which is equally good.
Afaik the original prices are still honored for people in the queues, while the currently available cards are still way too expensive.

At German stores, you can find all GPUs right now. But a 3060 ti costs more than I paid for my 3080 that I ordered in September and got a few months later.

• Deleted member 197115

Afaik the original prices are still honored for people in the queues, while the currently available cards are still way too expensive.

At German stores, you can find all GPUs right now. But a 3060 ti costs more than I paid for my 3080 that I ordered in September and got a few months later.
Unfortunately not, that was until April 15th and IIRC they extended it into May, but I still had to pay full retail when my turn came.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.