Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Meh. SLI worked. It just got gradually less and less support from everyone. Nvidia, game devs etc.
Also, no-one has stock, regardless of GPU, consoles and so on.
Sure no one has stock, but Nvidia are only now admitting how bad things are. They've been saying since the beginning that they would have stock, then that it would be next month, then it's next quarter, now it's next year. They were never honest with everybody about what the conditions actually were. They would have known from the beginning they couldn't provide the quantities, or the prices they promised at the start. It was a bait and switch as far as I'm concerned.

They have a marketing department that seems to be disconnected from what the company is actually doing. They are willing to say or do anything to whip up hype. That's they're job, but it's managements job to keep a leash on their marketers and ensure they aren't telling fibs.

Left is the 70,right the 80.
I feel pretty glorious right now, lol :roflmao: :confused:
Did some testing with the 70 and now gonna out in the 80 and come back with some results later today :)

Fun fact: my overclocked 10600k is the limiting factor for ac, rf2 and acc already...
But I only get 23 fps in a rainy acc replay from track cams instead of the 80-90 fps from the cockpit while driving.
So this will nicely show the scaling :p

IMG_20210416_175413_437.jpg

First report:
You can look at the benchmarks everywhere to know the performance in theory.
My approach was more about how useful this card will be for me. Power consumption, temperatures, noise and fps gain for my usual racing and gaming.

EDIT:
What the.... Tried undervolting it (you can do a curve for the OC in Afterburner and when you lower the maximum and raise the lower clocks, the GPU will automatically pick the lowest voltage for the maximum clock speed).
FPS stayed the same or went higher, while the power consumption dropped to 3070 levels!
AC replay went from 295W at 60% load to 210W at 64% load. The 3070 showed 225W at 80% load!

ACC main menu without an fps limiter went from 317W, 100% load at 130 fps to 292W, 100% load at 135 fps.
The 3070 showed 270W, 100% load and only 106 fps!

The best thing about this:
- the cooler has more surface (shroud and fans are identical though!)
- when undervolted, any coil rattle/wine is GONE!
- thanks to these 2 points, my 3080 is now a slightly more powerful, absolutely silent "3070". This card went from meh to AWESOME within 2 hours, lol!

Original post:
So far I'm not sure if I'll keep it or give the 3080 to the friend who currently would by my 3070.
It uses quite a lot more power but isn't really giving me any fps.
This was expected, since AC and ACC are currently CPU limited, most of the time. Apparently Valhalla is too...

The only gain I'm seeing is that I don't have the occasional drops in Valhalla and that I won't be GPU limited in ACC, when the CPU isn't limiting.
But as you can see I'm not gaining any average fps. The difference in my driving position was bigger than the GPU difference...
Is it worth having 2x the power consumption, when not gaming and about 80W more when gaming, just to have some headroom?

Here's the Excel Screenshot:

1618608208747.png

Last edited:
Those are 3060's. Even the local PC shop here in Japan has a ton of those sitting on shelves. The makers raised the MSRP of them to $600 USD, so no one is touching them. They also have 6700XT's for an eye broccoli price of $850 USD, so those also sit around collecting dust.
Whenever they get 3060 Ti/3070/3080, they can't hold them for more than an hour before someone speeds over to pick them up.
They also have a ton of 3090's, but again, for like $2800.

@RasmusP thanks for reminding me about undervolting ! I just undervolted my 2080ti to 1950mhz @ 0.950mv and dropped 5-10c on max temps and 70w of power draw under full load. Only lost 1% on my Timespy scores and gaming performance loss is close to zero. Which is nice :)
Almost as nice as that 3080 of yours, almost... :thumbsup:

You're in the wrong country
There's stock in New Zealand as well, due to taxing on electronics it's too expensive there for many, in addition, they have opened up their country, and have been open for a long time. Less people wanting stuff then.

In fact, it's not that much more expensive to get someone in NZ to buy a 3080, ship it with priority shipping to Norway, and then pay customs etc to get it in here. If it would be possible to buy pre-tax card in NZ and ship it to Norway, that would be cheaper than buying it in Norway :p It's insane.

I really hope my 1070ti can keep going. My old 780OC died and the 1070ti was a replacement, I intended on replacing it this year, however with prices how they are, I refuse to pay such extortionate rates. I honestly think if my card died I would just pack up my PC and wait for things to calm down on the price front.

Ideally I was looking for a low power hero card. I dont crave mega resolutions or uber 2000fps 4K gaming, I have a 2K monitor and am happy with 90fps+, however all the new nVidia cards had pretty horrific power draw requirements, I was hoping for something more like a 1660ti on steriods.

Last edited:
The 3080Ti is supposed to drop in May with features to make it less attractive to crypto miners. Time will tell if the price will actually stay anywhere near list. Unfortunately I think there are now people camped out buying up all GPU's to scalp them, so time will tell.

It's a bout time people started boycotting these products. As long as people keep buying cards at inflated prices then this isn't going to stop any time soon. The ideal scenario would be scalpers left with a load of stock they can't sell.

It's a bout time people started boycotting these products. As long as people keep buying cards at inflated prices then this isn't going to stop any time soon. The ideal scenario would be scalpers left with a load of stock they can't sell.
Basic supply and demand economics at play. Only solution is to increase supply and/or reduce demand. I don’t think scalpers are the problem. I think most people that have a card paid retail price.

Well I finally got my two Asus RTX3080 OC after waiting for nearly 7 months and now they are saying they are going to release the 3080Ti Noooo. I wonder how long we will have wait for these to come to hand down under in Australia. Let alone the price. (Oh by the way they are for 2x separate computers)

RTX3080 OC.jpg

Last edited:
Basic supply and demand economics at play. Only solution is to increase supply and/or reduce demand. I don’t think scalpers are the problem. I think most people that have a card paid retail price.
There is a certain amount of that but I think Nvidia could have done a lot more to inform customers. It wasn't until really recently that they finally admitted we're not getting cards any time this year. They keep saying next month when it would have been clear to them really early on that it was impossible for them to meet demand.

The scalpers are a real issue. I'm on a waiting list on OCUK and every so often someone drops out of the cue after they gave up and paid the scalper prices. The only certain way to buy a card right this second is through scalpers, they wouldn't be putting so much effort into snapping them up if they weren't making money at it.

I think Nvidia could be doing more to help their intended customer base, but they don't seem all that pushed about it because at the end of the day they get their money.

I've bought other products that were supposed to be in short demand and yet I got them. Nvidia seems to be doing the worst, I can appreciate it's a new product launch but my patience ran out 2 months ago.

There is a certain amount of that but I think Nvidia could have done a lot more to inform customers. It wasn't until really recently that they finally admitted we're not getting cards any time this year. They keep saying next month when it would have been clear to them really early on that it was impossible for them to meet demand.

The scalpers are a real issue. I'm on a waiting list on OCUK and every so often someone drops out of the cue after they gave up and paid the scalper prices. The only certain way to buy a card right this second is through scalpers, they wouldn't be putting so much effort into snapping them up if they weren't making money at it.

I think Nvidia could be doing more to help their intended customer base, but they don't seem all that pushed about it because at the end of the day they get their money.

I've bought other products that were supposed to be in short demand and yet I got them. Nvidia seems to be doing the worst, I can appreciate it's a new product launch but my patience ran out 2 months ago.
It would be interesting to know the percentage that go to scalpers. I am guessing the percentage is under 5%. It is a very frustrating situation.

The sad thing is now for the average joe, if their current card gives up on them, they have almost no option to buy a replacement.

That could be a serious potential issue for many of us.

Yep...and that's why I'm not selling my 1080 ti even though I could probably get real good money for it right now. I'm keeping it just in case my 2080 ti would crap out on me for one reason or another, at least I'll have a back-up card at hand.

I think it's okay to talk about 3070 here. It's basically the same series and just as hard to get.
BTW, if you're upset about getting a 3080 when the 3080 Ti is coming soon, don't be. It's highly possible the 3080 will be worth nearly double what the 3080 Ti is since it can mine Ethereum.
Nvidia is going to start mixing non-crypto capable 3080's with regular 3080's, this is going to mean much cheaper 3080's for gamers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back