Who Was Your Sim Racing Developer of the Year?

Why do you vote for RF2? What have they achieved this year? Released 3 dlс? Is this an achievement? It sucks! In this case, the whole game is standing still, and there are only more problems that the developers are not going to solve at all. They can only promise, but they can not do anything except new cars!

Why not gRally? These guys have a very small staff, but they are constantly evolving.

Why no one votes for iRacing? They are also developing. Finally made the shift of the day.

I will give my voice to the guys from Reiza. Their brainchild (Automobilista) will please us for a long time. It's so good that all the other Sims are still very far behind!

I think you may need to read each road map from the year. DX11 was deployed for a start taking it out of beta.

G27/G29 rotational bug a well know issue raised when ISI were in charge was fixed.

New HUD, new shaders just released, should I go on?

Each to their own chap, but at least try and be factual :)

My vote RF2, why - because without them the game would have been long dead and a total waste of my money when I purchased when it was first released.

Marcel Offermans - is active on this forum also helps as it gives you that personable perception that he has passion and cares about what the team release.

Last edited:
S397 for sure. They made this horrible looking and content lacking title(outstanding physics though) into an appealing one!

I disagree, firstly it has never been as ugly as you say. True, they are doing a great job now with few really good cars, the VR is awesome and I love their rendering of Sebring, fantastic, but at the moment they seem to hold on to the same biggest problem rF2 has had: they keep changing directions too often. They had started the Formula-E with cars and 1 track, but then moved away from there (I was expecting at least to see how good Rome is from my car :D). They keep adding cars but at a pretty steep price as well. Maybe 2019 will their year :cool:

I disagree, firstly it has never been as ugly as you say. True, they are doing a great job now with few really good cars, the VR is awesome and I love their rendering of Sebring, fantastic, but at the moment they seem to hold on to the same biggest problem rF2 has had: they keep changing directions too often. They had started the Formula-E with cars and 1 track, but then moved away from there (I was expecting at least to see how good Rome is from my car :D). They keep adding cars but at a pretty steep price as well. Maybe 2019 will their year :cool:
Not tried, but sure there is a Rome mod on the steam workshop :)

I agree with you here; however there have been sneak previews of the Fe version 2

• Deleted member 379375

Not tried, but sure there is a Rome mod on the steam workshop :)

I agree with you here; however there have been sneak previews of the Fe version 2
It was every bit as ugly not that it matters now, glad people called it out and the sim is better for it now

Kunos is worse developer of the year to me. For a silly reason - IMO they achieved best simulation this year, and they turned it down because of negative reactions, which were explainable.

Also for encouraging fanboyism, and discouraging critical thinking. Simracing without skepticism won't do it.

Studio 397 and Reiza - best developers.

This is a tough one and it was between Reiza and S397. In the end I had to go with Marcel and his team this year. The amount of work they've done is astonishing. I'm so happy they took over ISI. There are still some issues but the fact is rF2 keeps getting better.
Even though AMS is at the end of the development and the sim is so polished it doesn't need much attention from devs - yet Reiza still keeps adding new content, but understandably it's not as frequent. That's why it was so tough to choose.
Finally, not far behind is Sector3Studios. They've been busy as well, and for me the most notable was bringing some of the older content to new physics (most happy with BMW M3 GT2), as well as improving some sounds (again, BMW M3 GT2). Now it would be totally awesome if they could finally fix the Porsche sounds (transmission whine) :p, but knowing Anthony he'll work on it once he has a chance.
I wish we could award at least 3 devs (3 points, 2 points, 1 point). Having just one vote is a bit unfair to the others. For 2018 my voting goes like this
1. S397 - rFactor2
2. Reiza - Automobilista
3. Sector3Studios - Raceroom

Last edited:
Sim racing developer of the year has to be SMS for Project Cars 2 for me, unpopular here I know, but they created a sim that works equally well on PC and console, huge amount of licensed content, day night cycle, real endurance racing, changing weather true 4K graphics and stable framerate. By far the best VR quality and stability too. The way the light changes in the cockpit as the sun moves and then the claustrophobic feel of the car at night is just stunning, as real as I’ve experienced. The later DLC packs were created with great detail, reasonably priced and with some in depth development insights from the creators. We’ve had 100s of hours of good racing on PC and console too. Sure many elements could be improved but that’s the case for all sims I’ve played so far.

Codemasters also deserve a special mention for the accuracy of rules and flags in F1 2018 on PC and console. Also their wet to dry track feel is superb.

Yes ACC is developing way better than I expected but it isn’t there yet and needs a monster of a PC to run it well. Kunos are a great PC developer but proved to be awful with AC on console. RF2 sure it has improved and VR is much better but dated graphics and many rendering issues with opposition cars make it hard to enjoy.

Now if the title had said Racing Game developer of the year it would have to have been Playground Games, easy for all to enjoy. The full Fortune Island map drift track in the Formula Drift cars is stunning, the real Top Gear of racing games!

A fabulous year for racing games all round, we really never have had so much quality choice.

• Deleted member 637371

As much as I love Kunos for their previous work with AC, I'm kind of surprised by the amount of love they are recieving here given their only contribution this year was the EA release of ACC.

ACC is far from complete, so much so, that i stopped playing it so I wouldnt give up hope on the final prooduct.
I have awaited every update in ACC with anticipation since its releaase on Sep 12th, each time i have been disappointed with its progress.

Seriously, all of those giving credit to Kunos for ACC, what is getting you so excited at this early stage? What part of the EA picture am i missing with ACC? I want to be excited about the sim but i cant find anything to warrant the level of hype suurrounding the game right now. As things stand, I have more questions than answers about this game in its current state. I fear we may not get the Sim we had hoped for, fingers crossed im wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 637371

None of the above. Mine personally goes to Ilja and the rest of the ContentManager and associated co. dev gang that pretty much developed an entirely new UI for AC, a feat that is taking some other developers an eternity to accomplish and adding features through CM to a AC like day/night and (wip) weather effects that Kunos themselves wouldn't ever have implemented thus giving AC a proper second wind and a much needed mid-lifecycle refresh. Massive respect to those guys for the pace at which they operate for literally no money. :p

Good shout. Content Manager is the best mod you can get for AC.

Your points about what they achieved given their budget and size of team helps put into perspective the disconnect between some Devlopers and their customers regarding what customers want. It took modders to resolve one of the biggest gripes with AC since its release. Top work guys. Anyone without CM, do yourself a favour and pick it up. MAGA - Make Assetto Great Again.

As much as I love Kunos for their previous work with AC, I'm kind of surprised by the amount of love they are recieving here given their only contribution this year was the EA release of ACC.

ACC is far from complete, so much so, that i stopped playing it so I wouldnt give up hope on the final prooduct.
I have awaited every update in ACC with anticipation since its releaase on Sep 12th, each time i have been disappointed with its progress.

Seriously, all of those giving credit to Kunos for ACC, what is getting you so excited at this early stage? What part of the EA picture am i missing with ACC? I want to be excited about the sim but i cant find anything to warrant the level of hype suurrounding the game right now. As things stand, I have more questions than answers about this game in its current state. I fear we may not get the Sim we had hoped for, fingers crossed im wrong.

It's developed and published by Kunos (505 Games console version). EA has nothing to do with publishing AC or ACC. God only knows what level of damage EA would do to Assetto Corsa.

It was a tough call between Reiza & Studio 397 for me. In the end my vote went for Studio 397 due to the progress they've made with rFactor2. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do in 2019.
Respect for the other Developers also who all work hard. It's a good time to be into sim racing

Big hats off to ALL the developers from me for sticking with some core principles against the plagues that are leaving other gaming genres the victims of a scorched earth policy - microtransactions, loot boxes, pay to win, gold editions, collectors editions and having you wallet generally fixated on throughout a gaming experience. Even the game which many people seem to find the most egregious in it's pricing model, iracing, seems positively fair, honest and rational compared to what has gripped the wider development community. You can still join iracing on the base content and get hundreds of hours of unique experiences for a year, without a single player disadvantage, and all for £60. As for DLC, people that quibble about it's cost ought to look at the billions, not millions, being made by major publishers by making their games glorified shops. So massive thumbs up to sim racing developer community.

As for this year, ACC still obviously has a way to go, but for taking a stray dog in and trying to prep it for Crufts, it has to be everyone at Studio 397 and their labour of love. I think their interaction with the community has been exceptional, never shying away from criticism, and they have struck a good balance between key structural developments, having to raise money through DLC to keep people paid, and gifting some wonderful free goodies. The horizon stabiliser in rF2 introduced this year has, for me, taken VR to an almost iracing level of fidelity that I didn't think possible.

I know some people will never forgive rF2 for it's idiosyncrasies, but it's progress has been nothing shy of remarkable (compare the improvements Bethesda has made to it's core engine in the last decade for example). In those moments when rF2 doesn't want to kick you in the nuts, and you find that exceptional car/track combo, it still remains a drive like no other and the gold standard. They've taken a dead game and put it back in the conversation, and that's some achievement.

• Deleted member 637371

It's developed and published by Kunos (505 Games console version). EA has nothing to do with publishing AC or ACC. God only knows what level of damage EA would do to Assetto Corsa.

EA= Early Access. Sorry for confusion.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea