Who Was Your Sim Racing Developer of the Year?

Seriously, all of those giving credit to Kunos for ACC, what is getting you so excited at this early stage? What part of the EA picture am i missing with ACC? I want to be excited about the sim but i cant find anything to warrant the level of hype suurrounding the game right now. As things stand, I have more questions than answers about this game in its current state. I fear we may not get the Sim we had hoped for, fingers crossed im wrong.

For me it is so far the benchmark in everything else other than the graphics engine.

They still have developed a new game instead of a few DLC's and fixes. On the other hand if amount of engine work is the priority, the prize should go to Ilja. He alone has done way more impressive stuff than any of the listed studios this year.

• Deleted member 637371

For me it is so far the benchmark in everything else other than the graphics engine.

They still have developed a new game instead of a few DLC's and fixes. On the other hand if amount of engine work is the priority, the prize should go to Ilja. He alone has done way more impressive stuff than any of the listed studios this year.

Well we shall agree on the benefits of Content Manager and the outstanding work done by the Dev Ilja.
I cant agree on ACC though... as the only real innovation for me is the inclusion of the Driver Rating system and the inclusion of a Pitcrew/Spotter (I will continue to use Dave on Crew Chief if given the option!). The rest of the game is raw and behind its competitors at this stage of its Early Access, for me at least...

Happy New Year!

For the game itself, S397. But that's simply a personal preference for its handling. With the last two physics updates it is even better despite still having portions that are heavily work in progress. Again, it is nothing about being more or less realistic than other games. Just a preference.

When it comes to business though nothing beats Kunos since the first AC and after the deal with 505 things got into an even higher gear. The popular brands licensing, the pricing strategy, the publicity, the rate of development, the partnerships, the mainstream engine adoption with UE4, etc. All of that wrapped around a core handling that many consider to be the best out there in both cases of AC and ACC. If I had to invest I would go for Kunos.

Well we shall agree on the benefits of Content Manager and the outstanding work done by the Dev Ilja.
I cant agree on ACC though... as the only real innovation for me is the inclusion of the Driver Rating system and the inclusion of a Pitcrew/Spotter (I will continue to use Dave on Crew Chief if given the option!). The rest of the game is raw and behind its competitors at this stage of its Early Access, for me at least...

Happy New Year!

I'm mostly talking about the physics and sounds. Onboard audio doesn't sound like a GoPro capture but full-blown environmental experience instead and physics are a massive step up from AC. In it's current form it pretty much combines the best bits from iRacing and rF2 in physics department. Also the rating (and guiding) system is pretty well thought. It is also teaching smoother driving. Driving in ACC is not just hard driving but manipulating the car efficiently through the corners which is quite rewarding experience. Especially when the sound engine goes so well hand in hand with the physics engine including marbles and floor scraping. Unfortunately the UE4 makes it very hard to enjoy the brilliance of the core itself.

I wish I could triple vote. After the dev dinner at the ring I really wanna vote those three up (Reiza, 397 and Kunos) . It was very interesting to hear from them.

• Deleted member 637371

I'm mostly talking about the physics and sounds. Onboard audio doesn't sound like a GoPro capture but full-blown environmental experience instead and physics are a massive step up from AC. In it's current form it pretty much combines the best bits from iRacing and rF2 in physics department. Also the rating (and guiding) system is pretty well thought. It is also teaching smoother driving. Driving in ACC is not just hard driving but manipulating the car efficiently through the corners which is quite rewarding experience. Especially when the sound engine goes so well hand in hand with the physics engine including marbles and floor scraping. Unfortunately the UE4 makes it very hard to enjoy the brilliance of the core itself.

A fair point about the sound engine in ACC, I agree it is excellent and I failed to mention that.
I'm not sure the GT3 cars sounds surpass those of R3E or the new rF2 GT3 cars, but the GT3 sounds in all 3 titles are great imo.

The driving physics are pretty solid as is the FFB in ACC, but again it's far too early for me to make a call on whether I think they are the new benchmark. I just checked my total play time of ACC in Steam and i have a total of 5 hours (Prob only 3.5-4hrs actual playtime!) and i bought the game on its release. The absense of head tracking has been a huge factor in my short play time, but also because the lure of more complete titles such as R3E, AC, AMS and fast improving rF2 is too strong. ACC has a lot of catching up to do on the other titles, but I have confidence Kunos will deliver in 2019. My point is they havent delivered for me in 2018.

I don't have experience of all the developers on the list so I can only choose by experience of those titles I have. I have also limited my evaluation to 2018 only and tried to avoid just voting for my "favourite" developer/game.

Reiza - we've had the drift series and the Pumas - can't really say its set my world on fire but I presume they are working on their next title. Not a contender IMO.

Studio 397 - much of the new stuff has passed me by - too expensive so I haven't bought it. But at least the selection of cars in each DLC makes sense and the move to laser scanning is a step in the right direction. Bought the 911 GT3 recently to see if I was missing out. Car graphics do seem better but Silverstone still looks terrible. Why is the new UI taking so long? So overall going in the right direction but not setting new standards.

Sector 3 - WTCR, GT4s and the 934. As usual with RR, the packs are grouped by racing series but none of them appealed enough for me to actually buy them. Same with the tracks out this year.- I like Road America but it seemed too smooth in RR so again I passed. Solid but not groundbreaking in 2018.

SMS - some solid work on patching PC2 (it needed it!) and some great value DLCs. The Le Mans DLC stood out for me - the classic track is a work of art. Mugello in the Ferrari DLC was a great addition - Leipzig in the Porsche DLC not so much. But while we all knew PC2 was not a long term project there is still polishing to do and SMS didn't finish the job. Rules them out for me.

Kunos - superb launch and hype/marketing for their new title - other developers (especially Simbin) this is how it should be done. Incredibly generous EA pricing - for less than the price of a couple of rF2 dlcs you could get the whole game. They have a clear vision and focus for their title which I don't get from many other developers. With lots of pre-release public demos, when the EA roadmap was released it seemed to me they were sandbagging with a very conservative release program. Clearly we would get limited content and functionality but surely what we got would work. Well it seems I was naive. I wasn't expecting the issues with graphics, physics, AI, multiplayer and general game crashing that have occurred. I was frankly shocked at how bad the game looked on my PC and how badly the cars drove, but they have improved with each patch/update.

But despite my issues with the EA version of ACC, for me in 2018 Kunos are moving forward across all aspects of sim racing - physcis, graphics, AI, sound, multiplayer, track modelling, day/night, dynamic track and weather. Combine this with great marketing and generous (almost give-away) pricing, they are my developer of 2018.

I was undecided whether to vote for Kunos Simulazioni or Studio 397.
@Marcel Offermans did a really good job taking the lead of the boat, which was floating in calm waters, bringing it to new territories. On the other side, @kunos pulled something that can become a great sim, out of his hat, confirming the quality of their work!

I'm Italian, so Kunos Simulazioni receives my vote :inlove::thumbsup:
But thanks to all the people involved in racing simulations, especially the indie developers!

I voted S 397 because the work provided goes far beyond what I could have hoped for compared to isi in just 2 years.
For the other simu, I hope they will at least get closer to the work of S397 for the feeling behind the wheel that I find incomparable.
As I can reinstall them again, I cross my fingers.

My list,

1. S397 best psyghics... never cant stop drivjng. The old Spa in the Brabham in VR.. brings you on other levels... hope S397 they can bring more historic tracks. NORDSCHLEIFE 1966...?

2. Raceroom Experience... the multi classes give it a high score in this end of this year.. now can we drive real VLN experience... most compleet friendly race sim for offline racing. Lot of tracks!!! Best Nord in simracing!

3. REIZA... psyghics and a lot of fun the new pumas give me a smile... cant never stop driving AMS :thumbsup: Hope in the next year they come with more news... they have the best historic tracks together.. hope for more.. hope for VR and europe tracks... cars in future. That is what it missing.

4. ACC.... Eye candy Sim blaincpain serries... a lot of details on the tracks very nice! Like the eye candy cars...
But strange grip in corners.. can not throw with the cars..
Like the sound it is beter than before psyghics are far better... dan AC I like the Gt3,s very much!!
Wait for the Amg GT3

All developers making good things for our hobby. In my early days there was only gp2 gp3 and Grandprix legends

Reiza (S397 tight second place)!!!
AMS is a great sim (the most complete package in my opinion) and can't wait for new title!
Reiza guys are awesome, they work hard (updating AMS while working hard for setting the base of the new game), very kind towards their customers (a lot of free stuff) and the less toxic fan base overall (AMS themed forums or driver's groups are so polite each other)!
With them I feel at home...

I'm gonna have to say Black Delta. Even though KartKraft is still in EA, it already has the addiction factor. The physics feel realistic as well (though I only got it about a week ago, so I can't compare it to before recent updates), and the game looks absolutely incredible.

I'm an admitted Reiza fanboy but some other games have slowly stolen more and more of my attention real estate as the year went on. And some of the waits were/are rough. Still far and away the sim I played the most in 2018 but I haven't even reinstalled it since my PC rebuild in November! I'm a bad boy... :redface:

ACC got me excited and they're sticking to their roadmap. But. I feel like that's all they're sticking to. Some optimization love (especially in VR, though I know that doesn't affect all) is needed. Content stream is fine, bug fixes too, but I was hoping for some polish by now. Still playing it either way and appreciate the introductory rate pricing.

rF2 had me during Summer for a brief moment when I first got VR but I've just always had a hard time getting into rF2. Maybe it's that mythical UI I was looking forward to last year. Maybe it's something else. I dunno, never figured it out. But they've no doubt been working hard.

So I ended up voting for Black Delta and KartKraft. Definitely a "what have you done for me lately" vote. And definitely a biased vote by it being shiny and new. But their work rate since release has been great. In fact, their work rate is what convinced me to actually risk the buy. Too many Early Access and half finished pipe dreams clutter my Steam library and so I just watched from afar. But I kept reading release notes and liking what I saw and bought it on Winter Sale. Good communication too. KartKraft needs the most work of anything I drive but from the developer side of ideas, work rate, bug fixes, communication, etc; They're killing it. Reiza or Kunos probably truly deserve the vote for the other 360 days of 2018. But screw it. Black Delta gets my meaningless forum vote. :p

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 174 87.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 57 28.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 71 35.7%