Which VR headset do you use for sim racing poll?

got vr running but every time i put the headset on it takes me to the house at the ocean,but the game does not run , i know it is something simple ,and i am simple any clues chaps

• Deleted member 197115

1) make sure WMR portal is not running
2) start SteamVR, that will also launch WMR portal but won't take you to cliff house
3) start the game (in VR mode)
4) put on headset

You can also launch game while in VR after step 2 by using SteamVR dashboard (press thumbstick)

There are many ways to get going.
I start Mixed Reality for SteamVR from the desktop shortcut.
The Cliff house starts. I remove the Headset, minimize the Cliff House and start the game I want to run.

You can also just start a SteamVR game directly from the steam library and WMR for steamVR starts automatic.

Since I upgraded my Gpu the Cliff House is not starting before the SteamVR game only the combustor but as soon as I exit the game the cliff house starts and continue until I reboot.
If I knew why I would permanent disable the Cliff House as it is pointless for me.
Before it helped to put the Cliff house visual to low but I now find Automatic gives me the same if not better fps in the VR games?
Guess Automatic are putting the cliff house on low when not visual?

thanks andrew and barney ,one step closer , i am now in a room where i see i gigantic steam vr screen and on another wall some controllers asking me to press the button on my controller to begin , but i have no button only mouse ,and mouse is not showing up,but it does show up in the cliff house , also the game is on my main monitor ,is that correct , many thanks for this to

one more step closer , i connected an x box controller,and have now started raceroom but now the playing screen is tiny in the big steam room , but now the mouse is working so can navigate around ,the game is really pixalated also ,hard to make out what's what , not sure if it is something in nividia cp

Sounds like you got in SteamVR home?
You can turn that off in SteamVr settings.

Regarding RaceRoom Experience.
Not using it much but just tried.
If you click on RRE doesn't it give you option to start it in 32 bit and 64 bit + 32 or 64 bit SteamVR?
In the past you could add =vr X.X to the launch options where x.x was / is SS

But first start RRE in normal monitor mode and in VR settings assign a button to Reset VR position.
That is center view!
You will need it! as the menu might be way off when you get it started.

thanks barney ,yes it seems i am in vr home ,i managed to get acc2 going in that room ,and this time it filled the screen ,but was having real trouble navigating the menus i managed to sit in the car and start it the accelerator would work but the paddles did not ,but some how it had mapped the paddles to the x box ,also everything is not so clear , i will have to play with graphics, and set the controllers again

ok this time i got ac1 going ful grid of cars 23 at monza ,was drivable ,but oh so blurry ,i nearly puked:confused: , i reduced the cars but it made no difference to quality ,then after that , wmr seemed to have a mind of it's own stopping and starting ,now i cannot do anything ,even after pc re-starts, i actually need to give it rest ,it is doing my head in ,thanks for your time chaps

ok this time i got ac1 going ful grid of cars 23 at monza ,was drivable ,but oh so blurry ,i nearly puked:confused: , i reduced the cars but it made no difference to quality ,then after that , wmr seemed to have a mind of it's own stopping and starting ,now i cannot do anything ,even after pc re-starts, i actually need to give it rest ,it is doing my head in ,thanks for your time chaps
What's your IPD?
Go to trylive.com and get an accurate measurement of it.
You'll need a webcam and a credit card styled card...(finally have a use for those junk mail style cards).
It'll give you the exact IPD...no guesswork.

Last edited:
What's your IPD?
Go to trylive.com and get an accurate measurement of it.
You'll need a webcam and a credit card styled card...(finally have a use for those junk mail style cards).
It'll give you the exact IPD...no guesswork.
hi terry it is about 60mm pretty much ,i have not got a web cam ,i also forgot to mention before is when i did get a race going there is a big 8 figure polygon stretching way up that is there while racing ,but it is also there before the game starts which is in wmr in a large room ,but stays there during the race ,maybe my starting procedure is all wrong?

hi terry it is about 60mm pretty much ,i have not got a web cam ,i also forgot to mention before is when i did get a race going there is a big 8 figure polygon stretching way up that is there while racing ,but it is also there before the game starts which is in wmr in a large room ,but stays there during the race ,maybe my starting procedure is all wrong?
I can't say I've ever seen that before.
What are your system specs?
I know you said it appears in WMR but Is it only present after starting WMR...or is it there during normal Windows task?
Let's see if we can get this sorted.
I really want you to enjoy the experience that is simracing.

cheers terry i really want it to work to ,the white lines are only in the procedure of when i start steam vr then wmr starts ,and then i select a game from the list in wmr, then i get those big white lines to the roof of the room ,it looks like it is designed for you to stand in there , but it also there when the game starts and is running , my pc is fairly new it is an i7 8700 at 3.7 ghz with 16 gigs of ram and a 11gig 1080 titan

@noel...Can you turn off boundary in WMR and SVR to see if the lines are affected.
Are the lines also visible on your monitor?
If so grab you phone and take a pix.so I can see what it looks like.

hi terry i cannot get anything to work now the lenovo software seems like it is disconnecting and reconnecting all the time ,on the software it says ready then all of a sudden it disconnect's and it does that repeatedly ,so steam vr then shuts down , i uninstalled lenovo tried different usb ports ,still the same

hi terry i cannot get anything to work now the lenovo software seems like it is disconnecting and reconnecting all the time ,on the software it says ready then all of a sudden it disconnect's and it does that repeatedly ,so steam vr then shuts down , i uninstalled lenovo tried different usb ports ,still the same
and not sure if the lines were on the monitor

@noel...it may not be a bad idea to remove everything and start over.
Since external links are frowned upon in the open forum, I'll send you one by pm.
It details from start to finish what you do to get it all running...from turning on settings in the registry to actually running games in SteamVR.
Make certain to run 10.0.17760.1000 Hololens driver for later versions on Windows 10.

Similar scenario was happening to me.

First, check on your BIOS and ensure you have USB3.0 legacy mode disabled. This setting may be different depending on the BIOS you are using.
Second, check you are using High Performance energy plan on windows, and inside that energy plan, go to the advanced options and verify on USB settings the USB selective suspend setting is set to Disabled. This ensure there are no energy saving modes on the USB devices you have.

Hope this will help.

@noel...it may not be a bad idea to remove everything and start over.
Since external links are frowned upon in the open forum, I'll send you one by pm.
It details from start to finish what you do to get it all running...from turning on settings in the registry to actually running games in SteamVR.
Make certain to run 10.0.17760.1000 Hololens driver for later versions on Windows 10.
thanks terry, uninstalled everything and now i am getting an error message when the portal starts up

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back